Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are you a member of the 'food police'?

Are you a member of the 'food police'?

Old Sep 30th 2010, 5:16 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Are you a member of the 'food police'?

I will confess to being a ketchup addict, although on stuff like spag bol/lasagne I dont bother. It is me, ive been like it since I was a kid - I still enjoy my food, it gets eaten.

One of my friends in England used to get really angry and pull this special face she reserved for those moments, like the Queen discovering a shit on her bed, with a pained expression and say 'I feel insulted that I have cooked this beautiful dish for you to put sauce on the edge of the plate'

She then poured heaps of salt on it which personally made me want to gag, added some apple sauce and poceeded to nosh through it while giving me insulted glares every so often, one would think I had killed her dog.

At work, one of the guys makes a dig each time I put sauce on my lunch, he adds heaps of chilli sauce to his food but says 'that is different, its mean to enhance it' and adds salt before he even tastes stuff. Then when he bought a portion of chips from the van, actually added salad cream! when I asked him about it, he said again 'that is meant for chips'

So if the end result is the same and we eat it, enjoy it and crap it out at some point, do we have the right to eat what we like and add what we feel tastes nice to our food?

Do you take the moral high ground and say stuff like 'Ive spent hours slaving over a hot stove and you have insulted me' if someone adds sauce to your cooking? Or do you have some 'acceptable additions' that you think are OK to add but if you dont agree with it then its not the same?

Personally, I get really pissed off when people tell me what I can and cant add to my food, especially when the people concerned pour stuff on their food that makes me retch and I don't say anything.

Rant over!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 5:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you a member of the 'food police'?

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I will confess to being a ketchup addict, although on stuff like spag bol/lasagne I dont bother. It is me, ive been like it since I was a kid - I still enjoy my food, it gets eaten.

One of my friends in England used to get really angry and pull this special face she reserved for those moments, like the Queen discovering a shit on her bed, with a pained expression and say 'I feel insulted that I have cooked this beautiful dish for you to put sauce on the edge of the plate'

She then poured heaps of salt on it which personally made me want to gag, added some apple sauce and poceeded to nosh through it while giving me insulted glares every so often, one would think I had killed her dog.

At work, one of the guys makes a dig each time I put sauce on my lunch, he adds heaps of chilli sauce to his food but says 'that is different, its mean to enhance it' and adds salt before he even tastes stuff. Then when he bought a portion of chips from the van, actually added salad cream! when I asked him about it, he said again 'that is meant for chips'

So if the end result is the same and we eat it, enjoy it and crap it out at some point, do we have the right to eat what we like and add what we feel tastes nice to our food?

Do you take the moral high ground and say stuff like 'Ive spent hours slaving over a hot stove and you have insulted me' if someone adds sauce to your cooking? Or do you have some 'acceptable additions' that you think are OK to add but if you dont agree with it then its not the same?

Personally, I get really pissed off when people tell me what I can and cant add to my food, especially when the people concerned pour stuff on their food that makes me retch and I don't say anything.

Rant over!
I used to get very touchy when my cooking was criticised, result being that although back home I used to love cooking, now I hardly ever bother, lost all the confidence in my ability to even cook simple things. Because of that I never comment on what anyone gives me to eat, as I know what it feels like to be on the receiving end. I was never a great cook but I was reasonable enough, just never seemed to cook things "right" for whoever else was eating. I wouldn't have minded if they had just covered it in ketchup or whatever, thats just personal taste,
I also won't eat at work when there are other people around, so on a day shift I usually go for 12 hours without eating anything at all. People seem to have a habit over here of commenting on whatever you happen to be having for lunch (in my opinion - its not something I experienced back home) and that just makes me paranoid and feel like I'm being criticised again. I'd rather go hungry, its less stressful!
I have noticed that when I turn up for my shift with a bag of chips (which I save till everyone's left) I get snide comments like "I suppose you'll drown those in vinegar, thats so stupid" - yet the speed at which the level in my vinegar bottle drops, its clear everyone else is helping themselves to it
I think people should have the right to eat what they like and cover it in what they like, without people peering at it and picking holes in it.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 5:59 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I used to get very touchy when my cooking was criticised, result being that although back home I used to love cooking, now I hardly ever bother, lost all the confidence in my ability to even cook simple things. Because of that I never comment on what anyone gives me to eat, as I know what it feels like to be on the receiving end. I was never a great cook but I was reasonable enough, just never seemed to cook things "right" for whoever else was eating. I wouldn't have minded if they had just covered it in ketchup or whatever, thats just personal taste,
I also won't eat at work when there are other people around, so on a day shift I usually go for 12 hours without eating anything at all. People seem to have a habit over here of commenting on whatever you happen to be having for lunch (in my opinion - its not something I experienced back home) and that just makes me paranoid and feel like I'm being criticised again. I'd rather go hungry, its less stressful!
I have noticed that when I turn up for my shift with a bag of chips (which I save till everyone's left) I get snide comments like "I suppose you'll drown those in vinegar, thats so stupid" - yet the speed at which the level in my vinegar bottle drops, its clear everyone else is helping themselves to it
I think people should have the right to eat what they like and cover it in what they like, without people peering at it and picking holes in it.
OMG that is so true, people here do comment on whatever you are eating and its none of their business.

