Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

You will never be an Aussie?

View Poll Results: Are you seen as an Aussie by the majority of Aussie born Aussies?
Yes that is what I have experienced
25.00%
Yes to a degree only white caucasians are regarded as Aussie
9.38%
No, not true or am I kidding myself? Reality check?
56.25%
No I am regarded as an Aussie because I am Caucasian no matter where I was from
9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

You will never be an Aussie?

Old May 7th 2009, 4:40 am
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of
Default Re: You will never be an Aussie?

Haven't read all the thread as have to go pick my boy up from school but from what i can gather on the way things are for me is that being an "Aussie" is about the way you live your life and how much of the lifestyle you get into, i don't think your accent makes a difference at all. A good friend of mine has a great way of putting it and that is that he calls me and my family possies as he describes as poms in aussie suits as we are trying to embrace the lifestyle in anyway possible. My son is 5 and has been here since he was 2 so he has lived longer in Aus than in the UK he loves AFL ( go the swans) and is a member of our local little athletics group. We are originally from Birmingham so you can just imagine the accent lol. All i can say is i can't wait for the day i get my citizenship but that ill not make me anymore aussie than i am now but i am proud to call myself a Possie cheers greg.

Poshrice
Old May 7th 2009, 4:49 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone ever accuses me of being an Aussie they'll get a clip round the lughole.

Who on earth would want to be thought of as an Aussie? Although, if you start off as English you might be making some progress...
Old May 7th 2009, 7:42 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Our builder who came to Australia in the late '60s as a 19yo was called up for Vietnam.

He was not an Aussie citizen.
One difference is that he is also able to vote, even though not a citizen, due to rules on citizenship pre 1980 ish..

I know that British people that arrived pre 1976 (at least) do not need Australian Citizenship to be able to come and go at will, be able to vote and work for Federal government departments, and of course fight for their chosen country.

The current Citizenship website quotes:
Responsibilities of Australian citizens
Citizenship also brings with it responsibilities. For example, citizens are required to:
obey Australian laws
defend Australia should the need arise
serve on a jury if called to do so
enrol on Federal and state/territory electoral registers
vote in elections
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applyi...privileges.htm
But..... does that mean that non-citizens are not obliged to obey Australian laws ?

I'll use that next time I get done for speeding

Old May 8th 2009, 1:23 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
That happens if youre a permanent resident too. Dont think youre getting off that easily.
I'm a citizen

But then I'm a lady so that should get me off (going to war I mean, obviously)
Old May 8th 2009, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
One difference is that he is also able to vote, even though not a citizen, due to rules on citizenship pre 1980 ish..

I know that British people that arrived pre 1976 (at least) do not need Australian Citizenship to be able to come and go at will, be able to vote and work for Federal government departments, and of course fight for their chosen country.

The current Citizenship website quotes:

But..... does that mean that non-citizens are not obliged to obey Australian laws ?

I'll use that next time I get done for speeding
That non-citizen voting rule only applied to the British though, every other nationality had to become a citizen to vote.
Old May 8th 2009, 6:23 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

That non-citizen voting rule only applied to the British though, every other nationality had to become a citizen to vote.
Quite right too. Whatever happened to the old world order? Sniff.
Old May 8th 2009, 6:32 am
ABCDiamond

But of course, what else could one expect

Old May 9th 2009, 7:11 pm
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by livinginreality
hey can we get those t shirts in the UK?Thats very funny
Probably have to do what they did and write it across your chest with a permanent marker. At least as a pom you'll probably get the spelling right unlike these yobs
Old May 9th 2009, 11:37 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
Not strictly true - if you were born overseas but achieve something great or are in the public domain then you will be seen as Australian but as for the rest of us, well lets be honest, we are not really are we?
Do we have to be?
Old May 10th 2009, 12:09 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

When I lived in London (for about 17 years) I considered myself a Londoner but I didn't consider myself a born and bred Londoner.

Does it really matter?
Old May 10th 2009, 12:11 am
Account Closed

A strange anomaly is that I feel more Victorian than I do Australian. Probably because I have little in common with the banana benders.
Old May 10th 2009, 5:34 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
A strange anomaly is that I feel more Victorian than I do Australian. Probably because I have little in common with the banana benders.
Likewise, as a Queenslander we wouldn't want to be associated with those Mexicans in the south. I hear they have flu...
Old May 10th 2009, 6:02 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Likewise, as a Queenslander we wouldn't want to be associated with those Mexicans in the south. I hear they have flu...
Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Both provincial backwaters full of inbreds and sheep worriers. Everyone knows that the first state is also the best state.
Old May 10th 2009, 7:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Centurion
Maybe it why we have decent bacon down here.

As nicknames go I quite like Mexican
Old May 10th 2009, 7:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hutch
Both provincial backwaters full of inbreds and sheep worriers. Everyone knows that the first state is also the best state.
NSW the sooky state. It's your fault that Canberra exists. Couldn't cope that Vic was the better state at Federation (and now).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.