Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Brexit: Your Right of Residence (Belgium)

Brexit: Your Right of Residence (Belgium)

Old Apr 4th 2019, 5:25 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit: Your Right of Residence (Belgium)

4 April 2019
EU Exit update: added information on the latest no deal legislation in healthcare, visas and residency, education and driving sections
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...tent=immediate
Old Apr 15th 2019, 11:48 am
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

11:21am, 15 April 2019: EU Exit update: added information about passport validity to passport section

Living in Belgium
Old Jul 24th 2019, 3:23 pm
Gloves off

Update to the "no-deal" side of things, this from the Belgian Immigration office, I've seen nothing yet coming out of gov,uk.

https://dofi.ibz.be/sites/dvzoe/EN/A...t-No-deal.aspx
Old Aug 9th 2019, 10:12 am
Gloves off

Update from GOV.​UK.

Living in the EU: prepare for Brexit

Page summary
Information on the rights and status of UK nationals living in the European Union, European Economic Area (EEA) and European Free Trade Area (EFTA), and Switzerland.

Change made
Updated the ‘UK nationals in the EU after Brexit’ section

Time updated
6:26pm, 8 August 2019
Old Sep 4th 2019, 9:33 am
Gloves off

Update on GOV.​UK.

Living in Belgium

Change made
Brexit update: Pensions section updated to include further details on State Pension uprating.

Time updated
5:03pm, 3 September 2019
Old Sep 24th 2019, 10:44 am
Gloves off

Update on GOV.​UK

Living in Belgium

Page summary
Official information British people moving to and living in Belgium need to know, including Brexit guidance, residency, healthcare and driving.

Change made
Brexit update: healthcare section updated to reflect transitional arrangements announcement

Time updated
5:23pm, 23 September 2019
Old Dec 20th 2019, 9:39 am
Gloves off

Update on GOV.​UK.

Change made
Updated with information on the Withdrawal Agreement as it applies to UK nationals living in EU countries.

Time updated
5:12pm, 19 December 2019

Old Dec 20th 2019, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Update on GOV.​UK.

Change made
Updated with information on the Withdrawal Agreement as it applies to UK nationals living in EU countries.

Time updated
5:12pm, 19 December 2019

Tks for posting this. I don't live in Belgium, I just look up how rules may differ from country to country. I assume above link applies to all EU countries. Brit. Embassy Vienna posted no news since October 15.
Above link mentions nothing about healthcare/S1 during transition period. Or is this included in " nothing will change"?
Acc. to info given by Austrian BMI, healthcare S1 ends with 31 Jan and transition only applies to trade, visa free travel, ppl working, or being able to move to another EU country.
Any idea what the story is?

Old Dec 20th 2019, 11:19 am
Gloves off

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
Tks for posting this. I don't live in Belgium, I just look up how rules may differ from country to country. I assume above link applies to all EU countries. Brit. Embassy Vienna posted no news since October 15.
Above link mentions nothing about healthcare/S1 during transition period. Or is this included in " nothing will change"?
Acc. to info given by Austrian BMI, healthcare S1 ends with 31 Jan and transition only applies to trade, visa free travel, ppl working, or being able to move to another EU country.
Any idea what the story is?
Graag gedaan!

This one is a generic release rather than country specific, I haven't seen any updates on healthcare/validity of S1 in Belgium since the September 23rd update. Having said that, this particular aspect doesn't affect me/us as I'm long gone from the UK and we have been in the Belgian healthcare system for a year now. But I do keep an eye out for updates.

What is and what isn't included in the transition agreement is still "smoke and mirrors" I think, maybe we'll have a clearer view later today.

I know that you know this, but looking around the various sub-forums it seems that some others may have missed it, so worth repeating; what will happen after the transition period ends will be country specific, this is not one to one, it's one to twenty seven.

I'm also subscribed to the Belgian government's mailing lists, I haven't seen anything from them of late but they are constantly reworking their websites, so I'd best go have a look over there as well.
Old Dec 20th 2019, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Graag gedaan!

This one is a generic release rather than country specific, I haven't seen any updates on healthcare/validity of S1 in Belgium since the September 23rd update. Having said that, this particular aspect doesn't affect me/us as I'm long gone from the UK and we have been in the Belgian healthcare system for a year now. But I do keep an eye out for updates.

