Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

You know you are in Australia when...

You know you are in Australia when...

Old Nov 8th 2011, 12:22 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you are in Australia when...

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Where I live is like waking up in an aviary during summer.

I quite like it though - apart from the 4am Kookabura!
I like it except for that pesky blackbird in the tree outside our bedroom window that starts chirping at half past five in the morning

There's also some mad birds around here. Quite plain looking ones with kind of red tassles hanging off it's neck. We have one that in winter sits with the pinecones for company in the young pine tree in our front garden and shrieks whenever we pass by. Now in summer there's about 5 of them making all sorts of noises and flapping about in our neighbours blue gum tree. Caused a bit of damage too by the looks of it because theres lots of tree clippings on the ground beneath it. Yesterday one was hopping around on the path searching for spiders near my office window then jumped on the guttering turned around and peered down looking at me. I'm enjoying the distraction
Old Nov 10th 2011, 10:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Someone emails you at 2pm on November 11th saying they have poppies for sale on their desk but only if you give them a "gold coin".......
Old Nov 11th 2011, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In Exile
i think its probably more common if you live in a unit with loads of mail boxes out the front, combine this with teh fact that they would have to use/work out the very simple intercom system, and you can guarantee of a carding.
Saw an advert the other week where Auspost is creating special online delivery centers, not sure how the whole thing works but the jist i got was to make it safer for those who especially live inner city, multi unit developments.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
Saw an advert the other week where Auspost is creating special online delivery centers, not sure how the whole thing works but the jist i got was to make it safer for those who especially live inner city, multi unit developments.
Yehp they are heading in the direction of Argos in the UK... with 24 hr Internet delivery... Looking at turning all of their current delivery centers into very fast catelouge and Net pick up points. They can shift any sub 3KG parcel between all the main Cities in less than 24 hours.... Brisbane, Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne they can probably manage in less than 14 hours.

Aus Post has seen the writing on the wall...have increased the delivery capacity or parcel handling for the Posties and will very soon be offering express delivery of all parcels irrespective of size... washing machines included around the country.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:29 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

....Everywhere you look there's apprenticeships, traineeships, opportunities, etc for the young
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:34 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
....Everywhere you look there's apprenticeships, traineeships, opportunities, etc for the young
I'll get me bus pass soon.....
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
I'll get me bus pass soon.....
And I'll be driving the bus
Old Nov 11th 2011, 6:13 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

You know you are in Australia when you see someone sat on a personal folding chair at the bus stop.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 7:25 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Someone emails you at 2pm on November 11th saying they have poppies for sale on their desk but only if you give them a "gold coin".......
Old Nov 11th 2011, 7:28 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
You know you are in Australia when you see someone sat on a personal folding chair at the bus stop.

Seen similar things like that around here too.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 7:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Volulsory : a uniquely Australian merger of voluntary and compulsory
Old Nov 11th 2011, 7:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Volulsory : a uniquely Australian merger of voluntary and compulsory
Old Nov 11th 2011, 7:58 pm

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

You know you are somewhere strange when you see a drive-through off license. You know you are in Australia when you live in a small town and there are 5 of them.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 10:43 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheene
You know you are somewhere strange when you see a drive-through off license. You know you are in Australia when you live in a small town and there are 5 of them.
I've only ever seen one. I always assumed they'd be everywhere. Got a couple of drive through coffee shops. Now that's a bloody good idea.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 7:32 am
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

A women strolls into the supermarket in slippers and a night dress

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.