Are you old fashioned?

Wikiposts

Are you old fashioned?

Old Oct 25th 2007, 6:57 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are you old fashioned?

Originally Posted by Wendy
All of them
Some of the values I admire in my other half are her ability to think for herself, take charge and put me in my place from time to time!

I went out with a girl a few years ago who was a total wallflower, a sheep..........no mind of her own. Bored me bloomin' ridgid!! Give me a feisty Bra Burner anyday!!
Old Oct 25th 2007, 7:03 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

What if the mother has a career that cannot be "left"?

What if the parents divorce after mum's been at home? Mum's screwed!

I know -- I've lived these things as a female engineer.

And now my job is the better paying between myself and my (new) husband.

We live in the US where if you don't have a job, you are screwed (no dole, no child benefit etc).

The one nice thing about my career is that it's very flexible, so long as you are willing to work loads of hours a week. You can pop out to your kid's school play -- this isn't true for the women who work in "traditional" female roles where they can't leave work very easily (nurses, teachers).

It's never easy being a woman but it's really not easy being a mother and having to decide what to do about work. Even the wife of a gazillionaire might want to retain her professional identity.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
What if the mother has a career that cannot be "left"?

What if the parents divorce after mum's been at home? Mum's screwed!

I know -- I've lived these things as a female engineer.

And now my job is the better paying between myself and my (new) husband.

We live in the US where if you don't have a job, you are screwed (no dole, no child benefit etc).

The one nice thing about my career is that it's very flexible, so long as you are willing to work loads of hours a week. You can pop out to your kid's school play -- this isn't true for the women who work in "traditional" female roles where they can't leave work very easily (nurses, teachers).

It's never easy being a woman but it's really not easy being a mother and having to decide what to do about work. Even the wife of a gazillionaire might want to retain her professional identity.
Sounds like you have a job like mine!!!! I work in Construction doing Health and Safety (for my sins) - I have days where I put in long hours but can make up by being able to go to school events and picking them up / dropping them off a couple of times a month....

Lau x
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

charb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by killamarsh
I'm not sitting on the fence but honestly feel and think - each to their own. I don't think there is any right or wrong answer. I have a young child and work full time. If I wasn't a single parent, would I work full time - probably because I love to go to work.
Yes, defo, each to their own - it's down to what works in your individual family. Personally, I have made my child fit into my lifestyle, not the other way around. I don't think he would want to stay with me all day every day either to be honest! He looks forward to his couple of days at nursery, & in our situation, the extra money I bring home, goes towards 'luxuries' that we would probably have to cut back on if I didn't work. Even without the luxuries, I am pretty sure I would still go off to work, I love my 'me' time, away from the house!

If I was a single parent I am sure I would still want to carry on with my job. (although having never been in that situation, I have no idea if I would be able to) But judging from how one of my single mother 'friends' over here lives, I would have no need to work anyway... Brand new 4wd, trips to the hairdresser & nail bar, out at the weekends, & she has just flown off to Cairns for 5 nights - not bad for someone who hasn't worked for the past 2 years is it? (:curse: That's a whole new thread, don't even get me started! lol)

Last edited by charb; Oct 25th 2007 at 10:32 am.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I think the husbands should be kept at home and used purely as love machines and only bought out in public for paying the bills.

Sam, you think just like me
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:39 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Sam, you think just like me
Can you take anything for it ?
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Can you take anything for it ?

Beer?
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:00 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fly Away
In an ideal World, parents would all be able to stay at home or work from home with their little ones. I firmly believe that children who have (whichever) parent as full time carer are more secure in themselves.

It breaks my heart when I see little babies going to childcare because the parents both have to work. I know sometimes it has to happen, but I do wonder about the parents........
So, what exactly is it that you wonder about the parents? Both parents working does not necessarily mean that it has to happen. We could live just fine on only my husband's salary but I chose to work outside the home when my children were young. Do you wonder if that makes us bad parents? Unloving?
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
So, what exactly is it that you wonder about the parents? Both parents working does not necessarily mean that it has to happen. We could live just fine on only my husband's salary but I chose to work outside the home when my children were young. Do you wonder if that makes us bad parents? Unloving?
I'm the same!!! I think it makes us unique - each to their own I say.... There are lots of bad people out there who do lots of bad things - even stay at home parents..... If the worst thing you do to your children is go to work - you're doing okay in my book!