What is and what isn't included in the transition agreement is still "smoke and mirrors" I think, maybe we'll have a clearer view later today.

I know that you know this, but looking around the various sub-forums it seems that some others may have missed it, so worth repeating; what will happen after the transition period ends will be country specific, this is not one to one, it's one to twenty seven.

I'm also subscribed to the Belgian government's mailing lists, I haven't seen anything from them of late but they are constantly reworking their websites, so I'd best go have a look over there as well.
I will keep an eye on the Brit. Embassy Austria website. The ambassador has been quite good re Brexit info till Oct. However, info re healthcare didn't tie up with Austrian Gov. info.
"European Union" is a bit of a misnomer. On one hand Brexit is one against 27 who are "united", but at the end it is down to 27 individual countries appplying their own ideas. No longer a "union".

Old Dec 20th 2019, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

SA UK now BE is an unknown quantity at this point

Well here is an update. As the WAB going through, as I understand it I’ll have a “right” to work until next year Dec 20. So the plan is leave the RN and get a job sharpish in May. Then settle in for the end of year bumps and hurdles to jump though and get to 2021 with an agreement to stay with my Belgian family. I’ve only got the E card, no E+. So still no decision on that so I’ve heard what that going to turn into. Possibly the orange D card maybe. Oh the joy the majority ruining it for the minority. Unless your in Scotland it could be the other way round.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 1:27 pm
Gloves off

Update on GOV.​UK.

Living in Belgium

Change made
Brexit update: includes further details on passport validity, healthcare rights and State Pension uprating if the UK leaves the EU with a deal.

Time updated
4:47pm, 23 January 2020
Old Feb 11th 2020, 2:50 pm
Gloves off

Some new page(s) added recently on belgium.be

Link to portal at bottom of this quoted page.

Brexit: centralized information about the impact at federal level

Date: February 3, 2020
Since 1 February 2020, after the full ratification of the withdrawal agreement, we have entered the transition period. This period of limited duration was agreed in the withdrawal agreement and will last at least until December 31, 2020. Until that date, nothing will change for citizens, consumers, companies, investors, students and researchers, both in the EU and in the UK. The United Kingdom will no longer be represented in the EU institutions, bodies and bodies, but EU law will continue to apply to the United Kingdom until the end of the transition period.

The EU and the UK will use these months to reach an agreement on a new and fair partnership for the future, based on the political declaration adopted by the EU and the UK in October 2019.

A central Brexit page has been created to guide you as a citizen or company through the consequences and implications of the Brexit. Here you will find a general explanation of the Brexit situation, information for British citizens in Belgium, Belgian citizens in the United Kingdom and companies, useful links, etc. In other words, this 'Brexit portal' offers a simple overview of everything you need to know about the possible impact of Brexit at the federal level. It also shows you where you can go for more information and specific questions in this context.

to the Brexit portal
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 9:32 am
Gloves off

Update on GOV.​UK

Living in Europe

Change made
Updated information on financial support if you return to study in the UK before 31 December 2027

Time updated
8:54am, 3 July 2020
Old Sep 11th 2020, 5:06 pm
Gloves off

Update on GOV.​UK

Living in Belgium

Page summary
Official information for UK nationals moving to or living in Belgium, including guidance on residency, healthcare, passports and the Withdrawal Agreement.

Change made
Passports and travel section updated to include information on passport validity and entry requirements when travelling to other European countries from January 2021.

Time updated
2:05pm, 7 September 2020

-----

Also buried in there is a bit on residency documents.

Originally Posted by gov.uk

All UK nationals resident in Belgium at the end of the transition period will need to obtain a new residency card that indicates that their rights are covered under the Withdrawal Agreement.

You will receive a letter from your Commune/Gemeente before 31 December 2020 explaining how to get this new residency card. You do not need to take any action until you receive this letter.

There will be no change in residency rules or registration procedures if you arrive in Belgium before 1 January 2021. UK nationals legally resident in Belgium that have started the registration process at the local town hall before the transition period ends will be able to stay.

Read the Belgian government’s guidance on residency rights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.