Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

anyone here living or familiar with Bruges please?

anyone here living or familiar with Bruges please?

Old Sep 1st 2018, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute
Default anyone here living or familiar with Bruges please?

Have got a real itch to visit Bruges for a long weekend next Spring. Would be travelling from central Italy so I guess it's fly to Milan then fly to Ostend then catch a train? If anyone has any advice I'd be most grateful. Thanks
Old Oct 8th 2018, 5:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone here living or familiar with Bruges please?

Originally Posted by Pica
Have got a real itch to visit Bruges for a long weekend next Spring. Would be travelling from central Italy so I guess it's fly to Milan then fly to Ostend then catch a train? If anyone has any advice I'd be most grateful. Thanks
All I've done is stopover for a few hours on the way back to Calais from various trips to Switzerland and Austria. The coach drivers would drop us off while they went to collect everyone's Chocolate order
There was a nice Christmas market one time - but those markets are nice almost anywhere. Nice place with a nice square to sit and watch the day go by, as with many places in Europe.

Did you see In Bruges?
Old Oct 13th 2018, 5:30 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica
Only just seen this.

Bruges is a lovely place, haven't been there for ages, but intend to visit soon-ish.

If you can fly Milan-Ostend then great, it's a short train ride to Bruges. Flying into Brussels is also do-able, train from Zaventem to downtown Brussels (Midi?), change trains then on to Bruges.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Bruges ( Brugge) Is a gorgeous little jewel box of a place with many old ties to the UK. Look at many of the ancient houses and you will see the names of Yorkshire wool merchants or Scottish ones above the doors. It was one of the most important trading places in Europe at one time ,and extremely rich as a result. I have visited it many times during 30 yrs living in NL. But it is a b***** to get to. . You seem to have already worked out the best way to get there . Avoid going by road is all I would say.Traffic out of Brussels or Antwerp is a total nightmare imo. Enjoy your visit and if the weather is good,don't forget to take a boat trip on the tiny canals that make it look like a mini Venice.
Sorry can't give advice on hotels as we always drove there and back in a day, Its a small place so I would try and book early. Enjoy
Old Nov 28th 2018, 11:00 am
Just Joined

chaikhosi is an unknown quantity at this point

Ostend is a very small airport. Some holiday charters, but I'm not sure it has any scheduled flights in the off season. There are direct trains from Brussels airport to Bruges, or I think Charleroi is doable too but that's further.

Once you get there, buy some handmade chocolates (quite a bit cheaper than in Brussels for some reason), eat frites with mayo at the stall in front of the big bell tower that Brendan Gleeson's character jumps off in the film, drink some excellent beer (there's a couple of small breweries within the old town) and wander round some of the quiet cobbled backstreets and canals on a misty morning when nobody else is up. Lovely place for a weekend trip.