Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

You know you are in Australia when...

You know you are in Australia when...

Old Sep 11th 2011, 10:58 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you are in Australia when...

Originally Posted by Pollyana
They say "the pub is shutting at 9pm cos no-one wants to drink after that!
I've been in pubs in the UK that do that
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:26 pm
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rasen78
No you haven't where lass?
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:27 pm
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

They say "the pub is shutting at 9pm cos no-one wants to drink after that!
Please refer to post 610 Pollyana
Old Sep 11th 2011, 5:25 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthbum
No you haven't where lass?
The odd country pub where we were the only customers. I used to work in a pub where I would close up early cos no-one came in. In the back-end of nowhere. Locals would only come in at the weekend. During the week we were reliant on passing trade, however, no-one wanted to drive cos of the drink-drive laws etc.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 8:12 pm
Banned

The odd country pub where we were the only customers. I used to work in a pub where I would close up early cos no-one came in. In the back-end of nowhere. Locals would only come in at the weekend. During the week we were reliant on passing trade, however, no-one wanted to drive cos of the drink-drive laws etc.
Fair enough, but in Perth it is pubs smack in thye city centre that close so early, not out in the outback.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 8:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Please refer to post 610 Pollyana
I know, but as I was in a full pub that announced it was closing at that moment (9pm) it seemed appropriate to post it again
Old Sep 11th 2011, 8:36 pm
Banned

I know, but as I was in a full pub that announced it was closing at that moment (9pm) it seemed appropriate to post it again
Old Sep 11th 2011, 9:20 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

I have too. Not sure if they still do it but a lot of pubs in the City of London used to close early on weekdays and they'd be closed on the weekend.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 9:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rambi
I have too. Not sure if they still do it but a lot of pubs in the City of London used to close early on weekdays and they'd be closed on the weekend.
I have never heard of or been in a pub that closed before the normal hours in the UK, and I visit a lot.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 9:26 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

I have never heard of or been in a pub that closed before the normal hours in the UK, and I visit a lot.
Doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I've never been gay but I know that there are gay people in this world.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 9:34 pm
Banned

Doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I've never been gay but I know that there are gay people in this world.
Whats pubs though? when and what pub I will report them, never heard of it happening and if it did it is disgusting.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 9:41 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it is possible to find a pub that closed early because of being empty maybe but you would have to be very lucky to have encountered it in a pub that wasn't out in the sticks.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 9:42 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Whats pubs though? when and what pub I will report them, never heard of it happening and if it did it is disgusting.
As I said earlier, I don't know if they still do it but when I moved to London there were quite a lot of City of London pubs that used to close early. It surprised me at the time but seemed to be common knowledge with the locals. The City could be a bit of a ghost town at night and weekends as most peeps used to go home or to the West End for their evening entertainment.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 2:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

As I said earlier, I don't know if they still do it but when I moved to London there were quite a lot of City of London pubs that used to close early. It surprised me at the time but seemed to be common knowledge with the locals. The City could be a bit of a ghost town at night and weekends as most peeps used to go home or to the West End for their evening entertainment.
They do. The ones that do open on a weekend, close on late Saturday afternoon and don't open on Sunday. Around Liverpool Street station it's business as usual.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 2:11 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Only the ones slap bang in the financial district. We used to drink in the Walrus and Carpenter on Lower Thames St and on monday to thursday it closed around 9.30 pm. Didn't open at the weekends but there was no one around but the odd Italian tourist and security guard.

Last visit to Sydney in January I stayed at the Four Seasons in the touristy Rocks area - couldn't find anywhere to drink after 9.30 pm.

That's one good thing about Cairns - there's always a feral pub open till midnight or later if you dare go in....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.