Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are you happy with your 'lot'?

Are you happy with your 'lot'?

Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:13 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you happy with your 'lot'?

Originally Posted by petensue
That must have been so funnyWhen we were last at Caversham there was a cockie who would not talk to people who came up to him but as soon as you walked away it would shout hello!

Milk and no sugar pleaseSue.
Ive just hung out the washing in the garden and Mr PP has made the tea (hands Sue a hot cuppa)

He is watching last nights England game on replay

I think the wild cockies get used to the public talking to them, corellas really do speak rather well, it was lovely hearing them talk in the car park.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Ive just hung out the washing in the garden and Mr PP has made the tea (hands Sue a hot cuppa)

He is watching last nights England game on replay

I think the wild cockies get used to the public talking to them, corellas really do speak rather well, it was lovely hearing them talk in the car park.
Mr PP makes a good cup of tea

We watched the England match this morning without knowing the score don't know if I will bother again thoughSue.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:20 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

We watched the England match this morning without knowing the score don't know if I will bother again thoughSue.
Im leaving him to it, he is quite happy curled up on the sofa reading the paper, drinking his tea and watching the footy - which he manages to do all at once
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:24 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'll stick with the 'highlights' ... I rolled out of bed at civilised time of 10:30 this morning, that is the way to start a Sunday ...

I might might head into town later to catch the Socceroos either in a cold concrete 'public space' or get in early to a packed bar to empty my wallet and wait for them to stop serving booze for no discernable reason.

Alternatively I may hunker down at home in front of the fire, get some kip and ease into Her Maj's Birthday. Meh, I'll catch the highlights again I think ...
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

I think some people will always be miserable.. doesn't matter what they have or what they have achieved, there is always something they haven't got and it makes them miserable. Then there are those people who have very little and are happy. Then there are most people, who are happy some of the time and unhappy at other times. All they need to do is tilt the seesaw so that they are happy most of the time. Brummy and PP you have both had a shock which has set your seesaw to 'contented' as you know what you could have lost. Most people take what they have for granted and it doesn't take much to tip them to 'discontented'.

I am happy with most areas of my life. I worked hard to get what I have and have had good and bad luck along the way. The worse the luck, the harder I work to overcome it.

I am enjoying Australia and worked dammed hard to get here. Hopefully that makes me appreciate it more. There are things which aren't as good as the Uk and things which are better. I don't let the things that are worse get me down.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Fly Away
I think some people will always be miserable.. doesn't matter what they have or what they have achieved, there is always something they haven't got and it makes them miserable. Then there are those people who have very little and are happy. Then there are most people, who are happy some of the time and unhappy at other times. All they need to do is tilt the seesaw so that they are happy most of the time. Brummy and PP you have both had a shock which has set your seesaw to 'contented' as you know what you could have lost. Most people take what they have for granted and it doesn't take much to tip them to 'discontented'.

I am happy with most areas of my life. I worked hard to get what I have and have had good and bad luck along the way. The worse the luck, the harder I work to overcome it.

I am enjoying Australia and worked dammed hard to get here. Hopefully that makes me appreciate it more. There are things which aren't as good as the Uk and things which are better. I don't let the things that are worse get me down.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'm actually fairly content with my lot at present (which may come as a shock to a few people)
I've got somewhere reasonable to live, got a great job, good wage, great bunch of friends. I may not particularly like the country I'm living in, but when I add up the bits of my life that I'm happy with, on balance things are pretty good.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 7:15 am
Banned

Noreturn is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Are you happy with your 'lot'?

I'm not in the yookay, nothing better in life than that.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 8:39 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Complete and utter ****ing bullshit. I haven't seen a more arrogant post on here in a bloody long while.
what has the world come to when I agree with the creature?

That's so true. Like a lot of people I'm not happy but not unhappy, just a little of both. My life is what it is and I accept that there are some really good things in my life but there are also some really crap things.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 8:41 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Complete and utter ****ing bullshit. I haven't seen a more arrogant post on here in a bloody long while.
Oh boo hoo

Grow up and face reality

or have you already
Old Jun 13th 2010, 8:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
No, people are poor because they choose that option, For every person I have encountered who claims poverty each of them had an opportunity to rise from it. However they chose to remain a battler.

That is not to say I am judgemental of their choice, but I do resent people claiming they don't have a choice in life. There is, its just whether people take it.

Couldn't agree more. Not read such cobblers in ages. Only someone with no money worries now or previously could come out with such crap. Oh I agree with the choices and whether you take them or not but to say people choose to struggle when they don't have to is beyond arrogance.

If GG had one clue as to how the majority of people live their lives that comment wouldn't even have entered his head, let alone voice it.

Gobsmacked doesn't come close :curse:
Old Jun 13th 2010, 8:48 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Someone much wiser than me (I wish I could remember their name!) once said this:

There are two things you must do to deal with a problem.

First and foremost you MUST indentify/admit that there is a problem.

Once you have done that you MUST either learn to live with it, or, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Alistair.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:17 am
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
No, people are poor because they choose that option, For every person I have encountered who claims poverty each of them had an opportunity to rise from it. However they chose to remain a battler.

That is not to say I am judgemental of their choice, but I do resent people claiming they don't have a choice in life. There is, its just whether people take it.

Just curious do you work for the ATO?
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20

Couldn't agree more. Not read such cobblers in ages. Only someone with no money worries now or previously could come out with such crap. Oh I agree with the choices and whether you take them or not but to say people choose to struggle when they don't have to is beyond arrogance.

If GG had one clue as to how the majority of people live their lives that comment wouldn't even have entered his head, let alone voice it.

Gobsmacked doesn't come close :curse:
I wouldn't make the argument so personal.

I've been in every situation, i.e. I was skint and am now quite comfortable, and I've been everything in between. I'd say you've got to take the opportunities in front of you, or if they are not in front of you, then go looking for them.

What I think GG was getting at is people who expect money to be thrown at them rather than do the hard work.

I think thats a fair enough comment for GG to make, so why are you gobsmacked?

JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Jun 13th 2010 at 11:57 am.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 12:05 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I wouldn't make the argument so personal.

I've been in every situation, i.e. I was skint and am now quite comfortable, and I've been everything in between. I'd say you've got to take the opportunities in front of you, or if they are not in front of you, then go looking for them.

What I think GG was getting at is people who expect money to be thrown at them rather than do the hard work.

I think thats a fair enough comment for GG to make, so why are you gobsmacked?

JTL
No, people are poor because they choose that option
That line leaves me gob smacked. Had he said about people expecting money to be thrown at them then I'd have to agree. However he didn't. You read it one way, I read it another, simple.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.