British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg (https://britishexpats.com/forum/belgium-netherlands-luxembourg-105/)
-   -   Current UK passport application turnaround speed (https://britishexpats.com/forum/belgium-netherlands-luxembourg-105/current-uk-passport-application-turnaround-speed-913976/)

Red_Wine_Fairy Jun 15th 2018 5:01 pm

Current UK passport application turnaround speed

If anyone needs to replace theirs and is panicking because it's almost summer, we just had one returned via DHL exactly 7 days since we posted it here in NL.

Not sure if it's some kind of record, but regardless - and as it should be - it's still an EU passport.

Jazioshi Aug 15th 2018 8:50 am

Re: Current UK passport application turnaround speed

Hey! Question about how you did this...you have to send off your current passport to be able to renew it, but you have to be able to identify yourself at all times (I still have a UK driving licence which doesn't count) and you have to sign for the new passport when it arrives back. If this ends up getting left at a drop off point (can't sit at home every day) you have to show ID to be able to collect it, if you have no valid ID because you had to send it off how are you supposed to do this?! Hope you can assist, can't seem to find much info on this topic :( thanks!

calman014 Aug 15th 2018 9:55 pm

Dutch driving licence or residence document.

Red_Wine_Fairy Aug 16th 2018 4:36 pm

Sent it off via Post NL Track n Trace. This time we didn't send a passport back because we were replacing a lost one. I thought this would delay it even further (investigation, check with Embassy that it had been reported lost, etc). When I renewed my daughters' passports last year, I did send those off. No they had no other legitimate ID, but they weren't stopped either. In fact out of my whole family in 10 years, only the teenage boys have ever been ID'd. Due to the cost of UK passports, and with teenagers losing them so often, I now make mine leave them at home because the fine is cheaper than the cost of a replacement passport. Also, I think this last passport was posted through the door and not signed for, although last year we had to pick up my girls' passports at the DHL office at Schiphol: I took my own ID in, so sending someone to pick it up for you seems to work fine :) If not, perhaps you can open it in front of them?

If it really worries you, I think it's about 30 euros to change your UK licence to an EU one at the Gemeente, so you have another form of legal ID (you get the photocopy and a receipt from the gemeente so you can still drive). And after March next year, nobody can yet guarantee that you'll be able to drive on your UK driving licence here anyway?