Finding a job in Holland

Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:44 pm
tyr
Just Joined

tyr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding a job in Holland

Hi,
I'm a Brit just finishing off my masters degree in Sweden.
I've known for years that my future lies abroad, not in the UK, that evil inc. 'won' the last election and are determined to ruin Britain only adds to this for me.
I did a student exchange a few years back in Amsterdam and...it was pretty awesome. The only down points were on account of my gaping poverty. To have a job there though...yeah, I could do it...I'd love to do it...
Checking up statistics too it seems the Netherlands has a very agreeable unemployment rate (relative to elsewhere).

So...yes.....I'd love to move to the Netherlands.

I'm wondering though...how easy is it to find a job there? Hard of course. Its hard everywhere. But relative to elsewhere?

Does not knowing Dutch hurt you a lot? In Sweden having less than perfect Swedish disqualifies you from 99% of positions, Holland seemed a bit more international whilst I was there though. And a foreign friend of mine studying in Holland found herself a job there within a few months of trying....so I'm hopeful....

Does not being based in the Netherlands already hurt your chances? Again going off Sweden the advice for finding jobs is to put down a Swedish address. Some people swear this improved their luck with finding jobs.

Any general advice of paths of approach and places to be looking?

I know things will be uphill for me, its the way of the world even before the financial crisis let alone now, but still, any advice to help me give it a crack welcome.