Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

looking for any kind of English speaking jobs in Amsterdam

looking for any kind of English speaking jobs in Amsterdam

Old May 26th 2016, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

heroraj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default looking for any kind of English speaking jobs in Amsterdam

hello everyone,
I worked in the UK for 18 years but had to relocate to the Nederlands and am desperately looking for any kind of work. I am a British Citizen and do not have problems with work permit. any help or suggestions is very much appreciated.
Old May 26th 2016, 11:19 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking for any kind of English speaking jobs in Amsterdam

Hello and welcome to the forum

I've shifted your post from the Welcome Inn into the Netherlands section of the forum, as your question is quite country specific. I hope somebody can give you some pointers in here.
Old May 27th 2016, 6:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hello and welcome to the forum

I've shifted your post from the Welcome Inn into the Netherlands section of the forum, as your question is quite country specific. I hope somebody can give you some pointers in here.
thank you Raj
Old May 27th 2016, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

What are your skills? There is a list of recruitment websites on the Netherlands wiki page to look at.
Old May 27th 2016, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy
What are your skills? There is a list of recruitment websites on the Netherlands wiki page to look at.
hi, thanks for writing back I am a doctor however do not want to get registered with BIG and follow the health route since it is a very long road but I feel this has given me chance to explore other things not necessarily medical but any health related in fact anything your help in this matter is very much appreciated.
Old May 28th 2016, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

The only people I've met in the health field who haven't required fluent Dutch are one Australian and one American physiotherapist who set up their own private practice (with a Dutch colleague). I don't need to tell you that someone who is dealing with the old and young, the poorly educated, etc needs to be absolutely fluent in the local language if they're to understand them with complete clarity.

I think any future employer would be suspicious why you'd be willing to give up many, many years of postgraduate training because joining BIG is a lengthy (1-2 year max while you learn the language?) process. As a doctor, surely you'd pick the language up very quickly, never having left the learning curve? Or have you been told by Nuffic that you'd need to update your qualifications?
Old May 28th 2016, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with RWF; my wife is a Dutch trained medical professional who now works in the NHS; she tells me that clear communications with the patient and colleagues is absolutely essential to good/safe practice. All that said, I can understand the need to earn a living and the OP needs to realise that he/she is unlikely to get any social security support from the Dutch should he/she decide to try and learn the language.

I'd try the Uitzendbureaus listed in the "Useful Info For Living In and Working In The Netherlands" link at the top of the Dutch Forum page; try the medical jobs first, who knows, you may get some kind of research work that doesn't involve patient facing care.

Good luck with your search.
Old May 28th 2016, 12:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

A good friend of mine went to Denmark when he had almost no Danish, but got a job doing research and lecturing at a large university, because like the Netherlands half of undergraduate degrees are given in English anyway. He soon picked up the language and now lectures in Danish too. As it happens he started out lecturing to medical students despite not being a medical doctor himself.
Old May 29th 2016, 7:33 am
Just Joined

thank you all for your suggestions. Will follow them up. Raj
Old Jun 9th 2016, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Raj,

Pulaski made me think of some other options. There is a huge pharm industry here which recruits people with medical backgrounds for working in clinical trials, etc. I believe this is one of the main agencies used for recruitment https://www.docsglobal.com/about-docs/about-us/.

There are also several publishers here who produce English language medical and scientific journals. These include Reeds-Elsevier in Amsterdam, and Wolters-Kluwer in Alphen aan de Rijn, among others. It might be worth checking the careers sections on their websites to see if they offer anything suited to your background.