British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg (https://britishexpats.com/forum/belgium-netherlands-luxembourg-105/)
-   -   An imaginatively titled Belgian thread... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/belgium-netherlands-luxembourg-105/imaginatively-titled-belgian-thread-905311/)

BuckinghamshireBoy Nov 21st 2018 3:46 pm

Re: An imaginatively titled Belgian thread...

Originally Posted by SA UK now BE (Post 12597156)

Afternoon

I just recently moved here as my partner is BE born. I’m still working in London so I commute a lot.
I can atttest to how difficult it was to get insurance. Nearly cost me any hope of getting the ID card.
Weird thing is if I didn’t work it would have been easier to get it, instead I contribute to society - how stupid of me.

Good afternoon to you and welcome!

How come you say that it would have been easier to secure the health insurance if not working? It's still causing us grief big time, and we don't work. This appears to be the problem...

SA UK now BE Nov 21st 2018 4:04 pm

Because I’m still working in UK my health insurance is there not BE. So if I didn’t work my health insurance would have to be here. I had to get an S1 form from UK, and never thought I say it but the tax man came through and sent it quick time. Then quick visit to Ziekenfonds and they registered me. I’m still paying a top up in Flanders but I guess that’s the price I pay for the great beer 🍻

BuckinghamshireBoy Nov 21st 2018 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by SA UK now BE (Post 12597174)
Because I’m still working in UK my health insurance is there not BE. So if I didn’t work my health insurance would have to be here. I had to get an S1 form from UK, and never thought I say it but the tax man came through and sent it quick time. Then quick visit to Ziekenfonds and they registered me. I’m still paying a top up in Flanders but I guess that’s the price I pay for the great beer 🍻

Thanks for that. Although we're not working, we still have health insurance from our previous life in Switzerland, but for some so far inexplicable reason our Gemeente won't accept it.

I'll dig a bit deeper on S1, I've been chasing my tail on E104 & E121.

SA UK now BE Nov 21st 2018 5:39 pm

E104 and the other is the old forms. Form S1 is the new EU form that your health insurer should issue. In the UK that should would be HMRC.
However with Switzerland being half in and half out I don’t know how they operate.

Wish you all the luck.

BuckinghamshireBoy Nov 21st 2018 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by SA UK now BE (Post 12597227)
E104 and the other is the old forms. Form S1 is the new EU form that your health insurer should issue. In the UK that should would be HMRC.
However with Switzerland being half in and half out I don’t know how they operate.

Wish you all the luck.

Cheers, having surfed a bit I now realise that S1 supersedes the E***. I'll get on to my Swiss insurance people in the morning.

Whereabouts are you in Flanders, if I may ask?

BuckinghamshireBoy Nov 29th 2018 8:31 pm

Unfortunately, we have now entered into a heightened state of hostilities with Swiss health insurance vis-à-vis them supplying completed S1 forms – proof of current health insurance – in order to satisfy the Belgian authorities for issuance of ID cards.

Whereas here in Belgium the authorities as well as the health insurance companies (we have three potential insurers) continue to bend over backwards to assist us, the Swiss are unhelpful at best, to be honest bloody well obstructive would be a better description. They are refusing to supply the completed S1 forms, as yet I have no idea on what realistic grounds. I have their view as to why not, but as far as I’m concerned that can go into category ‘utter testicles’. Jobsworth/fonctionaire/whatever. Gits.

We’re now on a short time fuse; we’ve used most of our 90 days required to complete the A-Z formalities here, but we won’t make the final hurdle within the 90 day period. I’m confident that we’ll be granted the 30 day extension here, so that means I’ll be spending a fair chunk of December back in CH, which is just what I don’t need, especially at this time of year.

Not currently a happy bunny. :(

On the bright side the house remains perfect, we still (amazingly) have two cats, and the food in local restaurants is excellent, plus I'm now beginning to speak Flemish to the French equivalent of a Spanish cow... :huh:

BEVS Nov 29th 2018 8:47 pm

Soz.
Poo.
Gits.

scrubbedexpat142 Nov 30th 2018 8:18 am

Threaten 'em with gnomicide!

littlejimmy Nov 30th 2018 3:07 pm

Hoi!

