British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Your Concerns or Worries with the move? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/your-concerns-worries-move-431998/)

thebears Mar 3rd 2007 11:37 pm

Your Concerns or Worries with the move?

What are your concerns or worries with a move to Oz?

grahampaula Mar 4th 2007 4:09 pm

Re: Your Concerns or Worries with the move?

Originally Posted by thebears (Post 4478977)

Gawd, where do I start. I won't list the pages of concerns so I suppose I will just have to say everything! but we are not going to let them get in our way.:)

rebnatoli Mar 4th 2007 5:04 pm

heres some of mine....

will we be homeless once our 5 weeks pre-booked accom is up
will we find a suburb we like quickly & will there be any houses for rent
will we find jobs
will we find new friends

but probably most of all will we wish we did it years ago!

OzzieNurse Mar 4th 2007 5:21 pm

Being able to cope, being independent, finding somewhere to live and a job, making friends, enjoying living and working there, making sure my son has the best I can offer, protecting him from danger and threats, not allowing myself to be hurt again by someone I love, and being more aware of people and that they sometimes pretend to be friends or something they are not, so I guess not trusting people so quickly. All the same emotional and environmental issues that arrise here in the UK. I guess some things are unavoidable.
I think the best thing for my future is to live my life to the full and make the most of Australia while I can.

Kapri Mar 4th 2007 5:51 pm

1. Will any of us feel homesick enough to have to come home.
2. Will we cope financially for the first year whilst OH retrains and I'm the sole earner?
3. Will he get a job once he has his qualification?
4. Will we meet people we like and make friends (we know nobody out there!)

It's natural to have concerns but I feel fairly optimistic otherwise I wouldn't do it! :)

JenJen Mar 4th 2007 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Kapri (Post 4481198)
1. Will any of us feel homesick enough to have to come home.
2. Will we cope financially for the first year whilst OH retrains and I'm the sole earner?
3. Will he get a job once he has his qualification?
4. Will we meet people we like and make friends (we know nobody out there!)
No but you know i'm going you narna and if nothing else we both liek the thought of going out for a few drinks, so any stresses i'll put one of those bedmat things on my shoulder and you can cry on it or alternatively i'll put a sumo suit on and you can vent and kick and scream and beat me up how that sound?It's natural to have concerns but I feel fairly optimistic otherwise I wouldn't do it! :)

OK my big worries.

Will my dad be ok as we'll be leaving him all alone here.
Will my dad cope with visiting as much as he wants to.
Will I be so homesick I find it hard to settle and take things too easily to heart
Will My husband enjoy his job (he should theirs a flippin pool there)
Will my husbands shifts stay as agreed or will I lose him at weekends liek I do now.
Will he get promoted like the company said they wanted to do so he'd be on more money.
Will I find and make friends that I can share the good times and bad with, who'll laugh with me when i'm standing trying to suck a hunstmen up in the hoover, who'll cry with me if we get homesick and smile with with us as we celebrate kids birthdays, anniversaries the fact the sun is shining and everything is ok. Will i find people who will be long term friends and understand i'm not a completely negative pessimistic moo.
Will the kids settle in and make nice friends.
Will we be able to have our dream out there of not being financially drained yet able to afford the type of house and lifestyle we want ( no not too extravagant).
When all my kids are at school will I be able to either re-train or find a job based on the lack of skills I have lol

Will I manange to get loads of excercise, eat healthily, lose weight and see a bit more of my pre kids body - I can't cope with wearing lots when it's hot so looking nice in shorts and a strappy top would be good without my gut hanging out, boobs migrating south, or ar*e trying to escape from my shorts lol

Not much really but I am hopeful

Jen

Simba Mar 4th 2007 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by rebnatoli (Post 4481095)
heres some of mine....

will we be homeless once our 5 weeks pre-booked accom is up
will we find a suburb we like quickly & will there be any houses for rent
will we find jobs
will we find new friends

but probably most of all will we wish we did it years ago!

ditto the above

Bishop3912m Mar 4th 2007 7:08 pm

Only concern is is my life gonna be any easier......

