British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg (https://britishexpats.com/forum/belgium-netherlands-luxembourg-105/)
-   -   An imaginatively titled Belgian thread... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/belgium-netherlands-luxembourg-105/imaginatively-titled-belgian-thread-905311/)

BuckinghamshireBoy Dec 12th 2020 3:59 pm

Re: An imaginatively titled Belgian thread...

Meanwhile, having grudgingly accepted the fact that we do indeed have to get our overpriced health insurance in CH, first off I sent a grovelling email to the Belgian insurer, and received a very friendly reply along the lines of “no probs, you’re not cancelled, just suspended until we receive the S1”.

On the Monday morning I ‘phoned the Swiss insurer, and having been bounced around various departments, ended up with a helpful person who noted all the details and said that someone from “the relevant department” would be in touch as soon as possible.

After three days without news, I ‘phoned again, got someone different who located the file and said “Oh dear, your request seems to have been sent to the wrong department”. He took even more info, checked a colleague’s calendar and set up a telephone meeting for the following Monday. Two days later (Saturday) I received an email directly from my old “handler” with the insurance company. Yay!

I answered a couple of more questions, and last Monday I received a proposal for insurance from said person. Just for me, no mention of OH, start of contract 01/01/2019… I had already guessed that they might try that, so I retrieved the Swiss gene from the cellar, plugged it in and started on the diplomatic email.

Several exchanges later they had corrected most a couple of the errors and said that they were now just waiting on a document from the Swiss Pensions office before issuing the new proposals. I scanned the official decision letter that I had received from the Pension people back in July, and sent that.

Next day, in the inbox were the two proposals, and a cover note asking me to check/correct the details. They had at least done the decent thing and shifted the start date forward by 19 months so as to coincide with the start of the pension payments. Done and returned three days ago, since then silence.

It’s like having just the right amount of anaesthetic administered whilst your wallet is surgically removed. ;)

BuckinghamshireBoy Dec 30th 2020 3:38 pm

... and breathe.

Received today the jolly expensive health insurance cards from CH.

Welcome - back - to the Hotel California. ;)

BuckinghamshireBoy Feb 26th 2021 7:19 pm

Bureaucracy 2021. The first round comes courtesy of Brexit. As with most (I imagine) Brits legally resident in a EU member state, I have to update my residence documents to show that I benefit from the WA, which for me means a new ID card, amongst other things. I received the Government letter a few weeks back, but the local town hall has not as yet prompted any action.

I am however supposed to apply at the town hall; they require a copy of my existing ID card, a copy of my current passport (it’s different to the one they have already, it was renewed a year ago) and an extract of my ‘criminal record’, which I obtained a few days ago.

In theory, given that my ‘criminal record’ is a clean sheet, the town hall will submit the claim on my behalf, so I will have no direct dealings with immigration. I’m booked in at the town hall on Monday.

Next up will be the UK pension application :eek: I’ve had some chats with other forum members, all very helpful, thanks folk.

I’ve seen various posts across quite a few country forums - mostly concerning NI top-ups and the like. We don’t appear to have a generic thread for non-residents claiming UK pension, so I’ll possibly spin that one off into another thread, as someone has suggested that it might form the basis for a Wiki article.

Maybe.

Won’t be covering S1s though, as I’ve now got my own jolly expensive S1 from CH.

BuckinghamshireBoy Apr 28th 2021 9:25 pm

Bureaucracy 2021 (continued).

Yesterday I received an email from the town hall saying that I could now apply for my "officially resident in spite of Brexit" ID card.

But surely I did that two months ago?

Apparently not... what it seems I did two months ago was to apply for the permission to apply for that status. :confused:

One appointment + one photo + €18.80 should (ha!) get this sorted.

---

The UK pension stuff is "in the post".

V10 Apr 28th 2021 9:59 pm

There were some technical problems with the new "M cards" for Brexit refugees, apparently. Seems people are now starting to receive them from their city/town halls, though.

One thing to be potentially aware of - this new card is currently not listed as a valid proof of residency from the Royal Decree covering applications for Belgian nationality. If anybody plans to apply for this in the near future and your existing E/E+ card isn't expiring yet, you may want to apply before exchanging your existing ID for the new M card.

BuckinghamshireBoy Apr 28th 2021 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by V10 (Post 13000379)
There were some technical problems with the new "M cards" for Brexit refugees, apparently. Seems people are now starting to receive them from their city/town halls, though.

