Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

You know you are in Australia when...

You know you are in Australia when...

Old Nov 22nd 2011, 10:12 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you are in Australia when...

Your Primary school has a big 'lay-by' into which you pull into for the brief minute or so it takes to unceremoniously dump your school kids out the car whilst still nagging them at 8:30a.m. This is known as 'kiss and drop'......or "It's just 'drop' Mum you're SO embarrassing!"

Old Nov 23rd 2011, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

alexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nice

When your outnumbered in a bar by the number of Pokie Machines...
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 5:35 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Maybe I should get him a blow up cat.
Hey yer in Queensland,any local will do
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 6:40 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

You hear people say "No worries..." many many times a day
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 9:50 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
. I don't think she would have done it from the Coles carpark.
Go down to Timbarra, you'd be surprised
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 10:29 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Kids are pulled out of school early - because there are fires near the farm and they need to help put them out. Laudable? Good job they didn't have the same attitude during the Blitz.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:24 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

your house is littered with bottles of sunscreen all at various ages and stages of use and the kids still 'forget' to wear the &$$% stuff.

you instantly know how to operate an airconditioner's remote control regardless of the make or age.

you can tell if the postie's been by the scooter tracks across your lawn.

you stop at Hungry's or Macca's for frozen cokes on the way home from school.

your favourite fast food is sushi and even the kids can wield chopsticks like pros.

you don't cook in the house during summer.

your teens camp in a barn and know the python sleeping in the rafters is ok because its not a constrictor

your kid spends the week at GC schoolies and you're reasonably happy about it thinking at least it wasn't Bali.

you wake up at dawn and get up before it gets too hot.

you don't curl your fingers around the recessed edges of the wheelie bins when moving them.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:28 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
your house is littered with bottles of sunscreen all at various ages and stages of use and the kids still 'forget' to wear the &$$% stuff.

you instantly know how to operate an airconditioner's remote control regardless of the make or age.

you can tell if the postie's been by the scooter tracks across your lawn.

you stop at Hungry's or Macca's for frozen cokes on the way home from school.

your favourite fast food is sushi and even the kids can wield chopsticks like pros.

you don't cook in the house during summer.

your teens camp in a barn and know the python sleeping in the rafters is ok because its not a constrictor

your kid spends the week at GC schoolies and you're reasonably happy about it thinking at least it wasn't Bali.

you wake up at dawn and get up before it gets too hot.

you don't curl your fingers around the recessed edges of the wheelie bins when moving them.
Yep, that's Queensland.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:33 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

you're really pleased that we got the Commonwealth Games
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 6:34 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Second hand bookshops charge more than the initial (Uk) purchase price and Bridget Jones's Diary will be put in the 'Classics' section.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 2:45 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Second hand bookshops charge more than the initial (Uk) purchase price and Bridget Jones's Diary will be put in the 'Classics' section.
you've been here long enough....shop assistants remember you and start off by offering a discount.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

ClaireEB will become famous soon enough

I am moving to Oz next year and I don't know whether this thread makes me feel more or less nervous! haha.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 3:33 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClaireEB
I am moving to Oz next year and I don't know whether this thread makes me feel more or less nervous! haha.

Don't worry Claire, life in Australia is full of double-takes and jaw-dropping-moments but they're part of what makes this country an endearing and overall pleasant place to be. I'm sure you'll love it here

BTW, welcome to BE
Old Nov 24th 2011, 3:39 pm
Banned

...You see at the shops that bananas have suddenly gone down in price to $2.99 a kilo so you buy a huge bag of them only to return home and discover that your OH has done the same thing
Old Nov 24th 2011, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

ClaireEB will become famous soon enough

Thanks! I've literally just had the email from my case officer saying my visa application has been finalised and am just waiting for my grant letter. Exciting times! Not so excited about the mozzies though - they torture me!

Originally Posted by paulry

Don't worry Claire, life in Australia is full of double-takes and jaw-dropping-moments but they're part of what makes this country an endearing and overall pleasant place to be. I'm sure you'll love it here

BTW, welcome to BE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.