Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

You know you are in Australia when...

You know you are in Australia when...

Old Sep 17th 2011, 11:41 am
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all
Default Re: You know you are in Australia when...

Originally Posted by Bix
Total ballshit.
Reckon you been on the sherbet.
Only my opinion please note
That's my experience in Perth me matey.
Only my opinion after 5 years there
Old Sep 17th 2011, 11:50 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthbum
That's my experience in Perth me matey.
Only my opinion after 5 years there
Fare enough PB I aint in Perth.

My experience after 7 years in QLD is that they obtain whatever licence or ticket that is necessary then totally ignore what was learnt or required and carry on as before. In simple terms this translates to fook safety this way is quicker.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 11:51 am
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bix
Fare enough PB I aint in Perth.

My experience after 7 years in QLD is that they obtain whatever licence or ticket that is necessary then totally ignore what was learnt or required and carry on as before. In simple terms this translates to fook safety this way is quicker.
Don't go mate.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

peterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nice

Not having a go at you, I was talking about the blokes I worked on building sites with I found some of the conversations unacceptable and had to walk out before I got in a fight sometimes.
Both my FIL and people I have worked with have shocked me with their absolutely rampant and transparent racism. Being racist is almost a badge of honour and a pre-requisite in Australia.

Basically, they act as if being a white, born and bred Aussie is all that is acceptable. The trouble is, the media tends to SUPPORT rather than critique that view-point. Some of the statements I've heard on the radio (the most startlingly crap arm of the Aussie media) over the years have amazed me.

Last edited by peterb4; Sep 17th 2011 at 12:05 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterb4
Both my FIL and people I have worked with have shocked me with their absolutely rampant and transparent racism. Being racist is almost a badge of honour and a pre-requisite in Australia.
Not true. It seems that you live and work amongst people you should have never have got involved with. You are not the first. Shouldn't you have been a better judge of character or find more fulfilling work amongst more like-minded people?
Old Sep 17th 2011, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterb4

Basically, they act as if being a white, born and bred Aussie is all that is acceptable. The trouble is, the media tends to SUPPORT rather than critique that view-point. Some of the statements I've heard on the radio (the most startlingly crap arm of the Aussie media) over the years have amazed me.
Another fact from wanki ..... Sorry typo..... Wiki
Old Sep 17th 2011, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

I will be doing my folk ticket soon as to boost my resume standing here, although i am already 'over qualified' for anything i have applied for, i still see that you need a folk license (ticket) to even get a application accepted - minimum.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 2:44 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by deb68
I will be doing my folk ticket soon as to boost my resume standing here, although i am already 'over qualified' for anything i have applied for, i still see that you need a folk license (ticket) to even get a application accepted - minimum.
why do you need a license to sing folk?
Old Sep 17th 2011, 3:14 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
When we left the uk the UK had become EXTREMIST in its PCness,

if you re read my post ... I didnt mention or even imply that I enjoyed talking about other nationalities in racist and disgusting ways

So thats a bit harsh IMHO...
+1

Baroness Uddin seems to skate over the laws of the land due to her genetic background, and no one says a thing. Wouldn't happen here thank god!
Old Sep 17th 2011, 11:49 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, where is this 'UK' of which you speak ? I'm glad it wasn't the one I was in recently.

Originally Posted by eddie007
When we left the uk the UK had become EXTREMIST in its PCness,

if you re read my post ... I didnt mention or even imply that I enjoyed talking about other nationalities in racist and disgusting ways

So thats a bit harsh IMHO...
Old Sep 17th 2011, 11:54 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Having lived here on and off virtually my whole life I am amazed at how things have changed. I would always cringe when I would hear stories about how things had gone in the UK and how it 'would never happen here' only to see it happen here and worse. Now if people want to put their fingers in their ears and say lah lah lah then that is of course their right.

Everything you do is watched, Australians have always in the last 20 years been grossly over-regulated and seem to be of living in a cloud of hesitation and uncertainty, they are in constant fear of breaking any one or more of the myriad of trivial laws under which they labour. Keep to the left and don't you dare wander even an inch, don’t smoke here, don’t speed there, wear a seat belt even in the outback, don’t say anything mildly offensive to or about any minority or pompous self-interest group, I thought it was bad in the UK but PC is far worse in oz.

Only my opinion please note
Old Sep 17th 2011, 11:55 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Wow, where is this 'UK' of which you speak ? I'm glad it wasn't the one I was in recently.
When people can burn poppies and no one dare even talk about it due to their religion you have extremist PC.

I havent seen THAT happen here, and I can confidently predict what would happen if it did.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 12:20 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chris955
The one where my, admittedly American owned company, threatened me with an official warning, if I complained again, about company wide 'affirmative action' days, based on employees race, being inappropriate in a global company.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 12:22 am
Banned

Who wouldn't dare talk about it ? If no-one talked about it how did you hear about it ?
Old Sep 18th 2011, 12:23 am
Banned

So it was an American directive ? I assume the same American company would issue the same directive here ?

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
The one where my, admittedly American owned company, threatened me with an official warning, if I complained again, about company wide 'affirmative action' days, based on employees race, being inappropriate in a global company.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.