Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

You know you are in Australia when...

You know you are in Australia when...

Old Apr 17th 2011, 1:28 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you are in Australia when...

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
We had a lovely red sky here tonight, with lovely cool breezes coming through the house.
We had one like that last week. The boys and I cycled around Lake Burley Griffin and completed the circuit just as the sun went down. The reds, pinks and purples were especially magnificent as they reflected their colours across the lake. I great way to finish off the day

The cool breezes you can keep to yourself, thanks

Last edited by paulry; Apr 17th 2011 at 1:30 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 9:08 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
We brought our telly over here with us but thanks to a problem to do with a different audio frequency that's used over here the we had no choice but to buy a digital set top box. I bought one for around $30 which when combined with an old external hard drive has turned it into a digital recorder. Just a pity it's not like the old Sky+ recorder with it's live pause, rewind, functions though.
I don't think many Aussies have done that though
Old Apr 17th 2011, 9:12 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mic n mat
When someone knocks on the door and when you open it they quickly say "I'm not trying to sell you anything... I just want to help you" They even acknowledge the sign at that door that says Not Door to Door **** Wits...

Bloody Jehovahs

I think they keep using me as a training ground. Each time one new one and one old one turns up.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 9:14 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

the council barbies are still there and clean even though they may have been used a dozen times that day
Old Apr 17th 2011, 10:16 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
I don't think many Aussies have done that though
Clearly they have a lot more money to spare :nogreenmonsterhonest::longnose:
Old Apr 17th 2011, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

The cool breezes you can keep to yourself, thanks
You are in for a surprise in winter then.

Nice breezy - 5 going up your cycling shorts
Old Apr 18th 2011, 1:04 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jad n rich
You are in for a surprise in winter then.

Nice breezy - 5 going up your cycling shorts

So glad we've brought all our cold weather clothing. Regretting listening to my OH when she said it was silly to consider buying two of those oil-filled radiators that were on sale for just £20 each at Tesco last year. I can see that we'll need them in a month or two.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 2:37 am
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

So glad we've brought all our cold weather clothing. Regretting listening to my OH when she said it was silly to consider buying two of those oil-filled radiators that were on sale for just £20 each at Tesco last year. I can see that we'll need them in a month or two.
Don't be so quick to toss the gear yet. We brought a lot of cold weather clothing to queensland. As we got acclimatized it's surprising what gets pulled out once in a while in the winter months and your living in Canberra...
Old Apr 18th 2011, 2:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Well they used to be about 50 dollars each..go get some.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 2:57 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I paid about that a few years ago in Target
Old Apr 18th 2011, 3:02 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I paid about that a few years ago in Target
There's inflation for you.......
Old Apr 18th 2011, 3:24 am
Banned

Originally Posted by mic n mat
Don't be so quick to toss the gear yet. We brought a lot of cold weather clothing to queensland. As we got acclimatized it's surprising what gets pulled out once in a while in the winter months and your living in Canberra...
We bundled just about everything into the container and it's paid off. Our only regret is we didn't buy a whole lot of extra stuff for years ahead. Quality fleeces and the like.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 3:38 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Yes that was weird too, only came from London via Bangkok and I usually fly back through there. Maybe it was peak mozzie season I have no idea and was genuinely taken aback as it was quite out of the ordinary.
The plane has to be treated and the airline has 2 options.

Either the plane goes in for a serious treatment once every so often which lasts a certain amount of time. If you're the first to fly after that you'll be getting a healthy dose of insectide for 24 hours!

Or they spray before landing.

I'm guessing they mostly go for the peiodic treatment now, but I guess if it's missed for whatever reason they will do the spray to meet the Aus requirements.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

sammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer
You land in Darwin at 2:00am and a chap in white shirt, white shorts and long socks walks through the plane (BOAC 707) spraying an aerosol over all of us (in 1965).
Did we smell that bad then?
Old Apr 18th 2011, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

sammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant future

You have bar-like conversations with Woolies checkout girls. Today, I collected my son from college and we popped into Woollies for a few things on the way home. The chirpy smiling checkout girl says to us "Happy Poets Day", Yeah okay I thought and smiled politely back at her. Next she says "Do you know what poets day is all about?" "...Uh no" I replied. So she shouts at the top of her voice "P**s Off Early - Tomorrow Saturday!!!" and then proceeded to laugh uncontrollably like an Aussie Barbara Windsor. :dropjaw::bemusedlook: x 2
You see blue sky and sunshine!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.