Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

An imaginatively titled Belgian thread...

An imaginatively titled Belgian thread...

Old Nov 30th 2018, 4:42 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An imaginatively titled Belgian thread...

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Unfortunately, we have now entered into a heightened state of hostilities with Swiss health insurance vis-à-vis them supplying completed S1 forms – proof of current health insurance – in order to satisfy the Belgian authorities for issuance of ID cards.

Whereas here in Belgium the authorities as well as the health insurance companies (we have three potential insurers) continue to bend over backwards to assist us, the Swiss are unhelpful at best, to be honest bloody well obstructive would be a better description. They are refusing to supply the completed S1 forms, as yet I have no idea on what realistic grounds. I have their view as to why not, but as far as I’m concerned that can go into category ‘utter testicles’. Jobsworth/fonctionaire/whatever. Gits.

We’re now on a short time fuse; we’ve used most of our 90 days required to complete the A-Z formalities here, but we won’t make the final hurdle within the 90 day period. I’m confident that we’ll be granted the 30 day extension here, so that means I’ll be spending a fair chunk of December back in CH, which is just what I don’t need, especially at this time of year.

Not currently a happy bunny.

On the bright side the house remains perfect, we still (amazingly) have two cats, and the food in local restaurants is excellent, plus I'm now beginning to speak Flemish to the French equivalent of a Spanish cow...
You seem to have bad luck here with the Swiss not cooperating.
I tried to find some more info for you, but I am completely confused about it all.
You need to have health insurance before you get an ID ?
And you need this S1 form before you can get health insurance ?
Is this private insurance or joining the state system ?

Don't think I can find an easy way out for you, but it intrigues me ..
Old Nov 30th 2018, 10:22 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje
You seem to have bad luck here with the Swiss not cooperating.
I tried to find some more info for you, but I am completely confused about it all.
You need to have health insurance before you get an ID ?
We got confused as well, and it seems that we spent too long in confusion-land before it fell into place.

Yes, exactly that, we need to prove to the Gemeente that we have health insurance so as to get the EID cards.

Originally Posted by Annetje
And you need this S1 form before you can get health insurance ?
Is this private insurance or joining the state system ?
The S1 is just a declaration that we are insured, which we are, and that is what is pissing me off, the Swiss insurance people seem to think that they need our Swiss exit papers before they provide the form, which is complete rubbish. If they gave us the S1, the Gemeente would issue EID cards straight away.

The Swiss insurance is private - like all health insurance there.

We want to join the Belgian state system, but we need EID cards to do that...

I looked at another option for short-term private insurance just to get the S1, but the money being asked is really silly stuff, obviously aimed at major corporations, it runs into thousands of EUR per month. I already have that with the Swiss gits...

Thank you for your concern.

My new project is for a one on one with the Swiss health insurance bastards people (email doesn't seem to work very well with them) alongside with one to ones with the Fiscal - tax - and then hopefully the OCP - the foreigner police - to get the official exit papers.

And to dispose of my Swiss car.

And then to party with my step-daughters. Yay!

All this before Christmas.
Old Nov 30th 2018, 10:29 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Hoi!

Hope you don't mind me interjecting but this is a thread about Belgium and I can't see a specific forum.

Anyway, just a quick question. If anyone can answer that would be great.

I've been offered a job in Belgium but on a Contract/freelance basis, with direct engagement of me as a consultant. I currently work as a Sole Trader in the UK but it doesn't look like I can set up the same way to work in Belgium because of the residency and tax rules there. Does anyone know if there's a way to go about this or have any experience of it? Is there a reciprocal tax arrangement in place? I've been told I need a Limosa...whatever that is.

TIA.
Where would you plan on being resident for tax purposes?
Old Nov 30th 2018, 11:29 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Threaten 'em with gnomicide!
That only works with Zurichois, les Genevois are teflon-coated.
Old Dec 1st 2018, 9:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

That only works with Zurichois, les Genevois are teflon-coated.
Ah, persze, bien sûr!
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 7:58 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Where would you plan on being resident for tax purposes?
UK, I guess. Not definite, just trying to keep things easy. I'd be working in Belgium 10 days and coming home for 4 day weekends every other week.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 8:23 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

UK, I guess. Not definite, just trying to keep things easy. I'd be working in Belgium 10 days and coming home for 4 day weekends every other week.
There are rules about where you pay tax.

If you are living in Belgium for at least six months (183 days) of the year and registered with your local commune, then you are classed as a resident and have to pay Belgium income tax on your worldwide income.