Hope you don't mind me interjecting but this is a thread about Belgium and I can't see a specific forum.

Anyway, just a quick question. If anyone can answer that would be great.

I've been offered a job in Belgium but on a Contract/freelance basis, with direct engagement of me as a consultant. I currently work as a Sole Trader in the UK but it doesn't look like I can set up the same way to work in Belgium because of the residency and tax rules there. Does anyone know if there's a way to go about this or have any experience of it? Is there a reciprocal tax arrangement in place? I've been told I need a Limosa...whatever that is.

TIA.

Annetje Nov 30th 2018 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 12602027)
Hoi!

Hope you don't mind me interjecting but this is a thread about Belgium and I can't see a specific forum.

I've been offered a job in Belgium but on a Contract/freelance basis, with direct engagement of me as a consultant. I currently work as a Sole Trader in the UK but it doesn't look like I can set up the same way to work in Belgium because of the residency and tax rules there. Does anyone know if there's a way to go about this or have any experience of it? Is there a reciprocal tax arrangement in place? I've been told I need a Limosa...whatever that is.

TIA.

Hi
For Limosa, quick search brought this up

https://www.international.socialsecu...n/limosa.html#

Can't help further, sorry, but I think Google is your friend :starsmile:

Annetje Nov 30th 2018 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12601560)
Unfortunately, we have now entered into a heightened state of hostilities with Swiss health insurance vis-à-vis them supplying completed S1 forms – proof of current health insurance – in order to satisfy the Belgian authorities for issuance of ID cards.

Whereas here in Belgium the authorities as well as the health insurance companies (we have three potential insurers) continue to bend over backwards to assist us, the Swiss are unhelpful at best, to be honest bloody well obstructive would be a better description. They are refusing to supply the completed S1 forms, as yet I have no idea on what realistic grounds. I have their view as to why not, but as far as I’m concerned that can go into category ‘utter testicles’. Jobsworth/fonctionaire/whatever. Gits.

We’re now on a short time fuse; we’ve used most of our 90 days required to complete the A-Z formalities here, but we won’t make the final hurdle within the 90 day period. I’m confident that we’ll be granted the 30 day extension here, so that means I’ll be spending a fair chunk of December back in CH, which is just what I don’t need, especially at this time of year.

Not currently a happy bunny. :(

On the bright side the house remains perfect, we still (amazingly) have two cats, and the food in local restaurants is excellent, plus I'm now beginning to speak Flemish to the French equivalent of a Spanish cow... :huh:

You seem to have bad luck here with the Swiss not cooperating.
I tried to find some more info for you, but I am completely confused about it all.
You need to have health insurance before you get an ID ?
And you need this S1 form before you can get health insurance ?
Is this private insurance or joining the state system ?

Don't think I can find an easy way out for you, but it intrigues me ..

BuckinghamshireBoy Nov 30th 2018 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12602106)
You seem to have bad luck here with the Swiss not cooperating.
I tried to find some more info for you, but I am completely confused about it all.
You need to have health insurance before you get an ID ?

We got confused as well, and it seems that we spent too long in confusion-land before it fell into place.

Yes, exactly that, we need to prove to the Gemeente that we have health insurance so as to get the EID cards.

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12602106)
And you need this S1 form before you can get health insurance ?
Is this private insurance or joining the state system ?

The S1 is just a declaration that we are insured, which we are, and that is what is pissing me off, the Swiss insurance people seem to think that they need our Swiss exit papers before they provide the form, which is complete rubbish. If they gave us the S1, the Gemeente would issue EID cards straight away.

The Swiss insurance is private - like all health insurance there.

We want to join the Belgian state system, but we need EID cards to do that...

I looked at another option for short-term private insurance just to get the S1, but the money being asked is really silly stuff, obviously aimed at major corporations, it runs into thousands of EUR per month. I already have that with the Swiss gits... :thumbdown:

Thank you for your concern. ;)

My new project is for a one on one with the Swiss health insurance bastards people (email doesn't seem to work very well with them) alongside with one to ones with the Fiscal - tax - and then hopefully the OCP - the foreigner police - to get the official exit papers.

And to dispose of my Swiss car.

And then to party with my step-daughters. Yay! :thumbup:

All this before Christmas. :blink:

BuckinghamshireBoy Nov 30th 2018 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 12602027)
Hoi!

