Giving birth in the Netherlands

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving birth in the Netherlands

Originally Posted by paul_bromsgrove
Quick update...it's a girl!

We had a home delivery and everything was fine. For a moment during the labour there was talk of going to the hospital, but as that was a 30 minute drive away the voloskundige (and nurse) both decided it would be best to stay at home.

My wife had gone to a pregnancy yoga class where they teach breathing exercises which allegedly help to alleviate the pain. It turned out that this was not useful at all, and the voloskundige advised a different method of breathing and pushing and waiting. No pain releif was given (none asked for) although there was some local anastheasia for the stiching afterwards.

A day later (Saturday) I had to go to the hospital anyway to get a blood sample from the baby tested. It was poorly signposted and I spent 15 minutes trying to find the entrance. Once inside, the receptionist wasn't friendly at all when she directed me to the right department. When I got there, the lights were off, not a soul in sight, and there was a sign saying it was closed during weekends. Went back to ask the receptionist. Got shouted at and told to go back up and wait. Lady from the blood departent came over and found me sitting in the dark waiting room - she was friendly and did the job quickly, but the experience made me glad we avoided this particular hospital for the delivery.

2 days paternity leave is ridiculous. On the bright side, with a Friday and Monday off I've had 4 straight days - but now I can't wait to get back home and be with my family!

Best wishes from a tired dad (!)

Excellent news, well done Mum, hello babe, (it all starts now, Dad!!)

Sounds as though you made the right call for you, glad it went ok.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:56 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paul_bromsgrove
Quick update...it's a girl!

We had a home delivery and everything was fine. For a moment during the labour there was talk of going to the hospital, but as that was a 30 minute drive away the voloskundige (and nurse) both decided it would be best to stay at home.

My wife had gone to a pregnancy yoga class where they teach breathing exercises which allegedly help to alleviate the pain. It turned out that this was not useful at all, and the voloskundige advised a different method of breathing and pushing and waiting. No pain releif was given (none asked for) although there was some local anastheasia for the stiching afterwards.

A day later (Saturday) I had to go to the hospital anyway to get a blood sample from the baby tested. It was poorly signposted and I spent 15 minutes trying to find the entrance. Once inside, the receptionist wasn't friendly at all when she directed me to the right department. When I got there, the lights were off, not a soul in sight, and there was a sign saying it was closed during weekends. Went back to ask the receptionist. Got shouted at and told to go back up and wait. Lady from the blood departent came over and found me sitting in the dark waiting room - she was friendly and did the job quickly, but the experience made me glad we avoided this particular hospital for the delivery.

2 days paternity leave is ridiculous. On the bright side, with a Friday and Monday off I've had 4 straight days - but now I can't wait to get back home and be with my family!

Best wishes from a tired dad (!)

1) Congratulations man!!!
2) it´s verloskundige
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

paul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nice

Thanks for the good wishes Fiona and Jur!

"verloskundige"...thanks for the correction! It's one of those words that I've been learning to say but never (so far) had to write!
Old Nov 17th 2009, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

mishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nice

Congratulations to you both! I am due in April next year and have decided on a home birth. I am starting hypnobirthing classes in Leiden next month. So hopefully that should relax me enough to not need any painkillers.. not that i'd get any anyway! haha.. well, do as the locals I say. I have never really wanted to birth in a hospital anyway. I think the homebirth and care you get over here sounds so good, I am not worried in the slightest.

I hope you are both not too sleep deprived!
Old Nov 17th 2009, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mishimoto
Congratulations to you both! I am due in April next year and have decided on a home birth. I am starting hypnobirthing classes in Leiden next month. So hopefully that should relax me enough to not need any painkillers.. not that i'd get any anyway! haha.. well, do as the locals I say. I have never really wanted to birth in a hospital anyway. I think the homebirth and care you get over here sounds so good, I am not worried in the slightest.
Congratulations & keep us posted!
Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

paul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nice

Originally Posted by mishimoto

Thanks mishimoto, and congratulations yourself on your pregnancy!

I certainly can't fault the homecare - 1 verloskundige and 1 nurse all the way through, and they didn't seem to be in any rush or anything during the labour (come to think of it...nor was the baby!!!) Following days there were home visits and checkups and things, very good. Last week the Consultation Bureau (people who look after the medical things of the baby till they're er...4(?) years old) came round as well.

My wife had gone to pregnancy yoga, and she thought it was pretty useless. I went with her for one lesson when partners were allowed to come too, and I completely agree - it was a lot of "empty your mind and focus" and "feel the energy" kind of talk with very little practical advice. Having said that, one bit of advice which at the time we thought would be useful was to push when breathing out (then your diaphragm pushes down and it helps)...but on the day the verloskundige advised against this, so it turned out to be advice which wasn't taken.

Sleep deprived? I'm too tired to notice! (but still over the moon!)
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

Congrats Paul and Mrs. Paul!

Anyway just bumping this thread as I wanted to ask if it's true that you can't have an epidural in a Dutch hospital. My husband is Dutch, we live in Italy but are vaguely thinking about moving to NL. We're also vaguely thinking about having another child.

