Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Your Thoughts on TodayTonight's Report on the British Invasion

View Poll Results: How do you feel when you aren't wanted Down Under?
Completely Fine with it
63.64%
Hate it
9.09%
Don't like it, prefer if they keep it to themselves
27.27%
Neutral
27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Your Thoughts on TodayTonight's Report on the British Invasion

Old Jan 22nd 2014, 7:11 am
Just Joined

drizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond repute
Question Your Thoughts on TodayTonight's Report on the British Invasion

So last night TodayTonight VIC/NSW ran a report on the "British Invasion". So I wanted to know what other Brits think or feel when you hear this report, or anything that makes you feel that you aren't really wanted or need Down Under.

Personally I don't like it when Aussies openly say it to our faces, but if I just hear whispers I'm fine with it.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 7:22 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your Thoughts on TodayTonight's Report on the British Invasion

I havent seen it but its Today Tonight so it is the most awful tabloid show on TV. They will 'interview' 10 people by asking them a loaded question and show the worst comments that were made.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Cant really answer, as I honestly cannot recall anyone ever saying it directly to me here in Melbourne at least, in my 34 years here.

Caviet: I've heard lots of jokes about Poms and shoot him before he turns bad like the rest, but to be honest I dont take that as a personal attack... More of a generic thing like the Aussies do with Kiwis, or Vics with NSWelshman or Queenslanders etc etc.

As for the show last night, didn't get to watch it, I did plan to but missed it, so interested in peoples views.

Old Jan 22nd 2014, 7:47 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I have certainly heard some very hurtful and incredibly inaccurate comments made to Brits over the years. My wife was on the receiving end of a few in the early days when she arrived.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drizzcool
So last night TodayTonight VIC/NSW ran a report on the "British Invasion". So I wanted to know what other Brits think or feel when you hear this report, or anything that makes you feel that you aren't really wanted or need Down Under.

Personally I don't like it when Aussies openly say it to our faces, but if I just hear whispers I'm fine with it.
Sorry. Don't watch channel 9. Bogan TV is not allowed in my house therefore Channel 9 only gets a run when the cricket is on.

Brits have been invading Australia for 226 years. What could possibly be the point of the TV show?
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I have certainly heard some very hurtful and incredibly inaccurate comments made to Brits over the years. My wife was on the receiving end of a few in the early days when she arrived.
Like what? This should be interesting.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 8:42 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Sorry. Don't watch channel 9. Bogan TV is not allowed in my house therefore Channel 9 only gets a run when the cricket is on.

Brits have been invading Australia for 226 years. What could possibly be the point of the TV show?
If it wasn't for the Brits, there would have had to be an 'invasion' by another country in the beginning, at least the majority of the early 'settlers' were British, so without them Australia wouldn't be what it is today.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 8:46 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonig...lish-invasion/

Same old same old - they feel threatened by people who look like them, but have done more, and probably know more. TV can't be so politically incorrect as to go after those that look foreign, but Brits, they think, are fair game.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mikelincs
If it wasn't for the Brits, there would have had to be an 'invasion' by another country in the beginning, at least the majority of the early 'settlers' were British, so without them Australia wouldn't be what it is today.
..... and that is exactly the irony of this topic.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 9:18 am
Banned

Originally Posted by GarryP
http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonig...lish-invasion/

Same old same old - they feel threatened by people who look like them, but have done more, and probably know more. TV can't be so politically incorrect as to go after those that look foreign, but Brits, they think, are fair game.
Yes I think that is exactly the point, the obsession with Brits and the UK in Australia is incredible, any excuse to take a swipe is accepted with relish.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 9:26 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz

Old Jan 22nd 2014, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I picked up from this utter pish was that some Australian's (mainly in the media) do not understand the difference between "Great Britain" and "England".
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tartankoala
The only thing I picked up from this utter pish was that some Australian's (mainly in the media) do not understand the difference between.
"Fact" and "Fiction" perhaps
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The only thing I picked up from this utter pish was that some Australian's (mainly in the media) do not understand the difference between "Great Britain" and "England".
It's not pish, its fact and not just reserved to Australians. Ask your average American and you'll find the same thing. I doubt British history, geography or politics is taught in Australian schools, at least not at a non elective level.

When I went to school in the UK, I was called a "Typical Bloody Australian". When I went to school in Australia I was called a "Typical Pommie Bastard".

If you start taking these things personally you end up like Chris.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 9:55 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Hahaha, true. Also I would bet a majority of English wouldn't be able to do that either. It's not that easy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.