Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

You know you are in Australia when...

You know you are in Australia when...

Old Nov 2nd 2011, 4:27 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you are in Australia when...

Originally Posted by Grayling
Most surgeries had open appointments like that....I worked in a few

No use telling that to people who just don't want to acknowledge it.
I have to say though, Grayling, that in all the places I've lived (hark at me, lol) that was the only one that had. Perhaps I've just been unlucky

Actually, thinking about it.. the first time we lived in Wales (but this time in mid-Wales) they had open surgeries too - but they didn't do any appointment system alongside it, which was an absolute pain in the arse.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 4:33 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I tried, they were closed

It was the same at our local surgery in York (although not quite as bad as you described, you could usually get an appointment within a couple of days) - the absolute best system I came across was when we lived near Wrexham. There, you could make an appointment with the doctor of your choice or if it was urgent, you could bob along on a morning and wait to see whichever doctor was doing an open surgery that day.
11 hours diiference now. We had the same no appointment needed open surgery about ten years ago. That was good. But these days the demand is simply too great.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 7:45 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I often have to wait a few days or maybe until the next week to see my GP here, generally there is no difference for us in either country. People get sick and injured in both countries so I can't see how a doctor in one country can see more patients than another doctor in a different country ?

Originally Posted by paulry
YKYAIAW.... You telephone your doctor mid afternoon to make an appointment and they fit you in for early-ish the next morning ...Not next week or next month!
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I often have to wait a few days or maybe until the next week to see my GP here, generally there is no difference for us in either country. People get sick and injured in both countries so I can't see how a doctor in one country can see more patients than another doctor in a different country ?
But here you can go see another GP at another surgery.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 8:32 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
The numbers of doctors to patients ratios are probably different

Originally Posted by Wendy
That's also true.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

The numbers of doctors to patients ratios are probably different

That's also true.
My docs also opens Sundays
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 8:53 am
Banned

My docs also opens Sundays
Mine too

They also seem to be more thorough this side.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 9:01 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

They also seem to be more thorough this side.
They order lots of unnecessary tests which you end up paying for. It wastes a lot of resources which should be put into providing decent treatment for those who are actually ill...and which is sadly lacking in much of the public sector.

You can hardly visit a GP here without having a battery of unnecessary blood tests.

Don't kid yourself that this is more thorough...they are protecting their own arses....this is an unfortunate by product of a semi private system and the litigation which such a systen spawns
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Used to get same day appts. with my GP in Derbyshire

Where on earth did you people live to get such a rough deal?
Jesus wept - Righto I'm moving to Derbyshire toute suite..

Can an independent verify this? And does this mean you get locked in in the UK?

I didn't have a doctor - well I never knew who he or she was. Everytime I presented at hospital for an injury I chucked the letter for my GP in the bin...I figured they had better things to do.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Used to get same day appts. with my GP in Derbyshire

Where on earth did you people live to get such a rough deal?
They order lots of unnecessary tests which you end up paying for. It wastes a lot of resources which should be put into providing decent treatment for those who are actually ill...and which is sadly lacking in much of the public sector.

You can hardly visit a GP here without having a battery of unnecessary blood tests.

Don't kid yourself that this is more thorough...they are protecting their own arses....this is an unfortunate by product of a semi private system and the litigation which such a systen spawns
Thanks - I've gone once, for an actual illness which might have been serious and I was glad of the tests - sort of extensive MoT because it had been so long since I had had tests done. Infact it might have been a first.

Having said that, if the tests show up other issues then I'd rather have them done than not done - especially now I have put more mileage on.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 4:16 am
Banned

Originally Posted by scottishcelts

- quite often where I am, it's the same day.

Actually, I saw the doctor yesterday about an increasingly worrying health issue and he told me that if I have the need to see him don't even phone ahead - just walk in! Couldn't get much better than that.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 5:01 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I saw the doctor yesterday about an increasingly worrying health issue and he told me that if I have the need to see him don't even phone ahead - just walk in! Couldn't get much better than that.
I've just been to the GP in Airlie Beach for a coral cut that won't heal and I was in there for a good half hour chatting away. He was a very friendly German fellow . Accustomed to feeling guilty for wasting the 30 seconds you get with a UK quack i kept trying to get away but no... More friendly chat! Wunderbar
Old Nov 4th 2011, 5:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I've just been to the GP in Airlie Beach for a coral cut that won't heal and I was in there for a good half hour chatting away. He was a very friendly German fellow . Accustomed to feeling guilty for wasting the 30 seconds you get with a UK quack i kept trying to get away but no... More friendly chat! Wunderbar

What is it about coral? I too sustained a coral cut a couple of years ago, it took ages to heal
Old Nov 4th 2011, 5:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
My wife is having an op on her shoulder in a few weeks (private but really easy to get appointments). The surgeon is German and has only been here a year (loves it BTW). I know another German doctor who is with The RFDS.

Looks like German doctors like it here - probably because they earn so much money
Old Nov 4th 2011, 6:53 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
My wife is having an op on her shoulder in a few weeks (private but really easy to get appointments). The surgeon is German and has only been here a year (loves it BTW). I know another German doctor who is with The RFDS.

Looks like German doctors like it here - probably because they earn so much money
no, its cos its wunderbar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.