Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are you a member of the 'food police'?

Are you a member of the 'food police'?

Old Oct 1st 2010, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you a member of the 'food police'?

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Yeuck
Well it's about personal taste so in the final analysis I say let people do what they want. They can add ketchup to roast duck if they like. Anything except fool about with single malt. That is unforgivable because you can always buy a blend if you want to pour sugar into it.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

kellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Are you a member of the 'food police'?

I won't allow my son to put ketchup on food like roast dinners or curry's. Mostly everything else is fine. Salt is never allowed until he has tasted it. My husband the Aussie was an auto condimenter until I made him try his food first. If it needs salt then fine. I never add salt to cooking. I also very rarelt add it to my meals. Sometimes a good roast potato is just begging for salt. Unless my chips are from the chippie, I will have vinegar and black pepper rather than salt and vinegar.

Black pepper rocks

Anyone who is not part of my household can do as they please even if it is disgusting
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:45 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kellz
I won't allow my son to put ketchup on food like roast dinners or curry's. Mostly everything else is fine. Salt is never allowed until he has tasted it. My husband the Aussie was an auto condimenter until I made him try his food first. If it needs salt then fine. I never add salt to cooking. I also very rarelt add it to my meals. Sometimes a good roast potato is just begging for salt. Unless my chips are from the chippie, I will have vinegar and black pepper rather than salt and vinegar.

Black pepper rocks

Anyone who is not part of my household can do as they please even if it is disgusting
See I cant have black pepper on my food at all, Mr PP has a big pepper cruncher thingy that grinds down black pepper - I hate it.

Now if anyone comments on my ketchup use I pretend I havent heard them and carry on eating but if they carried on, I would not hesitate to remove salt/pepper/chilli sauce from them to see if they like it.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Which end?
Both if I could but taking it up the arse is not really the norm...(fnar fnar).......

Originally Posted by northernbird
I watched a tv programme not long ago about the sugar in sauces and they showed this one young girl, about 5 as I recall who had had almost all her baby teeth filled or removed due to the 1 bottle of ketchup she consumed every week.
So we're on to condiments are we...hate salt. Have not added it to food since I was a teen.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 11:49 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

I dont put sauce out on the table, if the kids have a easy meal, chicken nuggets and chips etc i let them have sauce but thats it. I would be most aggrieved if a guest put ketchup/sauce on a meal i'd made.
Chips, bbq's and sausage sizzles = sauce but thats it.

I hardly add any salt to my cooking at home, but add salt to my meal at the table, dont like to put salt in the kids food so just add to suit my taste.
The aussies have way too much salt in their diets, whilst a chef here i seasoned food to my taste and the head chef would throw in heaps more, to the extent it tasted like the sea to me at times....

Any one watched the program with Lenny Henry "chef" the salt episode...thats me with salt/sauce im afraid.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 12:00 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Are you a member of the 'food police'?

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I will confess to being a ketchup addict, although on stuff like spag bol/lasagne I dont bother. It is me, ive been like it since I was a kid - I still enjoy my food, it gets eaten.

One of my friends in England used to get really angry and pull this special face she reserved for those moments, like the Queen discovering a shit on her bed, with a pained expression and say 'I feel insulted that I have cooked this beautiful dish for you to put sauce on the edge of the plate'

She then poured heaps of salt on it which personally made me want to gag, added some apple sauce and poceeded to nosh through it while giving me insulted glares every so often, one would think I had killed her dog.

At work, one of the guys makes a dig each time I put sauce on my lunch, he adds heaps of chilli sauce to his food but says 'that is different, its mean to enhance it' and adds salt before he even tastes stuff. Then when he bought a portion of chips from the van, actually added salad cream! when I asked him about it, he said again 'that is meant for chips'

So if the end result is the same and we eat it, enjoy it and crap it out at some point, do we have the right to eat what we like and add what we feel tastes nice to our food?

Do you take the moral high ground and say stuff like 'Ive spent hours slaving over a hot stove and you have insulted me' if someone adds sauce to your cooking? Or do you have some 'acceptable additions' that you think are OK to add but if you dont agree with it then its not the same?

Personally, I get really pissed off when people tell me what I can and cant add to my food, especially when the people concerned pour stuff on their food that makes me retch and I don't say anything.

Rant over!
Well, I've been cooking for the clan for the last fortnight (managed to last out without one run to the take-away, a miracle) and:

1) I put chilli sauce on everything
2) The sprog puts tomato sauce on everything
3) The OH will eat anything

So, in short, it hasn't killed us, nobody has fainted from hunger ... criticisms on the etiquette are few and far between here.

When eating out then I don't tend to add anything to the meal, usually because I have selected whatever the spiciest option is and, in true Englishman in Australia style, asked the kitchen to make it extra spicy