One thing to be potentially aware of - this new card is currently not listed as a valid proof of residency from the Royal Decree covering applications for Belgian nationality. If anybody plans to apply for this in the near future and your existing E/E+ card isn't expiring yet, you may want to apply before exchanging your existing ID for the new M card.

Thank you for that.

I'm aware that my "new" Bijlage 56 in itself is not proof of residence, but if I carry it along with my current "E" card then I should not have any problem when travelling within the Schengen zone, at least until 31/12/2021.

I would need to get an extension on that document until the "M" card becomes available to me, as of yesterday, I have three months and ticking on the current document.

I'm about two and a half years off being eligible to apply for Belgian nationality, so it's not yet a burning issue, but I do see your point and so will ask at the Gemeente for their thoughts on the best way forward.

BuckinghamshireBoy May 31st 2021 1:39 pm

As of today I am in possession of my 'M' card - the residence card for beneficiaries of the Withdrawal Agreement.

Three months from start to finish, three visits in all to the town hall.

:beer:

Originally Posted by gov.uk April newsletter
We are aware that the Royal Decree relating to nationality does not list the M card as proof of lawful residence for the purposes of applying for Belgian nationality. Ambassador Martin Shearman wrote to Justice Minister Vincent van Quickenborne to seek clarication. We will update you via our usual channels, including this newsletter, when we receive further information.

Not bothered by this as yet, I'm still three years off having to decide between applying for Belgian nationality or simply going for permanent residence, I'm not planning on being out of the country for more than 90 days in the foreseeable future.

All quiet on the UK pension front, no surprises there then.

BuckinghamshireBoy Jun 11th 2021 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 13012408)
All quiet on the UK pension front, no surprises there then.

Bucking the trend? Mindful of some posts on other threads on the subject of DWP potentially not processing pension applications in “a timely manner” I started on mine in the last week of March and was amazed to receive the positive decision letter a couple of days ago. I make that about 11 weeks from submission :thumbup:

They have the start date correct, and the final weekly figure came to several quid more than had been forecast when using the calculator on the gov.uk website.

scrubbedexpat142 Jun 11th 2021 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 13016582)
Bucking the trend? Mindful of some posts on other threads on the subject of DWP potentially not processing pension applications in “a timely manner” I started on mine in the last week of March and was amazed to receive the positive decision letter a couple of days ago. I make that about 11 weeks from submission :thumbup:

They have the start date correct, and the final weekly figure came to several quid more than had been forecast when using the calculator on the gov.uk website.

You got lucky! Make sure they have your bank details correct, they messed mine up - twice!

spouse of scouse Jun 11th 2021 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 13016582)

Bonus! Well done BB :thumbup:

BuckinghamshireBoy Jun 11th 2021 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 13016585)
You got lucky! Make sure they have your bank details correct, they messed mine up - twice!

Do they send any notification of payment transfers? Or do I wait until end August (about 5 weeks after start date) to query any non-payments?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 13016589)
Bonus! Well done BB :thumbup:

Relieved somewhat... this will almost cover the cost of our health insurance being paid into the Swiss system... :blink:

It's like playing Monopoly, Catan and Whack a Mole in parallel.

spouse of scouse Jun 11th 2021 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 13016600)

Relieved somewhat... this will almost cover the cost of our health insurance being paid into the Swiss system... :blink:

It sounds like it! With perhaps a cheeky little game of Run Around In Circles Until You Disappear Up Your Own Arse to finish.

scrubbedexpat142 Jun 11th 2021 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 13016602)
It sounds like it! With perhaps a cheeky little game of Run Around In Circles Until You Disappear Up Your Own Arse to finish.

Only after you done a round of Cluedo!

scrubbedexpat142 Jun 11th 2021 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 13016600)
Do they send any notification of payment transfers? Or do I wait until end August (about 5 weeks after start date) to query any non-payments?

No!

Yes, you will need to wait the 5 weeks. So 11 + 5 = the 4 months!

Also, don't know about Belgium but to Hungary each transfer takes 8 working days (as opposed to same day, or possibly 24 hours for everybody else).

BuckinghamshireBoy Jun 11th 2021 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 13016655)
No!

Yes, you will need to wait the 5 weeks. So 11 + 5 = the 4 months!

Also, don't know about Belgium but to Hungary each transfer takes 8 working days (as opposed to same day, or possibly 24 hours for everybody else).

Right-ho, thank you. Hadn't taken the "weekly" mindset into account :lol:

CH does calendar months, no more "double bubble" in December, so I'd best start to save for the mince pies.

Nice touch in the DWP letter though:

You will get a £10.00 special payment made by the UK Government for Christmas as long as you meet the conditions.
:lol: