British School or Not.

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

LukeOnslow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British School or Not.

My daughters will be starting primary school. Is it best to have them take the Dutch school system or have them enrolled at the British School?
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all
Default Re: British School or Not.

Originally Posted by LukeOnslow
My daughters will be starting primary school. Is it best to have them take the Dutch school system or have them enrolled at the British School?
Hi!

This is a very personal choice, of course, but if you're interested in my opinion I think it all depends on how long you're thinking of staying in the Netherlands. Also, take into consideration, if you move around a lot with your work, as we do with our family, that the continuity of education for your daughter will at least provide some familiarity and security.

If you think you're going to be in the Netherlands for, say, 5+ years, I think enrolling her in a Dutch school makes more sense. She will have time to pick up the language and integrate, and any lost academic time will be caught up with over the next few years.

If less than that, and if you think you'll be moving back to English speaking countries at some point, or moving on, then perhaps the British School is a better idea.

Our children will be going to the British School this September but we move around a lot. We're just moving now from a year in Portugal where they're also attending an English international school. For us we feel that the least we can do, with our very transient lifestyle, is offer them the continuity of an English speaking education. Our two children are definitely 3rd Culture Kids, so it helps!

At the end of the day, it's just an opinion though. Do what feels right to you. Trust your intuition. You also know your daughter and how she'd adapt.

Best of luck xxx
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a lot. I am sceptical about the British School though. But I see you have made your decision. What made it more attractive the the likes of the other international schools? Was it the fact that it is preparing the students for GCSEs and/or A Levels?
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all

Thanks a lot. I am sceptical about the British School though. But I see you have made your decision. What made it more attractive the the likes of the other international schools? Was it the fact that it is preparing the students for GCSEs and/or A Levels?
Hi there!

No, not at all!

Our two won't be there long enough to do the GCSEs/A'Levels. They're still at primary school age, and we'll probably be in NL for 1-2 years.

Why are you sceptical?

Our daughter attended the nursery section when we lived in Amsterdam before, and we thought it was great then.

It's so personal. It really depends on what you want. Of course if AICS didn't have 50 odd kids on their waiting list for my son's year group, and 20+ for my daughter's, I would have loved to have sent them there, but I was told that it could take up to 5 years for them to have a place in there. It's not realistic when we're only there for such a short time.

Anyway, hope you find the solution that suits your needs!
Old Jul 5th 2012, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Would you say AICS has the most to offer compared to British School and International School?
Old Jul 6th 2012, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Would you say AICS has the most to offer compared to British School and International School?
I have no idea about the International School - I have never met anyone whose children go there, I'm afraid.

As for comparing the British School and AICS, the difference for me lies in the cost! We pay for everything ourselves so obviously if there were spaces in the next 5 years AICS would be the more financially sensible option.

As for quality of education, I keep being told how wonderful the British School is - just yesterday someone else told me it was "fantastic".

But it's not catering for the same kind of thing as AICS. The British School is a purely international school, on the same level as international schools worldwide. That's what you pay for. And that's why even locals who can afford it send their kids there - they want that kind of education.

AICS isn't the same kind of thing, I don't think - for one thing, and to its advantage, it's integrated into the Dutch system. I don't know much about it to be honest. I know it's a popular school, hence the ridiculously long waiting lists, and I know that people who send their kids there love it, but it's not a realistic option for us purely because of the waiting lists.

I'm happy to be sending my kids to the British School - I may have to sell one of my kidneys in order to keep paying for it, but for us it's the only option and we're happy with it!

Go with your heart and what suits you. If you're considering AICS, you're obviously in NL for a long time as the waiting lists are very long. Just consider what you'd do in the meantime.

BTW, there is a new AICS style school opening this September in Utrecht, if you didn't mind living in Utrecht. Utrecht is super lovely. A smaller version of Amsterdam.

Best of luck
Old Jul 13th 2012, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emmis
As for quality of education, I keep being told how wonderful the British School is - just yesterday someone else told me it was "fantastic".

But it's not catering for the same kind of thing as AICS. The British School is a purely international school, on the same level as international schools worldwide. That's what you pay for. And that's why even locals who can afford it send their kids there - they want that kind of education.

AICS isn't the same kind of thing, I don't think - for one thing, and to its advantage, it's integrated into the Dutch system. I don't know much about it to be honest. I know it's a popular school, hence the ridiculously long waiting lists, and I know that people who send their kids there love it, but it's not a realistic option for us purely because of the waiting lists.
As a parent of (ex)AICS kids, I'll add my part. Bear in mind I was a teacher in the UK and so can compare what kids learned 'there' and 'here'.

AICS is great if your child:
a) has been following the International Baccalaureate (Early or Middle Years) in their last school, or:
b) is about to start formal education for the first time (age 4-6), AND;
c) is above average student.
oh, and it's about €8000 euros per year cheaper than the British school. (private transport not included)

The IB programme is waaayyyyyy above the British national curriculum, not least because it teaches a 2nd language from an early age, but because it teaches pretty much everything seriously from an early age. If you plan to go to another country with your job, this is the way to go (it is international, after all: even the 'azekstan' countries have international schools). My kids were learning genetics at highschool level (try finding THAT in the UK national curriculum Key Stage 3/4). AICS also teaches Dutch. I cannot measure how successful it is - probably far less so than a Dutch school who will have an accelerated programme (schakelklas/bridging class) for students so that they can learn sufficient Dutch to join regular education here, within 12-18 months.

If your child(ren) is primary school age, and if you plan to stay several years, then I would wholeheartedly recommend putting them into a Dutch school. My younger children adapted to life here FAR quicker, made more friends, and more importantly are much HAPPIER, than my older kids who went to international school. People will tell you that, in a regular Dutch school, your children will be fluent in Dutch within a year or two. It's true: it's the childhood survival instinct that they were born with kicking in! (and two of my children aren't particularly exceptional learners).

This is a great country to raise children in, if you want them to be happy, healthy and 'free' of the health-and-safety obsessed UK culture. Expect school trips to 'dangerous' places *eg, boating on lakes, skating on frozen ponds, etc*, and treat the initial swimming diplomas (rahter advanced by UK standards!) as importantly as their mainstream education.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Amazing feedback. Thank you all.

Down deep I believe I am thinking of Oxbridge Universities. As a British national, applying under International Baccalaureate (IB) I would think their chances would be low. Nevertheless, probably by not attending a public school they have no chance anyway.

But what I am hearing is that IB does add plenty to the children. So it isn't the American system. I started school in US and had to repeat the grade when I came back to my country.

So AICS does match up to a good standard. Now I need to think about the 400 euro registration fee.

I have also been considering the schools in the Hague. Any recommendations there?