Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

EU citizen moving to NL to live, then find work

EU citizen moving to NL to live, then find work

Old Dec 2nd 2018, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

clergy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EU citizen moving to NL to live, then find work

Thanks in advance for any responses. Forgive my naivete on this matter. Basically, after living outside the EU for many years, I'd like to settle in NL and bumble along on part-time teaching work before something permanent comes up. So my question is can an EU citizen arrive in NL, rent initially but buy eventually a property, without having an employer lined up beforehand?
C
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EU citizen moving to NL to live, then find work

As long as you have sufficient income to support yourself (something you will have to prove to the authorities) there should not be a problem. Be aware that income taxes are quite high in NL and in addition there are other charges and taxes that you may not be familiar with just because you are living in NL. You will also need health insurance.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by calman014 View Post
As long as you have sufficient income to support yourself (something you will have to prove to the authorities) there should not be a problem. Be aware that income taxes are quite high in NL and in addition there are other charges and taxes that you may not be familiar with just because you are living in NL. You will also need health insurance.
Thanks Calman. I'm familiar with the health insurance situation. But if I were to just turn up, how does one get a BSN if you have no address? And I hear it's difficult to find rental without producing a BSN. And then there's banking. So many questions! Money's not a concern initially, I mean I could a year's rent up front if it would smooth the wheels.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

It's technically possible, but not advised. As you have done your research, you know it has the potential to be tough going. It would probably go along the route of hotel or serviced apartment, while you get here and sort your stuff out, with buying at a much later date, once you have a permanent contract (and once the ridiculous housing market has cooled!). Maybe you could find an accommodating Airbnb, but probably not in Amsterdam where there are local laws about length of stay in one of those. Kamernet does offer studios occasionally from the owner, and if you're aware that you're unlikely to get your deposit back from such an arrangement, perhaps someone would let you rent 6 months upfront? But as in all cities where accommodation is at a premium, if it sounds like a scam, it probably is, so beware

It is possible for an EU citizen, which you will be until March, to stay here for 4(?) months while trying to gain employment, and to be honest, the job situation is better now than it has been - so there should be a way to get a temporary BSN and for that I would make an appointment to visit the tax office to arrange one there, as the gemeente won't register you without a rental contract (catch 22). However, 'bumbling along as a teacher' isn't likely to work unless you're already a qualified teacher and can find a job at an international school. Unless you speak perfect Dutch and have your qualifications approved, work at state schools would be out of reach, and as English is taught at all Dutch schools from the age of 8 until 16-18: very, very few people here need private tutors, and that market is pretty well saturated. Ageism is a real thing. If you have a speciality, such as IT, engineering, pharma, maybe even advertising or middle management, then you're going to find it easier.

Note: I am going to add though, that according to the IND (Dutch immigration department), you will need to be resident - ie. Registered in the town hall database - by the day before Brexit in order to stay and build up your time here to reach the 5 years for permanent residence. Nobody yet knows what that will look like (ie. will you need to pass language exams to get residency, like other third country nationals will). 4 more months; that should coincide with your job-searching (home searching) period, but it's something you should bear in mind. It's the weight we all bear at this moment.

Last edited by Red_Wine_Fairy; Dec 2nd 2018 at 4:04 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

