Dutch East Indies

Old Nov 1st 2015, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dutch East Indies

Not much remains of the Dutch occupation.Some memories -
Dutch East Indies
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dutch East Indies

I have met Dutch people of my generation and older who grew up there. They generally have the same mindset as the Sahibs from the Raj.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

We have family friends who lived and worked out there; thanks for the link - interesting.

The Open Air Museum in Arnhem has a section devoted to this - well worth a look.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Dizzyp is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that link scot47. We visited the Openluchmuseum a few weeks ago and found the Indisch Actererf area by accident. In the backyard, there is a 2 room shack and inside there were 3 people having tea. We thought we were interrupting something private but it's part of the museum experience. The rooms are decorated similar to how the Dutch colonials would have lived when they returned to Holland in the 1950s.

One lady (married to a Scot!) shared her experience as the daughter of a tea planter. It was quite emotional when she told us she had also been in a camp and lost her mother and sister there.

It made our trip to the museum that much more interesting than just looking at the buildings.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for sharing that link. I am Dutch and my mother was born in Indonesia just when the Second World War started. So there are quite some commonalities between that website and the stories I heard from my mother.