TIA.

Where would you plan on being resident for tax purposes?

BuckinghamshireBoy Nov 30th 2018 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12601823)
Threaten 'em with gnomicide!

That only works with Zurichois, les Genevois are teflon-coated. :(

scrubbedexpat142 Dec 1st 2018 9:30 am

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12602374)
That only works with Zurichois, les Genevois are teflon-coated. :(

Ah, persze, bien sûr!

littlejimmy Dec 3rd 2018 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12602357)
Where would you plan on being resident for tax purposes?

UK, I guess. Not definite, just trying to keep things easy. I'd be working in Belgium 10 days and coming home for 4 day weekends every other week.

Annetje Dec 3rd 2018 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 12603585)
UK, I guess. Not definite, just trying to keep things easy. I'd be working in Belgium 10 days and coming home for 4 day weekends every other week.

There are rules about where you pay tax.

If you are living in Belgium for at least six months (183 days) of the year and registered with your local commune, then you are classed as a resident and have to pay Belgium income tax on your worldwide income.

Unless you're going the ''not registered'' route (not legal)

There are however exceptions, have a read

https://www.expatica.com/be/finance/...um_100073.html

It seems to me you're not researching much before jumping :confused:
Trying to keep things easy might turn out fairly complicated.

BuckinghamshireBoy Dec 3rd 2018 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 12603585)

Well, with that timetable you would certainly bust the rules as Annetje has pointed out just above.

Then there's the elephant in the room, namely BREXIT.

Way, way back I freelanced across Europe having my own limited company in the UK, but I never stayed in one country for more than the number of days limit for tax residence purposes. It only takes for one person to denounce you, and that could scupper all your plans, so best keep it clean, rather than what might at first to seem to be 'easy'.

If I recall correctly you can set up as a 'sole trader' in BE, but establishing that is way costlier than the UK equivalent.

littlejimmy Dec 4th 2018 1:58 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm certainly not jumping before researching, hence the questions. I haven't signed anything yet. I wanted to keep things easy as far as possible but I also don't want to get on the wrong side of the law. I get the feeling the company who want to engage me are trying to put all the onus on me. I'm not at all convinced it would be a good move.

And yeah...Brexit. Say no more!

BuckinghamshireBoy Dec 4th 2018 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 12603894)
Thanks for the advice.

You are most welcome.

I get the feeling the company who want to engage me are trying to put all the onus on me.

I can really understand that, and sympathise. I think that these days most companies tend to deal with 'body shops' for their short-term hiring needs, so that gives sole-traders and the like a much harder ride. I once had to take a contract to one of my previous 'body-shops' as my limited company didn't have a legal department... :blink:

Annetje Dec 4th 2018 4:39 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm certainly not jumping before researching, hence the questions. I haven't signed anything yet. I wanted to keep things easy as far as possible but I also don't want to get on the wrong side of the law. I get the feeling the company who want to engage me are trying to put all the onus on me. I'm not at all convinced it would be a good move.

And yeah...Brexit. Say no more!

:goodpost:

BuckinghamshireBoy Dec 15th 2018 3:09 pm

Some light! Last week I received mail from our third prospective health insurers informing us that we were now on board. Yay! This information was sent on to the town hall, who emailed last evening that all the required documentation was now in order, and had been sent to ‘head office’ – meaning Brussels. They did say however that it could take up to six months before we are granted ID cards. This is a bit worrying with the (slight, I hope) potential of a no-deal Brexit still out there. :unsure:

The project to "officially" exit Switzerland bumbles along, but with a couple of good things going on. The accountant said that if we gave them power of attorney then they could take on the tax authorities on our behalf, saving a trip back. I said that I had to come back for the ‘foreigner police’ anyway, and she replied ‘they changed their rules just before you left, you can do it by post now’ and included the form. It was exactly the same form that I had been working with, but the usage notes had changed to include the postal option. So that’s on the way now.

The Swiss health insurers are being as obstructive as ever, but now pressure is off, so I’m going to change tack, and point out to them that this long, drawn out process was simply down to a huge misunderstanding. On their part.

