Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

You know you are in Australia when...

You know you are in Australia when...

Old Mar 22nd 2013, 9:18 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you are in Australia when...

....You cook beef mince and it has a lovely meaty aroma
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 5:08 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

...You're driving along the road one day and....
Old Mar 25th 2013, 11:51 am
Banned

....The bacon is like strips of rubber
Old Mar 25th 2013, 12:36 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
...You're driving along the road one day and....
Fark! There'd have been way more bleeping if that was my car.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 7:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

....The bacon is like strips of rubber
You buy the bacon here ? Thought you'd been here long enough to know better!
Old Mar 25th 2013, 7:19 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Sometimes Aldi does 'English style bacon', which is lovely, but that's about it for me, the rest is horrible.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 7:31 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Sometimes Aldi does 'English style bacon', which is lovely, but that's about it for me, the rest is horrible.
Same here, vile stuff. Celtic Koala does Irish bacon sometimes which is unsmoked and lovely, but I wouldn't touch the Aussie stuff.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 9:50 pm
Banned

I was just about tolerating the stuff and then I bought a pack of Castlemaine. Revoltng stuff. What on earth do they do to it? And why would anyone make it like that?

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
I'll look out for the Aldi stuff, thanks.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I was just about tolerating the stuff and then I bought a pack of Castlemaine. Revoltng stuff. What on earth do they do to it? And why would anyone make it like that?

I'll look out for the Aldi stuff, thanks.
I buy bacon from Costco. It is short back? What exactly is wrong with 'Aussie' bacon? I don't buy the fatty stuff or the skinny ones in strips...the terminology escapes me.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 3:09 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I buy bacon from Costco. It is short back? What exactly is wrong with 'Aussie' bacon? I don't buy the fatty stuff or the skinny ones in strips...the terminology escapes me.
In Queensland the bacon is smoked, I don't like the taste. Simple
Old Mar 27th 2013, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Without exception? Should I be concerned in Victoria, or other states? And does each packet in QLD state 'Smoky'. Does this mean that in the UK you only buy for example, Danish, 'Unsmoky'? I assume there is a choice if not between the two types then hundreds?
Old Mar 27th 2013, 6:09 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I really, really, really dislike smoked bacon and that was all we could find where we were in Queensland. I remember the deep joy once when I had a breakfast at The Coffee Club and the bacon was unsmoked.

I did think about demanding to know where they had sourced it, but Himself said I had to sit down and shut up as I was an embarrassment

I should have done though, as next time we were there it was smoked again.

Bacon's fine here in this little bit of NSW, Polly, not that I'm rubbing it in or anything. (Although sometimes it can have a smoky taste, it's quite slight - unless I pander to the kids and buy middle rather than shortcut)
Old Mar 27th 2013, 6:54 pm
Home and Happy

Without exception? Should I be concerned in Victoria, or other states? And does each packet in QLD state 'Smoky'. Does this mean that in the UK you only buy for example, Danish, 'Unsmoky'? I assume there is a choice if not between the two types then hundreds?
Jeez Mr Nitpicky, yes the bacon in Queensland is smoked. If you've not seen this mentioned on the forum before then I'm surprised because the subject is raised frequently. The packets state its smoked and you can see by the colour of the rind, never mind the taste and smell of it!
And yes, in the UK I only ever bought unsmoked. I dislike the smoked taste. Simple as that. I don't care if its British, Danish, Australian or a Norwegian-Japanese experiment, J just didlike the taste so I don't buy bacon here.

Three weeks time however I shall pig out on Asda's Finest Unsmoked
Old Mar 27th 2013, 6:57 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I really, really, really dislike smoked bacon and that was all we could find where we were in Queensland. I remember the deep joy once when I had a breakfast at The Coffee Club and the bacon was unsmoked.

I did think about demanding to know where they had sourced it, but Himself said I had to sit down and shut up as I was an embarrassment

I should have done though, as next time we were there it was smoked again.

Bacon's fine here in this little bit of NSW, Polly, not that I'm rubbing it in or anything. (Although sometimes it can have a smoky taste, it's quite slight - unless I pander to the kids and buy middle rather than shortcut)
I've had unsmoked in Tassis and Victoria and previous discussions on here suggest its a Queensland 'thing'. Occasionally (like every three years!) Aldi has had Victorian bacon, unsmoked, and its been lovely
Old Mar 27th 2013, 10:03 pm
Banned

Normal back bacon. It looks good, pops and crackles an awful lot when cooking it and is tough and dry to eat. Not nice at all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.