Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

You want a drink? Give me your fingerprints.

Wikiposts

You want a drink? Give me your fingerprints.

Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You want a drink? Give me your fingerprints.

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I have been turned away because I had a UK driving licence, and not a local one. I asked why I needed a local one, and the bouncer told me "In case there's any trouble." So he is going to remember the names and addresses from EVERY driving licence that he looks at through the course of the evening is he? Or is he actually making a note of your address so he can tell his burgling mates that you're not in...

S
When they do this they usually put it in a machine which takes a scanned image of it.

I use my UK drivers licence and haven't been knocked back because of it. Tell them I'm here on holiday.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:43 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
When they do this they usually put it in a machine which takes a scanned image of it.

I use my UK drivers licence and haven't been knocked back because of it. Tell them I'm here on holiday.

Yeah, that's why I keep mine in my wallet. I don't want some scummy nightclub bouncer knowing where I live thank you very much.

S
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
True enough, but there are administrative laws, rules and codes of practice that monitor this sort of thing. For example, fingerprint and DNA data has to be destroyed if you are later found to be not guilty of an offence. There is no carte blanche keeping it for all eternity.

I find this to be a very disturbing development, and I think that I would choose to drink elsewhere TBH. There's no law in NSW that says you have to possess a driving licence or similar ID to be able to go for a drink, though you wouldn't know it - the number of bars where doormen demand to see ID before allowing you entry is on the increase, and even when the patrons are obviously over 18.

I have been turned away because I had a UK driving licence, and not a local one. I asked why I needed a local one, and the bouncer told me "In case there's any trouble." So he is going to remember the names and addresses from EVERY driving licence that he looks at through the course of the evening is he? Or is he actually making a note of your address so he can tell his burgling mates that you're not in...

S
Well the article says the system deletes the data after 28 days. Unless you're a 'troublemaker' - whatever that means.

I've found Oz in general to be pretty ID crazy. Although friends who have worked behind bars here have told me that barstaff can be personally liable for fines if they serve someone underage so that is part of the reason they are extra cautious. Whether that is actually law or not I'm not sure?

Obviously this whole fingerprint malarky is open to much more abuse than any good it does and is a shitty thing for pubs to do.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Indeed there is,but i was spec ops,trust me my mother couldn't find me if she wanted to,in fact im not even bernie barfly
Wow. I was considered a bit 'special' at school....
Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:45 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Indeed there is,but i was spec ops,trust me my mother couldn't find me if she wanted to,in fact im not even bernie barfly
If the government wants to find you they will. Read up about a guy called Kenneth Noye.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If the government wants to find you they will. Read up about a guy called Kenneth Noye.
He went to the wrong country.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:57 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

He went to the wrong country.
The British government also used GCHQ to find him - an extraordinary version of using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. But it does show you their ability to find people - and this is only the part they are telling us.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

The British government also used GCHQ to find him - an extraordinary version of using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. But it does show you their ability to find people - and this is only the part they are telling us.
They tried getting Ronnie Biggs for years.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Most non voip household telephones can be used to eavesdrop, as can all GSM phones. In fact GSM can actually track you.

So big brother is alive and kicking quite actively. As for the net, dont dare think that is private. Nor anything on your computer.

It's who can access the information that could be an issue.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 5:19 pm
Proudly Deplorable

They tried getting Ronnie Biggs for years.
True, but that was then and this is now and their efforts were a bit of a joke. The 'war on terror' and governments ability to justify it have changed everything.

Moving to Iran might stop them finding you.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:10 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Although friends who have worked behind bars here have told me that barstaff can be personally liable for fines if they serve someone underage so that is part of the reason they are extra cautious. Whether that is actually law or not I'm not sure?
True.
The barstaff and hotelier are responsible for both that and serving you if you are intoxicated. If you look around the bar, you will usually see notices posted around advising this and the fines.