30+%
32.69%
Whats a mortgage?
30.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Your mortgage consumes how much NET income

Old May 3rd 2008, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold
Default Your mortgage consumes how much NET income

Following on from the "how big is your mortgage thread". A more relvant poll - how much of you net income does you mortage consume?
Old May 3rd 2008, 12:54 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your mortgage consumes how much NET income

after we finish the house build we will be in the 30% plus brkt. but does it matter? large house, large debt and large equity. we could own a nice home and be mortgage free but we choose not to. personally cant see what all the fuss is with being mortgage free. its part of life
Old May 3rd 2008, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean - a couple of my work colleagues were always smug about the fact they have no mortgage on their house.

However, personally, i wouldn't have been happy living where they were living (in a 2 bed terrace) and have always chosen to take on a fairly large mortgage.
Old May 3rd 2008, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, mortgage free after all these years thank goodness. I dont see people aspiring to live in grotty little three bedroom weatherboards like we have but the relief of knowing that I dont have to fork out for a mortgage in my old age is like a big black cloud lifted!
Old May 3rd 2008, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

My tennants pay my mortgage in London and almost all of my rent here. Mind you when I lived there it was costing me 50-60% of my net income but that was because I overpaid my mortgage.
Old May 3rd 2008, 1:39 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

It is possible to have a nice home and be mortgage free you know.

With the freedom of not owing someone 1/4 or 1/2 a million upwards dollars and interest rates being what they are the benefits are self explanatory.

If nothing else your work/life balance can be a lot better should you wish it.
Old May 3rd 2008, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather be mortgage free.

1) For one thing, you're not spending *years* just paying interest.
2) That 1000 bucks or so goes along way.
3) You're not at the mercy of the bank, or interest rates.
Old May 3rd 2008, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I'd rather be mortgage free.

1) For one thing, you're not spending *years* just paying interest.
2) That 1000 bucks or so goes along way.
3) You're not at the mercy of the bank, or interest rates.
Yeah, i think we'd all rather be mortgage free (and could be by setting our sights slightly lower) - however, for us, to get the house we REALLY want it has been worth 'borrowing' that little bit extra as we wanted the nice outlook, privacy, pool etc.

Agree completely about the interest rates though, but it'll be worth it when paid off
Old May 4th 2008, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

At present we have a low mortgage but are looking at moving and increasing it quite substantially.

Personal choice for me is always mortgage with it all paid off before I retire then I won't have to worry about paying rent with the pension (as I expect it will be lower than my salary). The extra 20/30 years of not paying rent when I'm retired is worth the little bit extra paying a mortgage now for me.