You know what is best for you and yours as I do....

Lau x
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:13 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I tried to burn my bra but I did the whole town instead.
Jeez! You must have ended up with a tw@t like a witches hat!

I am not sure whether it is because we came to Australia where women working is less common than the UK, whether it is because Sam chose not to work for 18 months and got used to doing the housework or whether it is opportunity as I am in the city on a Friday night by virtue of being at work and hence going out is easy / normal but the dynamic of our relationship has changed and I now have at least one leg in the trousers.

In the UK I just about did the majority of the housework and went out less than Sam. These days if I try to cook I end up breaking / burning / scalding something or someone and have to ask where the cleaning stuff is. I do at least do the majority of the ironing - but only as that earns favours.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:18 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

In an ideal World, parents would all be able to stay at home or work from home with their little ones. I firmly believe that children who have (whichever) parent as full time carer are more secure in themselves.

It breaks my heart when I see little babies going to childcare because the parents both have to work. I know sometimes it has to happen, but I do wonder about the parents........

I was a career girl until I had mine and thought I would want to go back to work. Once I had my baby though, I felt differently. My OH would have been happy either way but in certain respects he is very old fashioned - HE wouldn't have sacrificed his career.

We were unlucky in that we had NO family support - no baby sitters, no help with looking after a new baby etc. So the only options were us or childcare.

We took a dip in income and lifestyle in order for me to stay at home and provide a few years of dedicated nuturing. It was our choice and ironically, it has turned out to be the best thing we ever did financially! I now work from home and earn more than I did when I had an employer! My daughter is now at school and I work from home during the day, but I always drop her off and pick her up. I'm always at home if she's off school ill.

I realise that I'm lucky, but I do want other parents to realise that it's possible to combine what is best for your child / children with work.

PP, if you are thinking about having a family, then I would say that you are in an ideal position to organise your life in a similar fashion.
I have to disagree. I stayed home with both my kids until they were at least 2 and if anything they became clingy and didn't mix well. Once they were both in daycare they became independent and learnt how to mix socially with a wide range of people of all ages. I am pleased you were able to do what was best for your children but please don't judge others for doing what they feel is right for theirs.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 1:10 am
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Long and the short of us - I think you can have both and I do. You just have to be really organised and plan well so you can be there when you need to be and want to be.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

I am quite old fashioned - wanted to be a full time housewife and stay at home mom. JTL is very new age - wanted to be a full time househusband and stay at home dad. Luckily there are things only women (well not all women, but most women if they want) can do for their new borns so I got the job, for now anyway.

I think every family is different, and parents, old fashioned or not, know best what they should and could do for their children.

Mrs JTL
Old Oct 26th 2007, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I have to disagree. I stayed home with both my kids until they were at least 2 and if anything they became clingy and didn't mix well. Once they were both in daycare they became independent and learnt how to mix socially with a wide range of people of all ages. I am pleased you were able to do what was best for your children but please don't judge others for doing what they feel is right for theirs.
Sorry if you thought I was judging. I know everyone's circumstances and children are different. However, I see far too many tiny babies (Under 12 months) in childcare 5 days a week, 10 hours a day. This is what upsets me. I know sometimes it is unavoidable, but a lot of the parents I see dropping off these babies are wealthy and I do wonder why they are doing it.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 11:13 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if you thought I was judging. I know everyone's circumstances and children are different. However, I see far too many tiny babies (Under 12 months) in childcare 5 days a week, 10 hours a day. This is what upsets me. I know sometimes it is unavoidable, but a lot of the parents I see dropping off these babies are wealthy and I do wonder why they are doing it.
For their own sanity I would imagine. Not everyone is cut out for staying at home with a child. Some would say they shouldn't have them then but I don't think the child suffers personally and I think they would if they had a bored unhappy mother at home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.