I do have to return to Geneva next week anyway to shed my car and return the plates to the authorities, I’m coming home by train this time, always wanted to do that, it’s hardly any longer than flying when seen ‘end to end’ and actually cheaper this time around. Christmas has a lot to answer for. ;)

scrubbedexpat142 Dec 15th 2018 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12609405)
Some light! Last week I received mail from our third prospective health insurers informing us that we were now on board. Yay! This information was sent on to the town hall, who emailed last evening that all the required documentation was now in order, and had been sent to ‘head office’ – meaning Brussels. They did say however that it could take up to six months before we are granted ID cards. This is a bit worrying with the (slight, I hope) potential of a no-deal Brexit still out there. :unsure:

The project to "officially" exit Switzerland bumbles along, but with a couple of good things going on. The accountant said that if we gave them power of attorney then they could take on the tax authorities on our behalf, saving a trip back. I said that I had to come back for the ‘foreigner police’ anyway, and she replied ‘they changed their rules just before you left, you can do it by post now’ and included the form. It was exactly the same form that I had been working with, but the usage notes had changed to include the postal option. So that’s on the way now.

The Swiss health insurers are being as obstructive as ever, but now pressure is off, so I’m going to change tack, and point out to them that this long, drawn out process was simply down to a huge misunderstanding. On their part.

I do have to return to Geneva next week anyway to shed my car and return the plates to the authorities, I’m coming home by train this time, always wanted to do that, it’s hardly any longer than flying when seen ‘end to end’ and actually cheaper this time around. Christmas has a lot to answer for. ;)

Progress!

BuckinghamshireBoy Dec 15th 2018 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12609477)
Progress!

Indeed, it's truly amazing what can happen when one revisits one's expectations. :unsure:

Annetje Dec 16th 2018 8:08 am

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12609483)
Indeed, it's truly amazing what can happen when one revisits one's expectations. :unsure:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Onward and upward ... Persistence will win eventually !
Another trip to Switzerland, you must be tired with those. :fingerscrossed: it's the last one.

SA UK now BE Dec 21st 2018 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12609405)

Congrats to you guys looking it is finally moving forward. Sorry for the delay but working hard lately. I currently live in Brugge area. Really enjoy the city and starting Flemish cinversation.

Please note WRT the 6 months..... iT should be 6 months from the date annotated on your ‘Bijlag 19’. ‘Bijlag 20’ is the 30 day extension from the date you sing that addendum. Hope you get it now.

Ive just heard I have now been accepted and getting my EID for 5 years. Finally.

BuckinghamshireBoy Dec 21st 2018 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by SA UK now BE (Post 12611757)
... Ive just heard I have now been accepted and getting my EID for 5 years. Finally.

Result! And just before Christmas. Congrats to you too. :thumbup:

BuckinghamshireBoy Apr 17th 2019 1:08 pm

Following my minor rant of a few weeks ago, there has finally been some movement from the Swiss. I kow-towed to the demands of the tax authorities, including paying their guesstimate of tax due, fairly safe in the knowledge that they were well out, and that once they had all the facts – and the dosh – the ‘puters would make sense of it. Sure enough, a letter – again to the Swiss address – confirmed that all was indeed in order for 2017. No mention of 2018’s reckoning, no hint of a rebate.

Zen...

Last week a letter direct to the new address saying 2018 is now sorted, here’s the final position and there’s a huge rebate due. Yay! The rebate landed a couple of days ago, so now just waiting on the ‘foreigner police’ to issue the magic papers we desperately need to free us of all kinds of costly obligations back in Switzerland.

A couple of difficult web-sites and emails later, I received an invitation to download the magic paper. Just mine, obviously, no mention of OH, so I’m awaiting clarification as to whether they trust me or if she now has to navigate those treacherous waters in her own right. Nearly there. :fingerscrossed:

No sign of the Belgian id cards yet, but they’re still within the advised time window.

BEVS Apr 17th 2019 11:47 pm

Slowly getting there it seems.

BuckinghamshireBoy Apr 18th 2019 9:22 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12672552)
Slowly getting there it seems.

Leaps and bounds now! This morning I received OH's magic paper. :thumbsup:

Party! :drinkingwine:

scrubbedexpat142 Apr 18th 2019 9:28 am

:thumbsup:

Just think of all those civil servants you've kept in gainful employment!

