Dual US/Dutch citizenship?

Old Jul 5th 2020, 11:25 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual US/Dutch citizenship?

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I'd rather consider Belgium then, if I wanted to live in another country for a longer time. "clear to me, though some might be a bit fuzzy, but the Dutch rules seem largely focused on financial cost, actual money". That criteria would actually be met in my interpretation, if I had to re-apply for any kind of visa for Canada, or some ILR or pre-settled visa in the UK at some point foreseen or unforeseen in the future. The cost isn't exactly low, and is not expected to get cheaper, more expensive at some point. However I doubt hat this would actually qualify as "financial cost" and "actual money" in the position of the Dutch authorities.
I don't believe that your "stretched" interpretation is correct. The question relates to the direct cost of giving up the non-Dutch citizenship, such as the US exit tax if you expatriate, or the loss of owning a property in your case, and not to the future cost of aquiring a visa for a country you have expatriated from.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual US/Dutch citizenship?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't believe that your "stretched" interpretation is correct. The question relates to the direct cost of giving up the non-Dutch citizenship, such as the US exit tax if you expatriate, or the loss of owning a property in your case, and not to the future cost of aquiring a visa for a country you have expatriated from.
I also believe that your description is correct and mine is more an "interpretation in my favour". However as you wrote "it's a bit fuzzy" leads some people like myself, to interpret the law in my favour.......

It would probably have to be an excessively high tax bill, or an excessively high fee for renouncing citizenship, or loss of property ownership rights, possibly also a loss of the accumulated state pension (?), or simply the legal impossibility to renounce previous citizenship to acquire the Dutch one.