Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are you 'old' for your age?

Are you 'old' for your age?

Old Nov 2nd 2009, 2:24 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Are you 'old' for your age?

Have you noticed that some people seem to run towards old age, an old friend of mine always seemed 'old' and now he is officially a pensioner he seems to love it as though it didnt come soon enough.

Some people seem older than their years, some people seem alot younger. Personally I havent grown up that much and still find childish things funny.

Although I dont consider myself to be MDAL, I do find alot of the clothes aimed at females my age to be rather frumpy - well in Perth anyway, can't speak for anywhere else.

My sister is a grandmother at 50 years old and doesnt look her age at all, doesnt act it either and not in a bad way, in fact I think she is rather fantastic.

There is nothing wrong with getting older, some people are just as busy in their retirement as they were when they were working - just in a different way.

Are you young at heart? Do you act your age? Do you look your age? Have you kept the young/naughty streak you always had?

Has bad health made you 'old' or a life changing event made you 'young' in your approach to life?

My Mum told me once, 'who said you have to act your age?' and I think she is right. There are no rules that say you have to be sensible all of the time I guess.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 2:47 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you 'old' for your age?

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Have you noticed that some people seem to run towards old age, an old friend of mine always seemed 'old' and now he is officially a pensioner he seems to love it as though it didnt come soon enough.

Some people seem older than their years, some people seem alot younger. Personally I havent grown up that much and still find childish things funny.

Although I dont consider myself to be MDAL, I do find alot of the clothes aimed at females my age to be rather frumpy - well in Perth anyway, can't speak for anywhere else.

My sister is a grandmother at 50 years old and doesnt look her age at all, doesnt act it either and not in a bad way, in fact I think she is rather fantastic.

There is nothing wrong with getting older, some people are just as busy in their retirement as they were when they were working - just in a different way.

Are you young at heart? Do you act your age? Do you look your age? Have you kept the young/naughty streak you always had?

Has bad health made you 'old' or a life changing event made you 'young' in your approach to life?

My Mum told me once, 'who said you have to act your age?' and I think she is right. There are no rules that say you have to be sensible all of the time I guess.

ooooh, good timing Sam. I was thinking of both you, and this very subject on the weekend just past. The kids and I pressed all the buttons on the nice new display of animated Xmas toys in a local store lolol Excellent fun, I think I enjoyed it more than the girls
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Well Id say Im young at heart, and always looked young for my age. It was awful though getting asked for ID in pubs/clubs when I was 22 though.

In fact I got told off in Coral Bay for being in a hired canoe with my teen son. The guy said we needed an adult with us
Much embarrassment from the guy when I said I was the mum!
I think its because Im short and also freckly.

I still keep up with music and know about fashion etc, so not a oldie yet.

However I have got a sister who is nearly 40 and she dresses like a teen, just been told she is walking around in hot pants! Also goes night clubbing every weekend. She is bit mad and gone too far the other way.
She is married with kids, but is way too busy acting like a 16year old.

My parents are the opposite. They have been acting like pensioners for years, waiting to retire. Now they finally reached retirement they are acting like the are 101. God I dont want to put my life on hold like them.
However dont want to be mutton dressed as lamb like my sister.

Gems
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:04 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering about this myself. I was looking at all the old farts playing lawn bowls at my local bowlo and I thought to myself, who's going to replace them when the current generation come through? Because I'd sooner disembowel myself with a spoon than play it. And then I remembered a bloke a good ten years younger than me who said he loved bowls and I thought, maybe it's just me.

I feel the same way about music. Some people's interest in music just seems to come to a shuddering halt at some point in their mid-20s and they never listen to anything else. They're into classic '70s rock, or new romantic stuff or whatever. But I can't get enough of new stuff - I record all the good late night Radio 1 shows and listen to 'em on my commute. I'd go mad if I had to put a stake in the sand and declare, "this is my era and I faithfully promise not to listen to anything else." Hey ho.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:05 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems
Well Id say Im young at heart, and always looked young for my age. It was awful though getting asked for ID in pubs/clubs when I was 22 though.

