Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

You know you are in Australia when...

You know you are in Australia when...

Old Apr 17th 2011, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you are in Australia when...

Originally Posted by Rambi
Maybe something to do with where the plane came from. We didn't get it in Jan.
Yes that was weird too, only came from London via Bangkok and I usually fly back through there. Maybe it was peak mozzie season I have no idea and was genuinely taken aback as it was quite out of the ordinary.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 1:28 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

This is a cracker that I saw recently

YKYAIAW:

The otherwise managerial looking bloke serving behind the post office counter is dressed in formal office type gear accentuated by countless facial piercings and rounded off with ear rings that are literally the shape and size of saucers.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 1:33 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't been to so many exotic places since we left Asia but AFAIK it's the country you are landing in that demands the plane be sprayed. If the departure country has malaria, dengue, etc., I don't blame them. I vaguelly recall it used to happen (probably still does) on Caribbean flights, too.

Back to original topic, I recorded the Parky-Frost and Frost-Parky Sydney interviews a few weeks back (I really wanted to go to them) and last night watched the one where Frost interviewed Parky. I adore Parky, well both of them really They were chatting about his love of Australia and he put forward a theory that he feels so at home because Aussies are so like Northerners.

Maybe that's why I actually like being spoken to by shop staff, and often have a chat with them. I chat to people at bus stops too, and even in lifts People fascinate me, and I learn a lot from them. I can tell you all about the Russian man whose wife is in hospital (we chat in very clumsy German - mine, at least- and he thinks I'm "very kind", obviously so lonely ), what special offers are on at Marrickville metro (the old dear who goes there most mornings to shop), and by chance one day I had a fabulous conversation with a senior Pacific Islander about her trip to Copenhagen for the climate talks...

Go on, do it - get off the internet, where you're happy to talk all day to strangers, and talk to some real people.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 6:33 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Obviously a pick up line, and you missed it.

You could have been in her bed tonight, whispering things like "Price check isle 15"
I'm too old and battle weary for her to be interested in me but maybe the chat up line was intended for Sonny Jim? I'll send him back around there, hopefully she's not p**sed off early!
Old Apr 17th 2011, 6:55 am
Banned

YKYAIAW:

Everyone you meet seems to have at least one TV that they are trying to get rid of.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 7:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

YKWYAIAW

It's April and you put socks on for the first tme this year and start to look longingly at the wood burner. (Granted that could be the UK but not the sock bit).
Old Apr 17th 2011, 7:25 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
YKYAIAW:

Everyone you meet seems to have at least one TV that they are trying to get rid of.
I think with the move to digital most people have decided to upgrade their TV rather than faff with a set-top box.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

You take an afternoon walk in the Autumn Sunshine, On the footpath along the Willow and Elm lined Merri Creek, Past the clean and non vandalized free BBQ's. Where the few and far between fellow strollers that you pass on the footpath adjacent to the babbling creek, all smile and acknowledge your presence with a light greeting as you pass by.

A typically great Autumn day in central Melbourne.

6 k's from the CBD

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 17th 2011 at 7:32 am.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 10:13 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
You take an afternoon walk in the Autumn Sunshine, On the footpath along the Willow and Elm lined Merri Creek, Past the clean and non vandalized free BBQ's. Where the few and far between fellow strollers that you pass on the footpath adjacent to the babbling creek, all smile and acknowledge your presence with a light greeting as you pass by.

A typically great Autumn day in central Melbourne.

6 k's from the CBD

It was a cracking day today
Old Apr 17th 2011, 10:37 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Rambi
I think with the move to digital most people have decided to upgrade their TV rather than faff with a set-top box.
We brought our telly over here with us but thanks to a problem to do with a different audio frequency that's used over here the we had no choice but to buy a digital set top box. I bought one for around $30 which when combined with an old external hard drive has turned it into a digital recorder. Just a pity it's not like the old Sky+ recorder with it's live pause, rewind, functions though.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 10:43 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of checkouts and supermarkets, my old Dad has just spent 4 weeks with us and he said he liked being asked how his day was, having his bags packed and someone making the effort to talk to you.

He said he knows its their job to make the polite small talk but where he lives, the checkout girls are rude, sloppy and insolent and to quote my dad 'I would rather someone make polite small talk than ignore me or at best, treat me like I am an inconvenience like they do in some of the shops near where I live'

Although it was a tad embarrassing when he chatted up the girl in one shop who according to Mr PP, was enjoying it.

I know I am in Australia, I have started to say 'Vitamin' the same way as the Aussies and Mr PP has started to say 'Parsta' as in 'Pasta'.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 10:51 am
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

When someone knocks on the door and when you open it they quickly say "I'm not trying to sell you anything... I just want to help you" They even acknowledge the sign at that door that says Not Door to Door **** Wits...

Or the bulk mail idiot that stops and reads the sign on the mailbox that says no mail other than from aus post and then puts the shit in the box anyways... And when you ask why they did it, they say "I didn't think it meant me..."
Old Apr 17th 2011, 11:16 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

there's always some ****tard in a sports ute up your rear bumper as soon as you set off driving. (Jeez it's getting hard to swear on here!)

Last edited by moneypenny20; Apr 17th 2011 at 11:32 am. Reason: It always has been.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 1:04 pm
Banned

...the just before twilight sun shines bright streams of yellows and golds across the landscape.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 1:11 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
...the just before twilight sun shines bright streams of yellows and golds across the landscape.
We had a lovely red sky here tonight, with lovely cool breezes coming through the house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.