Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

You know you are in Australia when...

Old Nov 24th 2011, 3:56 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you are in Australia when...

Originally Posted by ClaireEB
Thanks! I've literally just had the email from my case officer saying my visa application has been finalised and am just waiting for my grant letter. Exciting times! Not so excited about the mozzies though - they torture me!
That's brilliant! Quick, get the champers into the fridge! It's such a great feeling when you are awarded that shiny new visa, enjoy!

And don't worry too much about the mozzies. I found that one year after arrival they don't bother me nearly as much as they did to begin with. One of the first things we did when we moved into our new home was buy and deploy a cheap and easy to use house fumigation kit to destroy any resident mozzie colonies. We then made good use of the fly screens. Other than that I try and stay indoors at dusk - when they seem to be the most agressive, and use repellant if I'm going to be outdoors in the evening for any long periods. Don't worry about buying repellants in the UK for use over here. The best ones are locally made which I suppose makes sense really.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 3:31 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulry
....you see big oil drip patches at traffic lights.

....no-one bats an eyelid about living less than 50 metres from an overhead powerline ...But just look at that vista!

....your back garden is much smaller than the one you had in Britain.
...where you live.

you switch on the Radio and get either The Eagles, something by Queen, or something by Cold Chisel.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 2:54 am
Just Joined

ClaireEB will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by paulry
That's brilliant! Quick, get the champers into the fridge! It's such a great feeling when you are awarded that shiny new visa, enjoy!

And don't worry too much about the mozzies. I found that one year after arrival they don't bother me nearly as much as they did to begin with. One of the first things we did when we moved into our new home was buy and deploy a cheap and easy to use house fumigation kit to destroy any resident mozzie colonies. We then made good use of the fly screens. Other than that I try and stay indoors at dusk - when they seem to be the most agressive, and use repellant if I'm going to be outdoors in the evening for any long periods. Don't worry about buying repellants in the UK for use over here. The best ones are locally made which I suppose makes sense really.
I'm so excited All I have to do now is wait - such a relief.

I've heard some things about eating marmite and garlic and stuff too - don't know how true it is but I'll try anything once!
Old Nov 25th 2011, 4:51 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so excited All I have to do now is wait - such a relief.

I've heard some things about eating marmite and garlic and stuff too - don't know how true it is but I'll try anything once!
Marmite and garlic do you mean together?
Old Nov 25th 2011, 6:27 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
...where you live.

you switch on the Radio and get either The Eagles, something by Queen, or something by Cold Chisel.
Yes! This is another of those "Life On Mars" delights Lost count of the number of times I've thought: "I haven't heard or thought of that record for years and years and years :sunglasses:
Old Nov 25th 2011, 8:45 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
...where you live.

Dunno about Queen and the Eagles... I tend to hear this a lot. Perhaps its living in Steel Town that does it?

Old Nov 25th 2011, 8:46 am
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

You here a screech and then the smell of burning rubber fills your nostrils.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Your kids come running to tell you a kangaroo has just hopped into your driveway....

and leaves a deposit...
Old Nov 25th 2011, 9:17 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Perthbum
You here a screech and then the smell of burning rubber fills your nostrils.
Try some foreplay - or KY.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 9:38 am
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sheene
Try some foreplay - or KY.
Good...very good .
Old Nov 25th 2011, 9:39 am
Banned

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Your kids come running to tell you a kangaroo has just hopped into your driveway....

and leaves a deposit...
And you aint got your gun handy.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 9:41 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

and leaves a deposit...
Are you selling your car? When will the roo pay the balance?
Old Nov 25th 2011, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

ClaireEB will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
No not together. Although I suppose you could if you wanted to!
Old Nov 25th 2011, 12:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Yep, don't you know that trick? Marmite and garlic sandwich each day, keeps the Aussies away
Old Nov 26th 2011, 3:27 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

No not together. Although I suppose you could if you wanted to!
What did you mean then mate?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, don't you know that trick? Marmite and garlic sandwich each day, keeps the Aussies away
keep everyone away I reckon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.