Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

How to find lost social security number.

How to find lost social security number.

Old Aug 1st 2019, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice
Default How to find lost social security number.

My wife is Dutch and has lived outside the Netherlands for nearly 40 years. She lived with me for 20 years in UK ater we returned from Africa. We now live in Spain. She is approaching UK retirement age and has been invited to apply for a UK pension. She has her UK NI number. However she has not accrued enough years to qualify for a basic UK pension. Before she left Holland she had worked for 8 or 9 years and it might be the case that those years can be added to her UK record. Unfortunately she has lost her Dutch social security number which will be necessary to obtain her record of social security payments in Holland. Could someone point me to where I can find that number, please. Once we have that number where can I find her payments record?
Old Aug 2nd 2019, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to find lost social security number.

Does your wife still hold a Dutch passport? If so, that might be of help. The page which has the personal information (photo page) has on its reverse side in small print het “persoonsnummer” at the top. For Dutch people who emigrated quite some time ago this number equals their SoFi number. Nowadays the Dutch government has switched to another registration system, but having this SoFi number could be of help.
Old Aug 2nd 2019, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

Thank you. Yes, she is still a Dutch passport holder. I have looked and found the persoonsnummer. However it looks odd. There are 3 recognisable digits followed by two characters I don't recognise then another digit. Searching on the web I see that the persoonsnummer equates to a BSV and should consist of 9 digits and containing no letters. Looking at her two previous passports the place for it on the front is blank. Does anyone have any info on the hieroglyphics I am seeing on her current passport?
Searching the web I found a useful site with help in finding this number:
https://www.toeslagenaanvragen.net/w...d-ik-mijn-bsn/
I will ask my wife to search for an old driving licence or any old documentation today. As a last resort, according to that page, she can go to the Civil Affairs Office in Venlo when she next visits.
Old Aug 2nd 2019, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't sure whether the previous SoFinummer would automatically be replaced to a BSN when I wrote my reply. Meanwhile I discovered that this is indeed the case.
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sofinummer
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgerservicenummer
In case your wife still has some old tax documents (or other financial documents) which contain this SoFi nummer you can use this as the BSN.
I can't answer your question about "hieroglyphics".
Old Aug 2nd 2019, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again. I have hit a brick wall finding any doc with the number on. An old ID card is also blank in that box. I guess the only way is for her to go to Venlo with all the paperwork we can find and speak to the Civil Affairs Office. At least I know what we are looking for now.
We need to top up our freezer with frikandellen anyway!
Old Aug 2nd 2019, 1:19 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

greetings from Galicia.
I have a Dutch wife too. She has said that in some years you could not pay into the pension scheme if you started work before 27 or 30. She cannot remember the exact details. The case for women to start paying into any scheme was more complicated then for men. So she might not get any pension credit.
There are some very knowlage persons on a Dutch language forum, they may be able to give you a clearer/definitive answer there. You can not search or post without paying a small fee. That was introduced to stop the Spammers
https://www.spanjeforum.nl
good luck in your quest for that number.
PS there are a few Dutch shops based in Spain that will sell you frikandellen (and more) all year round.
Old Aug 2nd 2019, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Your best bet is to start at the website of the SVB (svb.nl) and have any documentation you have at hand.
Did your wife ever have a driving licence?

The BSN was as far as I know first introduced in 1985 and was called the FISCAAL NUMMER, later it was called the SO-FI nummer and now the BSN.

It appears on many official documents including driving licence and NL Identity card as well as passport.

Once you have established the ID you can request information about pension entitlements from the same site.
Old Aug 2nd 2019, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
greetings from Galicia.
I have a Dutch wife too. She has said that in some years you could not pay into the pension scheme if you started work before 27 or 30. She cannot remember the exact details. The case for women to start paying into any scheme was more complicated then for men. So she might not get any pension credit.
There are some very knowlage persons on a Dutch language forum, they may be able to give you a clearer/definitive answer there. You can not search or post without paying a small fee. That was introduced to stop the Spammers
https://www.spanjeforum.nl
good luck in your quest for that number.
PS there are a few Dutch shops based in Spain that will sell you frikandellen (and more) all year round.
Thank you. likewise, my wife can't remember the exact details but she thinks social security payments were made as soon as she began working but that she understood payments wouldn't begin to be credited for AOW until she reached the age of 27. However she's not sure. I'll check out the link you mention to see if I can get some clarification on that.

Regarding frikandellen: we live away from the usual expat areas so don't have a Dutch shop within easy reach. My wife visits the Netherlands at least three times each year and had managed to keep us supplied so far. She leaves enough weight allowance to bring back three boxes on each visit.
Old Aug 2nd 2019, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by calman014
Your best bet is to start at the website of the SVB (svb.nl) and have any documentation you have at hand.
Did your wife ever have a driving licence?

The BSN was as far as I know first introduced in 1985 and was called the FISCAAL NUMMER, later it was called the SO-FI nummer and now the BSN.

It appears on many official documents including driving licence and NL Identity card as well as passport.

Once you have established the ID you can request information about pension entitlements from the same site.
Thanks. We have found old passports, an old ID card and old (paper) driving licenses. Unfortunately wherever there is the box for "persoonsnummer " it is blank. I don't know why that is but I think she is going to have to go to the office in Venlo with all the documentation we can gather and hope they can find her record.

I'm grateful to you all for your help.
Old Aug 2nd 2019, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

One extra Tip:

Under EU rules, the social security/Pension authority of the country where you live is actually responsible for putting all your pension entitlements together and communicating with the authorities of the countries where you have previously accrued pension rights and then also paying them out.

If you had Spanish pension rights as well then they would just be added to that.

One thing to watch is the age at which pension entitlement starts, which is still 66 in UK I think but 67 in some other EU countries.

The gov.uk site has plenty of info, as does the Dutch svb.nl site.
Old Aug 4th 2019, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by calman014
One extra Tip:

Under EU rules, the social security/Pension authority of the country where you live is actually responsible for putting all your pension entitlements together and communicating with the authorities of the countries where you have previously accrued pension rights and then also paying them out.

If you had Spanish pension rights as well then they would just be added to that.
I didn't know that, thanks. Although neither she nor I are entitled to a Spanish pension. I am already drawing my UK OAP. Any UK pension she is entitled to will be due later this year, and any Dutch pension in the middle of next year.