In fact I got told off in Coral Bay for being in a hired canoe with my teen son. The guy said we needed an adult with us
Much embarrassment from the guy when I said I was the mum!
I think its because Im short and also freckly.

I still keep up with music and know about fashion etc, so not a oldie yet.

However I have got a sister who is nearly 40 and she dresses like a teen, just been told she is walking around in hot pants! Also goes night clubbing every weekend. She is bit mad and gone too far the other way.
She is married with kids, but is way too busy acting like a 16year old.

My parents are the opposite. They have been acting like pensioners for years, waiting to retire. Now they finally reached retirement they are acting like the are 101. God I dont want to put my life on hold like them.
However dont want to be mutton dressed as lamb like my sister.

Gems
I'm like you Gems in terms of music. I still love listening to new music.

I don't like the frumpy clothes around either. I guess it's all about striking a balance so as not to end up like your sister. I find myself looking at some shops like Supre and Bardot and loving some of what they have but I'm both the wrong side of 30 and the wrong side of a size 12 to wear any of it. That said, I don't want to be dressed by Suzanne Grae either I've realised that the lesson my Mum tried to teach me in my teens about class and style was oh so true lol.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:06 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

A lot of it is mindset. When I got to thirty I thought I'd start going back in years, so then I was 29, 28, 27, etc... I'm now 21 and think I'll stay there a while.

I left my boss speechless the other day when I told her it's really my 40th next year. She didn't believe me. I regularly get told I look in my late twenties and have had to grow a beard to look a bit older. Women my age don't look at me as they think I'm too young... I have to thank my mom for her good genes, she's 67 and looks about 50. When I was a teenager people thought she was my sister, and a couple of school friends used to have a crush on her!

My dad was very different, on his 50th birthday he threw all of his pairs of jeans away and said he was too old to wear them and never ever wore a pair again. As soon as he thought of himself as old, he visibly aged...

There was an experiment a few years back where a retirement home in the USA changed all it's decor & furniture to how it was in the fifties and played fifties music, fifties TV and got all the retirees to wear clothes from when they were younger. They fitness tested them before & after and they all were healthier, fitter and happier than before. This experiment was well documented on the web... I'll see if I can find a link...
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:06 am
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by Hutch
I was wondering about this myself. I was looking at all the old farts playing lawn bowls at my local bowlo and I thought to myself, who's going to replace them when the current generation come through? Because I'd sooner disembowel myself with a spoon than play it. And then I remembered a bloke a good ten years younger than me who said he loved bowls and I thought, maybe it's just me.

I feel the same way about music. Some people's interest in music just seems to come to a shuddering halt at some point in their mid-20s and they never listen to anything else. They're into classic '70s rock, or new romantic stuff or whatever. But I can't get enough of new stuff - I record all the good late night Radio 1 shows and listen to 'em on my commute. I'd go mad if I had to put a stake in the sand and declare, "this is my era and I faithfully promise not to listen to anything else." Hey ho.

Do you think the bowls clubs will be full of wii playing pensioners when we're all old? lol
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:12 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently getting away with "40 at most" - which is odd because I'm the first to tell anyone my age. I've just turned 47 and I thought I was going to have to get the smelling salts out for one of the younger girls at work when I dropped that into the conversation.

Age is but a number. When I was 19 I thought 25 was ancient. Strange how, when you reach an age yourself, suddenly it seems so much younger.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:19 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I definitely think and feel a lot older than a really am (which is just 30!). I still look fairly young although I suppose that's to be expected The women in my family age well so here's hoping I'll be just like them.