Unless you're going the ''not registered'' route (not legal)

There are however exceptions, have a read

https://www.expatica.com/be/finance/...um_100073.html

It seems to me you're not researching much before jumping
Trying to keep things easy might turn out fairly complicated.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 9:17 pm
Gloves off

Well, with that timetable you would certainly bust the rules as Annetje has pointed out just above.

Then there's the elephant in the room, namely BREXIT.

Way, way back I freelanced across Europe having my own limited company in the UK, but I never stayed in one country for more than the number of days limit for tax residence purposes. It only takes for one person to denounce you, and that could scupper all your plans, so best keep it clean, rather than what might at first to seem to be 'easy'.

If I recall correctly you can set up as a 'sole trader' in BE, but establishing that is way costlier than the UK equivalent.
Old Dec 4th 2018, 1:58 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice. I'm certainly not jumping before researching, hence the questions. I haven't signed anything yet. I wanted to keep things easy as far as possible but I also don't want to get on the wrong side of the law. I get the feeling the company who want to engage me are trying to put all the onus on me. I'm not at all convinced it would be a good move.

And yeah...Brexit. Say no more!
Old Dec 4th 2018, 3:37 pm
Gloves off

Thanks for the advice.
You are most welcome.

I get the feeling the company who want to engage me are trying to put all the onus on me.
I can really understand that, and sympathise. I think that these days most companies tend to deal with 'body shops' for their short-term hiring needs, so that gives sole-traders and the like a much harder ride. I once had to take a contract to one of my previous 'body-shops' as my limited company didn't have a legal department...
Old Dec 4th 2018, 4:39 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Thanks for the advice. I'm certainly not jumping before researching, hence the questions. I haven't signed anything yet. I wanted to keep things easy as far as possible but I also don't want to get on the wrong side of the law. I get the feeling the company who want to engage me are trying to put all the onus on me. I'm not at all convinced it would be a good move.

And yeah...Brexit. Say no more!
Old Dec 15th 2018, 3:09 pm
Gloves off

Some light! Last week I received mail from our third prospective health insurers informing us that we were now on board. Yay! This information was sent on to the town hall, who emailed last evening that all the required documentation was now in order, and had been sent to ‘head office’ – meaning Brussels. They did say however that it could take up to six months before we are granted ID cards. This is a bit worrying with the (slight, I hope) potential of a no-deal Brexit still out there.

The project to "officially" exit Switzerland bumbles along, but with a couple of good things going on. The accountant said that if we gave them power of attorney then they could take on the tax authorities on our behalf, saving a trip back. I said that I had to come back for the ‘foreigner police’ anyway, and she replied ‘they changed their rules just before you left, you can do it by post now’ and included the form. It was exactly the same form that I had been working with, but the usage notes had changed to include the postal option. So that’s on the way now.

The Swiss health insurers are being as obstructive as ever, but now pressure is off, so I’m going to change tack, and point out to them that this long, drawn out process was simply down to a huge misunderstanding. On their part.

I do have to return to Geneva next week anyway to shed my car and return the plates to the authorities, I’m coming home by train this time, always wanted to do that, it’s hardly any longer than flying when seen ‘end to end’ and actually cheaper this time around. Christmas has a lot to answer for.
Old Dec 15th 2018, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Some light! Last week I received mail from our third prospective health insurers informing us that we were now on board. Yay! This information was sent on to the town hall, who emailed last evening that all the required documentation was now in order, and had been sent to ‘head office’ – meaning Brussels. They did say however that it could take up to six months before we are granted ID cards. This is a bit worrying with the (slight, I hope) potential of a no-deal Brexit still out there.

The project to "officially" exit Switzerland bumbles along, but with a couple of good things going on. The accountant said that if we gave them power of attorney then they could take on the tax authorities on our behalf, saving a trip back. I said that I had to come back for the ‘foreigner police’ anyway, and she replied ‘they changed their rules just before you left, you can do it by post now’ and included the form. It was exactly the same form that I had been working with, but the usage notes had changed to include the postal option. So that’s on the way now.

The Swiss health insurers are being as obstructive as ever, but now pressure is off, so I’m going to change tack, and point out to them that this long, drawn out process was simply down to a huge misunderstanding. On their part.

I do have to return to Geneva next week anyway to shed my car and return the plates to the authorities, I’m coming home by train this time, always wanted to do that, it’s hardly any longer than flying when seen ‘end to end’ and actually cheaper this time around. Christmas has a lot to answer for.
Progress!
Old Dec 15th 2018, 8:45 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Progress!
Indeed, it's truly amazing what can happen when one revisits one's expectations.
Old Dec 16th 2018, 8:08 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Indeed, it's truly amazing what can happen when one revisits one's expectations.

Onward and upward ... Persistence will win eventually !
Another trip to Switzerland, you must be tired with those. it's the last one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.