My sisters in law scared me witless by saying that no matter how much you beg the midwives they won't give you an epidural in a Dutch hospital. Is this really true? One Dutch woman I know (childless ) also lectured me about how taking painkillers during labour is "unnatural" and interferes with bonding with the child. I had an epidural with my daughter in an Italian hospital and we bonded just fine thanks. I see it as a feminist issue about choice. Until recently here in Italy they also often didn't have epidurals available (Catholic doctors) but lately women's groups have pressured the government and they are now supposed to be available in all public hospitals (although they aren't...)

Thanks!
Old Apr 16th 2010, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think it's reasonable - no vital - for everyone to have informed choice. That information ought to include the facts about the effects of stress during labour both on the mother and the baby.... and the stressful effects that can arise from a belief that you must be in hospital, doing things to someoneś book, HAVE to have a certain amount of contractions in a certain period of time, can't possibly remain at home if your waters have broken, should have no expectation of seeing the same staff throughout, etc etc., and of course to be able to make an informed choice, that information should absolutely include the effects on the baby of the painkilling drugs commonly used in labour today. Painkillers may or may not affect bonding, but in my view that's secondary to the belief that they are and should be a given. Few events are as unpredictable as labour and childbirth, and nothing should be assumed whether anti or pro pain relief.

I think there are a few on here who'll know the answer to the question ref Netherlands & childbirth.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

I agree that nothing should be assumed either anti or pro pain relief in childbirth. It's up to every woman to decide what kind of birth she wants - either in hospital or at home, with an epidural or without, with a midwife or a doctor.

I react badly to propaganda and am an educated, informed woman. I did my research and I decided on a hospital birth and ended having an epidural (which was a wonderful experience). If I have another baby I would like to do everything the same as I had such a positive experience with my first birth.
Old May 25th 2010, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gelato
I agree that nothing should be assumed either anti or pro pain relief in childbirth. It's up to every woman to decide what kind of birth she wants - either in hospital or at home, with an epidural or without, with a midwife or a doctor.

I react badly to propaganda and am an educated, informed woman. I did my research and I decided on a hospital birth and ended having an epidural (which was a wonderful experience). If I have another baby I would like to do everything the same as I had such a positive experience with my first birth.
Your sister-in-laws are not wrong...the Dutch have a weird minimalist attitude to pain relief in all areas it seems and yet allow euthanasia and potsmoking (which seems contradictory I know)....however I have heard increasingly in recent times, Expats temporarily in the Hague do have ways of 'getting the type of birth they want' sometimes by going to hospitals like the Bronovo in the Hague.
I am very pro pain relief in labour and had both my kids in UK NHS with loads of pain relief. Entonox/Gas and air is not available in Dutch hospitals at all as far as I am aware as it was banned because of miscarriage risks for female staff lol. (Haven't they heard of scavenger systems?)
I have also heard if you are in a large unit where pain relief may be on the menu(not all types), it can be harder to get an epidural if you are in labour during the night (this can also be the case in UK but only if the on-call anaethetist is dealing with a car accident say - not because there is no one on call at all for childbirth as is apparently the case in NL because they have an attitude that labour is natural!!!...that bonding stuff is complete medieval hogwash b.t.w.).

From your other thread, I would comment that the weather in Holland is considerably worse than the best UK weather on the South Coast of England...dull and grey, flat and depressing it is indeed.
Supermarkets also awful when I lived there but there are specialty foodshops in larger places like the Hague. Even if you like cheese as I do, the wall-to-wall Gouda gets very boring! It is banned from my house thesedays
Old Jun 1st 2010, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Your sister-in-laws are not wrong...the Dutch have a weird minimalist attitude to pain relief in all areas it seems and yet allow euthanasia and potsmoking (which seems contradictory I know)....however I have heard increasingly in recent times, Expats temporarily in the Hague do have ways of 'getting the type of birth they want' sometimes by going to hospitals like the Bronovo in the Hague.
I am very pro pain relief in labour and had both my kids in UK NHS with loads of pain relief. Entonox/Gas and air is not available in Dutch hospitals at all as far as I am aware as it was banned because of miscarriage risks for female staff lol. (Haven't they heard of scavenger systems?)
I have also heard if you are in a large unit where pain relief may be on the menu(not all types), it can be harder to get an epidural if you are in labour during the night (this can also be the case in UK but only if the on-call anaethetist is dealing with a car accident say - not because there is no one on call at all for childbirth as is apparently the case in NL because they have an attitude that labour is natural!!!...that bonding stuff is complete medieval hogwash b.t.w.).

From your other thread, I would comment that the weather in Holland is considerably worse than the best UK weather on the South Coast of England...dull and grey, flat and depressing it is indeed.
Supermarkets also awful when I lived there but there are specialty foodshops in larger places like the Hague. Even if you like cheese as I do, the wall-to-wall Gouda gets very boring! It is banned from my house thesedays
mmm. Gouda. I miss me a good piece of Gouda.