SA UK now BE Apr 18th 2019 9:39 am

Happy days. Say what you may but the Flemish work ethic is great and efficient i have found. Swapping my British license for a Belgian one took only a day.

On a side note - an official ‘Stadsblad ’ ( I think it’s called that) has been published regarding no deal brexit. From what my wife says it boils down to Belgium will treat all registered British with the same rights as now until December 2020. From then I guess we’ll be assimilated?

BuckinghamshireBoy Apr 18th 2019 9:52 am

Originally Posted by SA UK now BE (Post 12672662)
Happy days. Say what you may but the Flemish work ethic is great and efficient i have found. Swapping my British license for a Belgian one took only a day.

On a side note - an official ‘Stadsblad ’ ( I think it’s called that) has been published regarding no deal brexit. From what my wife says it boils down to Belgium will treat all registered British with the same rights as now until December 2020. From then I guess we’ll be assimilated?

You will possibly need to re-register when whatever exit terms are finally unveiled, but from what I've received so far, your Gemeentehuis will advise at the appropriate time.

Annetje Apr 18th 2019 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12672653)
Leaps and bounds now! This morning I received OH's magic paper. :thumbsup:

Party! :drinkingwine:

Hang on, I'm on my way ! Well done :nod:

Happy days. Say what you may but the Flemish work ethic is great and efficient i have found.

:goodpost::thumbsup::amen:

BuckinghamshireBoy May 21st 2019 4:53 pm

Today we received our residence certificates; the town hall said it could take up to six months, the reality was five and a half. ;)

Id cards are an optional (and highly desirable) extra, but those can be obtained locally, no need for Brussels involvement.

Perfect timing! :egyptian:

scrubbedexpat142 May 21st 2019 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12686973)
Today we received our residence certificates; the town hall said it could take up to six months, the reality was five and a half. ;)

Id cards are an optional (and highly desirable) extra, but those can be obtained locally, no need for Brussels involvement.

BEVS May 22nd 2019 2:42 am

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12686973)

BuckinghamshireBoy Jun 14th 2019 10:08 am

As of this morning we have our ID cards :thumb: which unlocks a whole raft of stuff, such as the right to visit the recycling centre, being able to access 'restricted' documents on various government websites, even filing tax returns online. :eek:

However in contrast to this ...

Swapping my British license for a Belgian one took only a day.

as we currently have non-EU driving licences, we have been advised that it will take three months to process the exchange. This, even if we were to swap them serially, is obviously a no-no.

OH is well miffed as she obtained her CH licence in exchange for her original Belgian one some thirty years ago. Somewhere :confused: I should have my old UK paper licence (which the Swiss let me keep), so I might give that a try, otherwise we'll stay with those we have for the time being. An extended family member works for the forces of law and order in an administrative capacity, so we'll be picking her brains for any potential fast-path methods.

The next round of building work is now underway, all the external drainage runs are being reworked ahead of the replacing/extending of the terrasse in an 'L' shape towards the rear of the house.

What we really would like now is for summer to show its face... :fingerscrossed:

calman014 Jun 17th 2019 10:15 am

You might find something of use here:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...e/index_en.htm

BuckinghamshireBoy Jun 17th 2019 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by calman014 (Post 12699100)
You might find something of use here:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...e/index_en.htm

Thanks for the link. I finally located my old UK paper licence and using that link have confirmed that it's a "UK 3", issued as a replacement for the "UK 1" due to an address change. It is apparently still valid with just over six years to run. A relevant point a couple of pages in that link is "You can have only one EU driving licence at any one time."

Not wishing to fall foul of any regulations, it would seem that I must exchange this one, so that should speed things up considerably, but only for me. I thought that we had registered our Swiss licences at the Gemeente, OH reckons not, so we'll book another appointment for later in the week and see what's what.

If I have to end up being OH's part time taxi driver for a few months, then so be it, it is much more suited to our driving habits than the other way round.

What's interesting - but totally irrelevant here - is why the Swiss let me retain the UK licence.

Just about to hit "submit", a ring on the doorbell. It's the police wanting to see the permit for the skip that was placed on the street outside this morning. That's all in order, OH is now grilling him as to how best to speed up her licence swap...