Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are you happy with your 'lot'?

Are you happy with your 'lot'?

Old Jun 13th 2010, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you happy with your 'lot'?

Originally Posted by brummy
i know a chap who is worth billions,still has his share of strife though,

i think lifes what you make it,money dont bring you happiness,with or without the dosh,your still the same person...
That is true to an extent. I don't think millions of $ make you happy, but not having money worries does take away stress.

Which is why I always wonder about corruption, when I see multi-millionaires getting caught for trying to scam an extra few million. I don't get that, are they not happy with their 100's of millions already. Why risk everything for a few more million?

JTL
Old Jun 13th 2010, 5:09 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
That is true to an extent. I don't think millions of $ make you happy, but not having money worries does take away stress.

Which is why I always wonder about corruption, when I see multi-millionaires getting caught for trying to scam an extra few million. I don't get that, are they not happy with their 100's of millions already. Why risk everything for a few more million?

JTL
I think people who make millions (as opposed to inherit / win it) have the type of personalities that make them take risks. They thrive on it.

Some research has been done on the effect of money on happiness. They reckon that after a certain amount of income (about £20,000 p.a) the amount of happiness you achieve from money is very slight. In other words, if you have enough for the basics, food and shelter,your happiness does not go up the more you earn. It does in the short term (pay rise, lottery win) but you quickly adjust.

Food for thought

Last edited by Kapri; Jun 13th 2010 at 5:10 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jun 13th 2010, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

billabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to all

I have a life threatening illness and my finances have gone down the gurgler because of it.

BUT still I am normally very happy with my lot (a LOT of people much worse off) and so I try to look on the positive side of life.

Last few weeks I have felt very sad though and can’t seem to snap out of it.

I am sure I will perk up again soon – must be the cold weather. Either that or the shock of finding myself on the cusp of turning 40

In the 1970’s/80’s there use to be a show on UK TV called “Life Begins at 40” and I remember as a child thinking that 40 seemed soooooooooooooo old.

Never mind me - just being nostalgic for the flush of youth.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:17 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Oh boo hoo

Grow up and face reality

or have you already
You have no concept of reality from what I can see of it.

Read the other comments in the thread and see what other people thought of your "choose to be poor" comment and judge then who has a better grip on reality.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:28 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
......... I always wonder about corruption, when I see multi-millionaires getting caught for trying to scam an extra few million. I don't get that, are they not happy with their 100's of millions already. Why risk everything for a few more million?

JTL
Greed and power usually.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:16 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
And some struggle and do everything they can to get a step up but outside influences jump in and smack them back down again but they still don't whinge but they've most definitely not chosen to be where they are at that point.
this is me to a tee ... but i dont think i whinge ... much

in fact i could write a book about it ...

but im happy that my kids are healthy, im happy that i have a good job and an excellent boss, im happy that i have a lovely partner. id like to have my own house, and id like to be in aus, but it aint the end of the world

i have no money, but im rich in other aspects of my life, and thats worth more than anything else.

so yes, im happy with my lot
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

aston is an unknown quantity at this point

so,no one so far has the perfect life?i remember at one time lots of would of given everything just to be in aus,so once you get that,its on to the next thing eh?

at what part of your life do you turn round and say?

"i am happy with my lot"

Last edited by aston; Jun 13th 2010 at 11:41 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:42 pm
ABCDiamond

so,no one so far has the perfect life?

at what part of your life do you turn round and say?

"i am happy with my lot"
That varies... A poor man with no shoes, met a man with no feet, and decided to be happy with his lot.

Another man with no shoes, met a man with no feet, and asked if he could have his shoes...

Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That varies... A poor man with no shoes, met a man with no feet, and decided to be happy with his lot.

Another man with no shoes, met a man with no feet, and asked if he could have his shoes...
so,were never going to be happy with our lot(as average people),perhaps thats why people who have everything they want always go nuts...imagine having nothing to strive for?no fantasies,would you be a walking dead?
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:49 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

so,were never going to be happy with our lot(as average people),perhaps thats why people who have everything they want always go nuts...imagine having nothing to strive for?no fantasies,would you be a walking dead?
No hell below us, above us only sky ...
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DeadVim
No hell below us, above us only sky ...
imagine that?
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:53 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Very good

I think we need to remind ourselves there's alway someone worse off. It's all about relativity and recognising no one whether rich or poor is ever 100%happy with their lot as there are good days and bad days and we almost always want to better ourselves in one way or another.

Such is life I reckon
Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:01 am
ABCDiamond

With age comes change. You can look back at your experiences, both good and bad, and yes, you may be able to say that you are happy with how things turned out.

There can come a time, when you need no longer strive for something in the future, and you decide to live in the moment, and enjoy what you have now.

A walking dead ? or Contentment with life ?

I know I have changed, I always worked to get somewhere in the future, letting life pass by while I aimed for that elusive future, always wanting a bit more than I achieved.
But one day I woke up, and decided to enjoy life now, instead of waiting for the future.

I was actually happy with my lot even before I changed, but I suppose ....

This is getting too complex to explain... I know what I mean

Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:10 am

With age comes change. You can look back at your experiences, both good and bad, and yes, you may be able to say that you are happy with how things turned out.

There can come a time, when you need no longer strive for something in the future, and you decide to live in the moment, and enjoy what you have now.

A walking dead ? or Contentment with life ?

I know I have changed, I always worked to get somewhere in the future, letting life pass by while I aimed for that elusive future, always wanting a bit more than I achieved.
But one day I woke up, and decided to enjoy life now, instead of waiting for the future.

I was actually happy with my lot even before I changed, but I suppose ....

This is getting too complex to explain... I know what I mean
I hear you mate and it's a great way of coming to terms with where you are in life
Old Jun 14th 2010, 3:08 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
You have no concept of reality from what I can see of it.

Read the other comments in the thread and see what other people thought of your "choose to be poor" comment and judge then who has a better grip on reality.
I know reality better than many. Reality is life is tough, well suck it up, there is still a choice and my point is stop whinging about being stuck in poverty when you have a choice to get out of it but refrain. I have no sympathy or compassion for people in the longer term if they persist to take the easy option. Of course I have empathy in the short term but you can only take a horse to water.

Life is full of losers who use excuses as rational reasoning.

If a person takes exception to a truthful statement more them the fool.

The sacrifices and work I have done to move ahead gives me every right to make my statement. It gets proved every day and even more so when I read posts such as yours and money penny.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.