RWF, you seem to believe that the topic starter (clergy) is a British national. I didn't see that mentioned though in his/her post. It only mentions "EU citizen".
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SushiFan View Post
RWF, you seem to believe that the topic starter (clergy) is a British national. I didn't see that mentioned though in his/her post. It only mentions "EU citizen".
Well, the forum is called BritishExpats, so it's a fair assumption to make Actually, I've got Irish/UK passports, so the whole Brexit clusterf**k doesn't affect me so much, but I do appreciate the detailed answer very much, RWF. I've been going to NL every year for a while as my daughter lives there. I'm focused on The Hague or Leiden to eventually settle. Just need to make enough dosh to be able to manage on PT work until something permanent works out. I'm thinking of online teaching plus other stuff to get by.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a naive fool - I do assume that it's Brits who come here for advice I was lucky in this case. Leiden and Den Haag are both lovely and I know many people have moved or are moving out that way due to the great transport links, since other Randstad city's rentals became completely unaffordable for singles. If you're fit and able to turn your hand to mundane jobs, trying uitzendbureau can get you those zero-hour contracts to top up income should the skype teaching not provide enough. If your daughter lives here, she should have a bit of local knowledge about where to find jobs; it's not a cheap country to live in by any means. Good luck with your plans!
Old Dec 4th 2018, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clergy View Post
Well, the forum is called BritishExpats, so it's a fair assumption to make Actually, I've got Irish/UK passports, so the whole Brexit clusterf**k doesn't affect me so much, but I do appreciate the detailed answer very much, RWF. I've been going to NL every year for a while as my daughter lives there. I'm focused on The Hague or Leiden to eventually settle. Just need to make enough dosh to be able to manage on PT work until something permanent works out. I'm thinking of online teaching plus other stuff to get by.
Lucky you as you can use your Irish passport, even in case the whole Brexit things turns ugly for UK citizens.
I know that the website is called BritishExpats, however, it is owned by an American company.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

dhruvsv is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello<br />So there is much confusion on the internet regarding some issues i have and would like some direct answers and would love it if you could clarify some of the questions and issues i have.<br />I am a UK citizen with a full British passport who will be arriving in Amsterdam in January and have consequently found a job which i will be starting in a cafe. I will be staying in a hostel for the first two weeks before i find somewhere a little more stable and commit to a property. <br />No 1 am i able to use the hostel im staying at to register as my place of address, <br />No 2 if not am i able to use the address of my employer as place of address for registration? <br />Are there any other hiccups that i may come across as i would like the process to go as smoothly as it can.<br />I have tried my best to research and understand the forums and what people have wrote however this matter seems unclear and would like the most up to date information for when i arrive. Thank you for your time and reply in advance.<br /><br />Regards<br />Dhruv Vis<br /><br />
Old Dec 7th 2018, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy View Post
I'm a naive fool - I do assume that it's Brits who come here for advice I was lucky in this case. Leiden and Den Haag are both lovely and I know many people have moved or are moving out that way due to the great transport links, since other Randstad city's rentals became completely unaffordable for singles. If you're fit and able to turn your hand to mundane jobs, trying uitzendbureau can get you those zero-hour contracts to top up income should the skype teaching not provide enough. If your daughter lives here, she should have a bit of local knowledge about where to find jobs; it's not a cheap country to live in by any means. Good luck with your plans!
I hear you though re the housing market. I've never seen anything like it. I'm surprised I don't hear more grumbling, to be honest. I've been keeping an eye on it for 5 years now, specifically The Hague and Leiden via funda. The filters I have applied to the search used to give me results in central Hague, we're talking 2 or 3 years ago. Now, there's nothing within a 2 mile radius of the centre. Just daft inflation. How do people cope?
Old Dec 9th 2018, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by clergy View Post
How do people cope?
Quite frankly because, unlike in the UK, their travel to/from work expenses are covered. That doesn't seem to make a difference between a zero-hours contractor and the CEO of a business - it will be reimbursed! And so people move out along the train or tram routes to areas with more affordable property. Want a train that gets you to work in Amsterdam but will get you home if you stay late for a party in town afterwards? Check the timetables!

I took the train to work recently (very rare) and had the pleasure of hearing a non-Dutch European talk to the woman opposite. ''I was travelling by train in the UK a few weeks ago and it was like travelling in the last century'' (I don't think she was referring to 1999 ). This country invests in public transport and although they don't always get it right, it's cost-free for commuters, and enables Amsterdam (or other major city commuters) to ride in from Lelystad, Nijmegen, Breda or Rotterdam to work.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

I hear you. The phrase that always comes to me when in NL is that "the Dutch have got their s**t together"...crude, but you get the point. Whether it's the public transport, cycling lanes, use of renewables, support for uni study, there's an awful lot to admire about the country.