Kapri Mar 4th 2007 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by JenJen (Post 4481313)

Will I find and make friends that I can share the good times and bad with, who'll laugh with me when i'm standing trying to suck a hunstmen up in the hoover, who'll cry with me if we get homesick and smile with with us as we celebrate kids birthdays, anniversaries the fact the sun is shining and everything is ok.

Jen

Absolutely!
If you have a huntsman you can send him to my house to eat the cockroaches :eek:
The kids birthdays thing is something I think about too. No Granny or Nana to make a fuss of them. Still , having said that ,everytime they have a birthday or Xmas I moan about how spoilt they are.
The amount of stuff they get is unbelievable!. it might be better if they get money from the UK that they can put towards expensive items (such as bottle of champagne for Mummy :p )

OzzieNurse Mar 4th 2007 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Kapri (Post 4481500)
Absolutely!
If you have a huntsman you can send him to my house to eat the cockroaches :eek:
The kids birthdays thing is something I think about too. No Granny or Nana to make a fuss of them. Still , having said that ,everytime they have a birthday or Xmas I moan about how spoilt they are.
The amount of stuff they get is unbelievable!. it might be better if they get money from the UK that they can put towards expensive items (such as bottle of champagne for Mummy :p )

are roaches a big problem too?

chilli Mar 4th 2007 9:00 pm

being able to stay
kids settling
my wife being happy
that i would know enough lads to buy a round
having a job earning enough to stand my round..
if srewing up my eyes would give me wrinkles
would my wrinkles make me look distinguished....
thats it, everything else i can get sorted..:)

Cheetah7 Mar 4th 2007 9:51 pm

Mine are as follows:

1. Being so far from my Dad and the thought of something happening to him and me not being able to get back to him. Dad ageing and me having to see the changes so visibly when I see him next. When you are with someone all the time you dont notice these changes.

2. Not being able to find a job and running out of cash.

3. Not being able to make friends

4. Not being able to find somewhere to live

5. Racism - we have got used to it in the UK so are nervous about getting used to it in Oz.

Thats it.

Margaret3 Mar 4th 2007 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by thebears (Post 4478977)

I know i worry like mad, but am sure at the end of the day i will overcome all the practical things, my two main worries are:

lonliness - i dont want to feel lonely

teen - i want her to be happy before anything else in the world

my husband, wouldn't feel lonely if he was alone on a dessert island and my 8 year old wont be lonely coz i know she's happy with us, for now:D

Margaret3 Mar 4th 2007 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 4482181)
Mine are as follows:

3. Not being able to make friends

Thats it.

I've met you , never in a million years will that be a problem for you:D
Funny enough i was thinking about this today, am a funny bugger, alright in a crowd, but find it hard to make 'individual', if thats the right word, friendships, i always think am dead boring:)

chilli Mar 5th 2007 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Margaret3 (Post 4482493)
I've met you , never in a million years will that be a problem for you:D
Funny enough i was thinking about this today, am a funny bugger, alright in a crowd, but find it hard to make 'individual', if thats the right word, friendships, i always think am dead boring:)

im sure your just as lovely, nice and interesting as the 'next' person :)

looking, for a friend is an odd and not something that we do. we find a friend when they 'just come along'. thats not the same as meeting people, which is easy to do. friends pop up out of the blue, they are found in groups of people. the wider you spread your net the more likely you are to find them..

this is really quite hard to write for me because its full of cliches.
a watched pot, wait for a bus, then five come along ;) im sure you know what i mean.
at least there is a pool of people in the same boat who will be doing the same as you and will have that initial connection, each of those people will know others too..
all this is obvious i know, but its also true...:)
we are all attracted to confidence but most of the time that confidence is an act, or a technique. some confident people are lovely and 'go ahead' types, equally, some confident people are extremely negative..

you will find them Margaret, they are there to be found..:thumbup: