British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg (https://britishexpats.com/forum/belgium-netherlands-luxembourg-105/)
-   -   considering job offer !! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/belgium-netherlands-luxembourg-105/considering-job-offer-900260/)

netherlandsexpat Dec 22nd 2017 2:27 pm

Re: considering job offer !!

Originally Posted by joncrane (Post 12311353)
yeah ,,,wife not wanting to work ,,,sounds more like my ex british wife!!!!

never even crossed my mind about Pay Pal

Yes, men and women like that can be found anywhere :) But how many British women work part-time only, or don't work at all. I am genuinely curious. It was my impression that British women are hard-working, I see so many in smart suits looking busy when I go to London!

But in NL, I know very few Dutch women that work full-time, even if they are childless. It's something like 90% of Dutch women work part-time, not sure what the last stats are. But it's high compared to other European countries, which is why the EU a decade ago or so formally requested the NL do something to encourage women to join the workforce.

I am not saying I agree that people should be forced to join the workforce! I think everybody should do as they please. But, that the majority doesn't work or works part-time (to various degrees from 1 day/week and so on), is a fact!!!

So, nothing wrong with pointing out that fact. And the Dutch women will tell you they are empowered and made that choice themselves and are happy with it. Fine, just not my cup of tea.

Cynic Dec 23rd 2017 9:31 am

Originally Posted by netherlandsexpat (Post 12404062)
.... It's something like 90% of Dutch women work part-time, not sure what the last stats are.

Our household (Dutch family) as an example:

Wife - nurse - full time
Wife's mother - seamstress - full time (until retirement)
Daughter 1 - Logistics manager - full time
Daughter 2 - nurse - full time
Wifes sister - Bank manager - full time
Wifes sister's daughter - teacher - full time
Wifes brother's wife - hairdresser - full time
Wifes brother's daughter - IT manager - full time

I think you've been mixing with some strange Dutch women. :)

Red_Wine_Fairy Dec 24th 2017 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Cynic (Post 12404415)
Our household (Dutch family) as an example:

Wife - nurse - full time
Wife's mother - seamstress - full time (until retirement)
Daughter 1 - Logistics manager - full time
Daughter 2 - nurse - full time
Wifes sister - Bank manager - full time
Wifes sister's daughter - teacher - full time
Wifes brother's wife - hairdresser - full time
Wifes brother's daughter - IT manager - full time

I think you've been mixing with some strange Dutch women. :)

Just another guy who is attracted to high maintenance women then wonders why she's high maintenance, while also making the mistake of believing all women are exactly the same because he can't change his own mindset. It says more about him than about the women he tries to disrespect.

From another full time working woman ;)

BuckinghamshireBoy Dec 24th 2017 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy (Post 12404938)
Just another guy who is attracted to high maintenance women then wonders why she's high maintenance, while also making the mistake of believing all women are exactly the same because he can't change his own mindset. It says more about him than about the women he tries to disrespect.

From another full time working woman ;)

Succinctly - and politely - put.

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12404058)
Troll ? Or just Weird ?

Probably both.

May I add peilstok to that list?

SushiFan Dec 25th 2017 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12404981)
May I add peilstok to that list?

Peilstok? What does that mean in this context?

Cynic Dec 25th 2017 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by SushiFan (Post 12405091)
Peilstok? What does that mean in this context?

LOL - probably referring to an English colloquialism. :)

BuckinghamshireBoy Dec 25th 2017 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Cynic (Post 12405108)
LOL - probably referring to an English colloquialism. :)

Indeed I was.

Haven't yet found the Dutch term with the correct 'weight'. ;)

SushiFan Dec 27th 2017 1:30 am

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12405144)
Indeed I was.

Haven't yet found the Dutch term with the correct 'weight'. ;)

I see. I didn't translate peilstok literally when reading your initial comment. Hint: the Dutch don't use a car part in such a situation.

GeniB Dec 28th 2017 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by netherlandsexpat (Post 12404054)
Yes, it is a choice, just in case you didn't know that. There is no law in any of the countries involved as far as I know obligating men/women to procreate.

hahaha, an idiot. I'm not British. Moving from Britain to NL doesn't take much effort. Heck, that's easier than moving from NY to Cali, just an hour time change for you!

So no darling, my American self had to have fantastic qualifications to get a blue card to be in NL ;). Creme de la creme, so I'm not your average Joe and my standards are higher and that is perhaps why I could see what a farce that sad, boring, depressed, suicidal, low service, and lazy country it was!!!

Now finally out of there!!! woo hooo! Back in a sunny place, with happy, polite people. Not Spain yet as I am taking a break. In a house, that is a huge mansion by the sad Dutch standards, of with a pool too :)

Enjoy those grey skies!!

Umm not sure who you think you are addressing here ?. I no longer live in NL,but under the glorious blue sky, and in the sunny land of Portugal. Moving from Britain to NL was a huge culture shock.Not only with the language ,but the fact I was not allowed to work as an ex-pat. Many Dutch women didn't work then either .. Not because they didn't want to ,but because the Government made it financially impossible.. Taxing their partners if they did. Like the Japanese, the Dutch never say 'no' just make if difficult for you.

The Netherlands is far from a 'farce' of a country. It simple has totally different standards/values to the rather lax and loose ones of the USA A huge country that can afford to bend its rules here and there. Many of my US friends used to literally re-invent themselves whilst living in NL. Returning home with non existent doctorates ,or qualifications they had never earned. It was easy to do that ,that way around.
I do however agree with you about the grey skies and the impolite people. They never learned, nor rated our type of 'manners' Many a door was left to slam in my face ,or I was pushed to one side whilst about to board a bus etc. I loathed them for many years for this behaviour. I did however learn to respect their values ,particularly their family ones. They do have a great work/life balance.. Something we in the UK and many in the USA no longer have. Its why I now totally appreciate the perfect (for me) balance of life here in Portugal. From the weather to the lovely gentle,polite people. only fly in the ointment ,they pay very poor wages here. You can't have it all... Enjoy being back home

p.s My OH was one of the few foreigners to become a CEO of a Dutch company so when we are talking 'creme de la creme.' You are not alone!!!Try to stop being so angry about it. and see it as your European experience

GeniB Jan 7th 2018 9:55 am

Heh ho... I see netherlandsexpat 'slung the mud.. and with that he 'flounced' possible back to the USA..? No loss then as he is welcome to Trumpety Trump