Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Brexit gaining Dutch citizenship,?

Brexit gaining Dutch citizenship,?

Old Nov 28th 2018, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Pete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brexit gaining Dutch citizenship,?

Iam British that went to work in Holland for a year 20 years ago, while there I got my sofimummer, will I be able to use this to apply for Dutch citizenship?
Old Nov 28th 2018, 6:03 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit gaining Dutch citizenship,?

No.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

You would have to come back and reside in NL again in order to qualify for the SoFi nummer, but that doesn't automatically give you a right to apply for Dutch Nationality.
If you want to know more visit the site of the Immigration service: http://www.ind.nl.
Plenty of information there to answer your questions.
Old Jun 12th 2019, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering, regarding naturalization for Dutch citizenship. In general I understand, one is to renounce his/her existing citizenship, however there are exceptions to the rule:
( I would like to refer to the next to last bullet point below: )

When do I not have to renounce my nationality?

There are various situations in which you do not have to renounce your nationality. You do not, for example, have to give up your nationality in one of the following situations:
  • You automatically lose your original nationality when becoming a Dutch citizen. Please check here if this applies to your nationality (page only available in Dutch).
  • Your country's legislation does not allow you to give up your nationality (page only available in Dutch).
  • You are married to or are the registered partner of a Dutch citizen.
  • You are a minor, meaning younger than 18 years.
  • You have an asylum residence permit.
  • Upon submitting the application for naturalisation you are living in the Kingdom of the Netherlands. You are also born in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
  • You are a national of a state that is not recognised by the Netherlands.
  • You will have to pay a large sum of money to the authorities in your country of origin in order to renounce your nationality.
  • You will lose certain rights when giving up your current nationality. You stand to lose a lot of money, for example, because the laws of succession no longer apply to you.
  • You have to fulfil (or buy out) your military service before being able to renounce your nationality.

Question: Does the statement " You will lose certain rights when giving up your current nationality." apply in the case of Brexit? Would it allow if one also holds Canadian or US citizenship? Thus losing certain rights to reside, and work for anybody without sponsorship? Just wondering how this point is handled in NL naturalization procedures in practical life?
Old Jun 12th 2019, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

What is your current nationality?

That's the main starting point.
Old Jun 12th 2019, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calman014
What is your current nationality?

That's the main starting point.
Canadian and British as well as Serbia.

I don't really want to renounce any of them and also I would certainly lose certain rights if I were to renounce them. Canada, post Brexit UK, and Serbia not EU anyway.

The question is only, does the law in NL see ti that way as well? The bullet point doesn't explicitly sate "which and what kind of certain rights" are taken into consideration here.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Jun 12th 2019 at 9:03 pm.