Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Help with vehicle licensing information

Help with vehicle licensing information

Old Feb 5th 2017, 5:46 am
Just Joined

Mmontagnem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with vehicle licensing information

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help or provide advice. I've got a bit of a nightmare scenario. Here's a brief summary

Bought a used car from a garage in Germany, imported it to France, found out 2 weeks later the mileage had been around back by 200,000 kms. An vehicle diagnostic tool revealed it.

Found out the car has been register in Holland between 2010 and 2016, and then in April 2016 it was serviced by a Landrover dealer who recorded the km at 270,000. 8 weeks later it was exported to Germany and the TUV test I was given by the garage has 79,186 kms on it.

So it's either the last Dutch owner or the German garage who did it. I just need to find out the registration plate it had in Holland and the correct agency who recorded the export. If I can establish from the export papers that at the point of export it had 270,000 kms on it then I can confront the German garage.

Is there a way to find out who actually owned the car whilst it was registered in Holland or go to the licensing agency who recorded the export with a VIN number?

thank you in advance

Rob
Old Feb 5th 2017, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with vehicle licensing information

I'm not sure whether you can read Dutch. The Dutch "Rijksdienst Wegverkeer" has a campaign ongoing about these kind of changes to the car's mileage.
RDW: https://www.rdw.nl/particulier/Paginas/default.aspx
English pages: https://www.rdw.nl/englishinformatio...s/default.aspx

The campaign is intended to give owners of vehicles a full history of their vehicles. However, you can only receive the document about the mileage counter if you can prove that you are the registered owner of the car. I understand from your story that you were not the owner when the car was in the Netherlands, so probably they are not willing to send you the requested document.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 4:52 am
Just Joined

Mmontagnem is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SushiFan
I'm not sure whether you can read Dutch. The Dutch "Rijksdienst Wegverkeer" has a campaign ongoing about these kind of changes to the car's mileage.
RDW: https://www.rdw.nl/particulier/Paginas/default.aspx
English pages: https://www.rdw.nl/englishinformatio...s/default.aspx

The campaign is intended to give owners of vehicles a full history of their vehicles. However, you can only receive the document about the mileage counter if you can prove that you are the registered owner of the car. I understand from your story that you were not the owner when the car was in the Netherlands, so probably they are not willing to send you the requested document.
Thanks, I can't read Dutch but Google did a reasonable job, that could be exactly what I need, I'll ring them and explain the situation, worth a try

Cheers

Rob
Old Feb 7th 2017, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

I hope that they are willing to help you. But my guess is that they will hide behind the excuse of "privacy" of the previous owner for not disclosing the information to you.