Mostly I find that if I compare myself to people the same age I just seem a lot older somehow. Particularly when it comes to things like finances, savings, life goals, etc. Perhaps it's because we've come a lot further than a lot of my high school friends who are still living in my home town, not married, etc. I suppose further isn't necessarily the right word, I just mean my thoughts and actions have changed a lot more than there's might have.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:23 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I get told all the time that I look younger than my age. I'm nearly 47 but I was blessed with good genes from both of my parents. My dad was 88 when he died last year and people thought he looked early to mid 70s. My mother has visibly aged since his death, but she always looked at least 10 years younger than her age too.

My husband though has always been an old man. We met when he was only 24 and he was old then! He's 4 years younger than I am but he looks and acts much older. Guess someone has to be the grown up, eh?
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest problem I notice for most people is that they put on weight.

This always makes you look middle-aged whatever you do - assuming you were at least 30-35 before this onset.

When a man in his 30s get a beer belly and big arms - it's hard work.

Once women get bat-wing arms, and broad shoulders this makes frumpy tentage clothing compulsory. Even a good pair of legs can't solve that one.
When women get big feet, and wear frumpy shoes this also makes them look old.

I realised the other day I don't mind if the boss gets a belly. It's her feet and arms she needs to keep an eye on.

Posture too. She has great posture which takes years off. She is 9 months pregnant right now and it's almost a preview of what she might be like when she is 60... ;-) which ain't bad if truth be told.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Myself - I can take 7 years off my age quite credibly.
My old man is 77 and looks literally 50. There's a photo of him competing in a bicycle ride and he has tone and bulk in his biceps the like of which some men leave behind in their twenties - or indeed, never got.

I do find though that teens look very young - but in a sort of suburban can't take them seriously way. I'm sure that fashions were more kind to us when we were the same age..I don't think the current look does them any favours, especially young men.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

It's obviously all about state of mind. No one but no one believes my age when I tell them, in fact they think I'm taking the piss.

For me one of the most important things, is something that comes naturally to me, and thats Music. I love to listen to new things, I dont get stuck in the past. Hutch is dead right about listening to contemporary music.

The other thing I feel quite important is to look forward to the future rather than relive the past.

As for young at heart... well here's an opportune time to say what I'll be upto this weekend. Probably taking my youngest down to Footscray market to pick up some illegal fireworks. Get a real buzz out of those. I'd probably be after them for NYE even if I didnt have a 12 year old son to enjoy them with.

I also love gadgets and cannot wait for the day when I see a hologram in my living room, I'll be keeping my hand in with technical devices until that day is a reality.

Hmm another factor I'm almost unwilling to say, is, I do like to pay attention and get attention from the women in my social groups. Whether that be a work or in a social setting..... I actually can recall feeling the same feelings in my teens at times.

Right I'm orf to help my son load up his PSP with downloaded games
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:54 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
ooooh, good timing Sam. I was thinking of both you, and this very subject on the weekend just past. The kids and I pressed all the buttons on the nice new display of animated Xmas toys in a local store lolol Excellent fun, I think I enjoyed it more than the girls
Oh yes, it is almost that time again for the yearly Xmas setting off of the christmas toys in department stores.

I was in Woolies in Freo the other day and Abdel lost me and then he heard lots of xmas toys playing a christmassy 'Benny Hill' tune - you know the one, God knows why as xmas toys should play xmas songs not Benny Hill tunes. Anyway, Mr PP heard it and said he 'just knew' who had done it, he found me running round the other side sniggering my head off.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 4:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Hmm another factor I'm almost unwilling to say, is, I do like to pay attention and get attention from the women in my social groups. Whether that be a work or in a social setting..... I actually can recall feeling the same feelings in my teens at times.
Raging hormones - and awkward lumps in funny places?!

Agree - the day you can't flirt with the ladies is a bad one. I had a girl telling me that I must be an allright bloke because I am married to what she considered a beautiful woman.

Some girls in the office found a photo of me in my 20s doing a photo shoot lying around on my desk and they all said the bloke was HOT - they instantly connected around the same time that it was me and couldn't believe how long ago the photo was taken - and that they thought the photo was much more recent. I'm the first to state for the record that they didn't say I was HOT now. Some men improve with age of course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.