Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

You know you are in Australia when...

You know you are in Australia when...

Old Apr 28th 2011, 10:27 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you are in Australia when...

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

And there's still a spraypainted "Happy New Year" on the tarmac, from 1999.
Graffiti is a major pastime. Thankfully Canberra must have a dedicated graffiti flying squad because the amount of it that appears on the streets overnight is prolific and yet it's all gone by the next evening
Old Apr 29th 2011, 1:11 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

You're not sure if something will fatally attack you when you next weed the garden.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 1:23 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Useless fact #31451: SPAR comes from the German word for save.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 2:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=paulry;9332584]Graffiti is a major pastime. Thankfully Canberra must have a dedicated graffiti flying squad because the amount of it that appears on the streets overnight is prolific and yet it's all gone by the next evening [/QU

Our council is the same, all tidy here then you get your rates bill

The brissie council even pulled trains out of service rush hour cause they had graffiti on them.

Wouldnt mind but its ratepayer money down the drain as the kids just do it again the next week.

Our council also changes the plants in roundabouts 4 times a year, perhaps it hasnt occured to them some plants do the job all year
Old Apr 29th 2011, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

you dont go a day without hearing Jimmy Barnes
Old Apr 29th 2011, 2:25 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: You know you are in Australia when...

YKYIAW You close the windows,doors and curtains when it is hot outside and you open them when your house is cold.

You shout at the kids 'SHUT THE DOOR YOU'RE LETTING ALL THE HOT IN!'

The dog is expert at catching Cockroaches.

You speak freely about the kids having headlice.

You are not Paranoid that your kids hair is unkempt, or that they have 'yesterdays' shirt on because of snobbiness at school.

A teenager is sociable, and apologises for swearing in front of your kids.

You look forward to grey rainy days.

You let on about how much you earn and how much your house cost when asked.

You see a house advertised as 'Deceased Estate'

Previously a hapless gardener, you can now grow ANYTHING! (Eastern Coast)

The weather map on T.V looks normal.

You haven't worn socks for 10 months.

You don't own a coat.

You haven't walked to the shops since...erm well A LONG time!

You treat your dog for ticks and heart worm, not just fleas and worms.

You don't mind mowing the grass in front of your house.

90% of your clothes are faded (and you don't care)

The moon is back to front.

I could go on...but I'll spare ya
Old Apr 29th 2011, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

When your Prime Minister speaks like Julia Gillard . . .
Old Apr 29th 2011, 7:42 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan4kids
YKYIAW You close the windows,doors and curtains when it is hot outside and you open them when your house is cold.

You shout at the kids 'SHUT THE DOOR YOU'RE LETTING ALL THE HOT IN!'

The dog is expert at catching Cockroaches.

You speak freely about the kids having headlice.

You are not Paranoid that your kids hair is unkempt, or that they have 'yesterdays' shirt on because of snobbiness at school.

A teenager is sociable, and apologises for swearing in front of your kids.

You look forward to grey rainy days.

You let on about how much you earn and how much your house cost when asked.

You see a house advertised as 'Deceased Estate'

Previously a hapless gardener, you can now grow ANYTHING! (Eastern Coast)

The weather map on T.V looks normal.

You haven't worn socks for 10 months.

You don't own a coat.

You haven't walked to the shops since...erm well A LONG time!

You treat your dog for ticks and heart worm, not just fleas and worms.

You don't mind mowing the grass in front of your house.

90% of your clothes are faded (and you don't care)

The moon is back to front.

I could go on...but I'll spare ya

Sorry, you'll have to explain that one to me. I thought we only ever see the same side of the moon wherever we are

Great post tho'
Old Apr 29th 2011, 8:06 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
Sorry, you'll have to explain that one to me. I thought we only ever see the same side of the moon wherever we are

Great post tho'
It's upside down as you are looking at it from the other side of the ball. If you are on the equator it looks like it's on it's side (i.e. it is either lit top or bottom not one side or the other).
Old Apr 29th 2011, 2:07 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Here ya go: http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch...mispheres.html, took me a while to work it out myself lol!
Old Apr 29th 2011, 4:57 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan4kids
Here ya go: http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch...mispheres.html, took me a while to work it out myself lol!
Thanks for that. I thought you meant back to front to begin with which isn't possible, but now I know you mean upside down and side to side
Old Apr 29th 2011, 9:03 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

....The emptying water swirls around the plughole in the opposite direction

(Edit: a bit of a cheat - it's a Southern Hemisphere thing actually)

Last edited by paulry; Apr 29th 2011 at 9:05 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

You can walk around barefoot in Coles and no-one cares except British expats.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 9:49 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Alfresco
You can walk around barefoot in Coles and no-one cares except British expats.
And it's so liberating to do my weekly shop in my pajamas
Old Apr 29th 2011, 9:50 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by paulry
....The emptying water swirls around the plughole in the opposite direction

(Edit: a bit of a cheat - it's a Southern Hemisphere thing actually)
I thought that was a myth. I know they demonstrate it in countries that straddle the equator but I'm fairly sure that's slight of hand by the demonstrator.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.