Thats awful that you dont feel you can eat in front of people

I dont like noisy eaters but as for comment on what sauces people choose to put on their meal, that is wrong. I ordered a toastie yesterday from the van as Ive been really ill this week, dizzy/sick and only fancy savoury stuff. One guy peered over the desk and said 'bread is really bad for you, you should have porridge'

He then looked even more mortified when I put a bit of sauce on it, nosey git - none of his business.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:07 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care what anyone eats I cook and eat well but I'm not without my faults I love sugar and carbohydrates but I go to the gym so I don't store the excess glucose and hopefully wont end up the size of a small whale!

It's those that preach they are so good when in reality they eat nothing of any nutritional value what so ever. One friend in particular goes on all the time about "diets and being healthy" she eats salad as she's on a "diet" but then adds loads of cheese and dressing to it. The same friend feeds her kids nothing but those noodles that you add water to loaded with sodium. I did try and explain the process of digestion, absorption, storage and excretion but since it's based on science and not from some fancy diet book that requires you buy products it can't be true.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:15 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Yes m'lud - I have to confess I am!

It did really wind me up when my ex would empty the sauce bottle on top of absolutely anything! I know other members of the force too. A friend wad telling me how he made Arancini and bought some really pricey cheese for em and his OH just covered them in Tommy K...or sugar solution as I call it!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:16 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I hate it when people eat cereal at their desk.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:20 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I hate it when people eat cereal at their desk.
I hate it when people eat beaver at their desk.....(put that down to envy)...
Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by bcworld
Yes m'lud - I have to confess I am!

It did really wind me up when my ex would empty the sauce bottle on top of absolutely anything! I know other members of the force too. A friend wad telling me how he made Arancini and bought some really pricey cheese for em and his OH just covered them in Tommy K...or sugar solution as I call it!
I dont empty a bottle over my food but I do put ketchup on my meal.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:15 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Rant over!
Yes I am. I confess to being a good cook and cook pretty much everything from scratch. When my late Grandad was visiting I made a lovely Malaysian curry dish he had asked me to make as he spent some time in Malaysia during the war. He then proceeded to lather it in ketchup! I was dumbfounded and highly insulted and I told him as such. For the rest of his visit I made him stuff with chips so he could put as much sauce on as he wanted. Whilst I appreciate it is personal taste I was offended.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 9:02 am
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute

I made a list for another forum saying which are the best sauces in order. We were talking about sauce so I made a master list.
You can put it in your wallet, and when they ask what sauce, you start at the top. If the first one isn't available just get the next one. This helps you keep track because they will try to confuse you with options, and you mess up and get the wrong one.

Honey Mustard
BBQ Sauce
Smokey BBQ Sauce
Ketchup
Honey BBQ Sauce
Chili Hot Sauce
Gravy
Tartar Sauce
Coffee
Horsey Sauce
Regular Mustard
McDonald Ketchup
Ranch Dressing
Relish
Mayonnaise
Italian Dressing
French Mustard
Orange Dressing
Thousand Island

If it gets worse than Thousand Island , just don't put sauce. I don't like to put Thousand Island but my food gets dry and if you don't get a drink because of saving money, it can get really dry.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Icarus
I made a list for another forum saying which are the best sauces in order. We were talking about sauce so I made a master list.
You can put it in your wallet, and when they ask what sauce, you start at the top. If the first one isn't available just get the next one. This helps you keep track because they will try to confuse you with options, and you mess up and get the wrong one.

Honey Mustard
BBQ Sauce
Smokey BBQ Sauce
Ketchup
Honey BBQ Sauce
Chili Hot Sauce
Gravy
Tartar Sauce
Coffee
Horsey Sauce
Regular Mustard
McDonald Ketchup
Ranch Dressing
Relish
Mayonnaise
Italian Dressing
French Mustard
Orange Dressing
Thousand Island

If it gets worse than Thousand Island , just don't put sauce. I don't like to put Thousand Island but my food gets dry and if you don't get a drink because of saving money, it can get really dry.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 9:27 am

Actually at work tomorrow I am tempted to move the salt/pepper and chilli sauce out of the kitchen so when this particular person comes in to comment on MY food, he will look for these items to put on his food and I shall tell him that it has been removed as I think it will spoil his meal that he has to eat but I dont want him to add to, he wont like it.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 9:29 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Actually at work tomorrow I am tempted to move the salt/pepper and chilli sauce out of the kitchen so when this particular person comes in to comment on MY food, he will look for these items to put on his food and I shall tell him that it has been removed as I think it will spoil his meal that he has to eat but I dont want him to add to, he wont like it.
I would never comment on what people put on food unless I cooked it. I don't understand why anyone would want ketchup on anything but fries or toasties but each to their own. If I cook it then it doesn't need anything adding to it not even salt and pepper.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 9:37 am
Living life again!!!!!!!

Falcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe people would be so rude as to comment on what you're eating and what you put on said food!

I put sauces with most foods, the fridge is full of them! And would never dream of commenting or being insulted when people put sauce on their food! So long as what I have cooked is enjoyed, I dont really care how!

You stick with your ketchup and ignore them. I would have to tell them to mind their own!

The thing that does p me off though is when Hubbie eats 1/2 a pack of biccies just before tea!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Falcore
I can't believe people would be so rude as to comment on what you're eating and what you put on said food!

I put sauces with most foods, the fridge is full of them! And would never dream of commenting or being insulted when people put sauce on their food! So long as what I have cooked is enjoyed, I dont really care how!

You stick with your ketchup and ignore them. I would have to tell them to mind their own!

The thing that does p me off though is when Hubbie eats 1/2 a pack of biccies just before tea!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.