Bordering on the ridiculous

Old Jun 12th 2022, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Fugee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bordering on the ridiculous

Hi

I have a question and wonder if anybody can help.

I've been living in the Netherlands for more 20 years and currently have a residence permit that I got as a result of Brexit.

I'm looking to move soon. I live less than 4 km from the border with Belgium, but don't know whether I can simply move there based on my residence permit for the Netherlands. Working in Belgium is also a possibility, but can I just get a job and register as living there? Can I only stay for 90 days?

The wife of a friend of mine has a long-term EU residence permit, but I can't find anything information that it gives me the right to live in any other EU country.

The only possibility I can see is to become Dutch, find a job in Belgium and then move. Am I missing a way of doing it differently? Do I really have to become Dutch so I can no longer live in the Netherlands?

Last edited by Fugee; Jun 12th 2022 at 11:15 am.
Old Jun 12th 2022, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bordering on the ridiculous

As I understood the Brexit withdrawal agreement you only retain your rights for the country that you are living in at the time and who issued you with the WA ID card.You do not retain any general EU rights such as FOM right to work outside the country you are resident I saw an ECJ decision recently which stated that Brits had lost their rights It related to voting in France but the court stated clearly that EU rights for previous members ceased .
Others may have a different view of course
Old Jun 12th 2022, 3:20 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fugee
Hi

I have a question and wonder if anybody can help.

I've been living in the Netherlands for more 20 years and currently have a residence permit that I got as a result of Brexit.

I'm looking to move soon. I live less than 4 km from the border with Belgium, but don't know whether I can simply move there based on my residence permit for the Netherlands. Working in Belgium is also a possibility, but can I just get a job and register as living there? Can I only stay for 90 days?

The wife of a friend of mine has a long-term EU residence permit, but I can't find anything information that it gives me the right to live in any other EU country.

The only possibility I can see is to become Dutch, find a job in Belgium and then move. Am I missing a way of doing it differently? Do I really have to become Dutch so I can no longer live in the Netherlands?
Howdy. If you were to move to Belgium, you would need to register your presence with your local Gemeente within 90 days of arrival. You would then receive a provisional registration number, and have to submit proof to the Gemeente that you have adequate income and health insurance, at which point they'll send your dossier up the chain to Brussels for approval. This process can take up to six months.

Is your Brexit-obtained NL residence permit a temporary or permanent residence permit? If it's the temporary - renewable every five (?) years - I believe that the "clock is reset", I'm not sure how that works for permanent residency cardholders, I'll have a look and post some links, but I suspect that they haven't added that bit to the website yet.

Edit to add: the websites are not terribly clear, but

https://dofi.ibz.be/en/themes/third-country-nationals and https://www.belgium.be/en provide some useful info and contact details.

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Jun 12th 2022 at 3:35 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2022, 5:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If you have chosen to make your permanent/ long term home within the borders of the EU, shouldn't you be looking at naturalizing as a citizen where you now live, in this case of the Netherlands? This would restore your EU FoM rights.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 12th 2022 at 5:34 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2022, 5:22 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you have chosen to make your permanent/ long term home within the borders of the EU, shouldn't you be looking at naturalizing as a citizen where you now live, in this case if the Netherlands? This would restore your EU FoM rights.
If you have chosen to make your permanent/ long term home outside the borders of the EU, shouldn't you be looking at minding your own business?
Old Jun 13th 2022, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

''The Brexit withdrawal agreement you only retain your rights for the country that you are living in at the time and who issued you with the WA ID card''. << This.

After 15 years resident, without residency gaps you would probably qualify for the optie procedure, depending on your age (must be over 65) meaning you get obtain Dutch citizenship without losing your British citizenship and without undergoing inburgering (the only other qualifier for this is being married to a Dutchie). This is the age limit that many of us are waiting for to regain our FOM rights at the lower-price and retaining dual/not paying to give up UK citizenship but seeing that you mention working in Belgium, I guess this isn't the case for you. In which case, pull up a chair in the waiting room with me
Old Jun 16th 2022, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

You will need to apply for a Belgian residence permit if you intend to live there, regardless of whether you work in NL or BE. I would warn you in advance that living in BE and working in NL brings a whole new set of tax complications with it due to NL authorities’ general attitude to people living in Belgium. If you are in work where you also work from home it becomes even more of a pain in the backside. Taxes in BE are in generally higher and the medical system a lot different, there are basically price differences with this or that but in the end it tends to balance out. I have a son who has lived there for over 15 years and we have big discussions about the unnecessary problems. If you are planning to change nationality do some careful research first. There are seldom benefits to becoming Dutch if you are a Brit.
Old Oct 20th 2022, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Curious how it played out, Fugee? Did you manage to get dual citizenship? Did you find some other way? Are you still in NL?