Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are you 'Fulfilled'....?

Are you 'Fulfilled'....?

Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:09 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are you 'Fulfilled'....?

So what does being 'fulfilled' mean to you and are you?

Do you expect your marriage to fulfil you? Does your partner do it?

Or are you expecting to find 'fulfilment' (whatever the heck that is) within yourself and don't expect it to come from anywhere else?

This is the second instalment in TP's Deep and Meaningful
TM Life Questions series.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you 'Fulfilled'....?

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom

Or are you expecting to find 'fulfilment' (whatever the heck that is) within yourself and don't expect it to come from anywhere else?

Ever the philisophical! Are you using us on BE for some type of research???
Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Reedy
Ever the philisophical! Are you using us on BE for some type of research???
Well it's a good place to gather opinion from a lot of people...

But it's not for my Philosophy degree... I've got too much to do than stand around having deep and meaningful's that go round and round and no-one ever gets anywhere.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:16 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest (briefly ) I don't really know what fulfillment is. I am happy within myself, happy with hubby and happy with our lives. Does that mean I'm fulfilled Or is it more than that.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20
To be honest (briefly ) I don't really know what fulfillment is. I am happy within myself, happy with hubby and happy with our lives. Does that mean I'm fulfilled Or is it more than that.
If it's not more than that to you, Pen, then that's all it is.

This is what I mean.. everyone's got a different angle on it. Some people don't even think about it or what it means... others are searching for it, when really they're should be looking at themselves...

I have deep suspicions that it's all bollocks.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:22 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I mean.. everyone's got a different angle on it. Some people don't even think about it or what it means... others are searching for it, when really they're should be looking at themselves...

It's one of those words bandied about by psychologists just to stuff everyone up because everyone starts thinking more than they need (or want) about their lives. They then come away possibly dissatisfied with their lives and then go to an "expert" and hand over all their money
Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:22 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh goody, a meaty philosophical question

My fulfilment fundamentally comes from within, not to say external factors can't contribute to a mindset but if you strip away all the transitory stuff (money, gadgets, promotion, whatever) then you've got to be happy in yerself first of all.

Without wishing to sound like a New Age Ponce, here is what I have learnt having been through depression and the usual issues of having too much money and an 'addictive personality' ...

I try to be grateful for what I have, I try to live in the moment but be mindful of the future, I try to appreciate the details of everyday life, I try to give something back, I try not to buy into marketing bullshit, I try everything in moderation (try...), I try to tell the truth and be true to myself, always.

Someone once said that happiness (or fulfilment if you want a longer-lasting term) comes when what you believe, what you say and what you do are in harmony and I like that idea a lot.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:24 pm

Top answer Vim...

Thanks.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:26 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

My opinion only, so please don't jump on me for it...Anyone who expects to be fulfilled by someone else is a fool. Nobody can be responsible for your fulfillment any more than they can be responsible for any other part of your emotional well being.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:27 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

It's all about self fullfilment, driven by inner expectations and being realistic about life.

Not sure if it's static, I think the older and wiser you get and the more you know yourself, the more you want out of life. So long as expectations are realistic then you can fullfil them. I think
Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:39 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

fulfilment is like happiness always fleeting as we are always growing and striving!
Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by asher
fulfilment is like happiness always fleeting as we are always growing and striving!
Top answers and opinion folks.

Keep it coming.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:53 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

I am content with my lot in life and pleased with my choices. Therefore am I fulfilled ? Yes I think so. Not really thought about it as such but there are times when the shadow of doubt comes across but then thats down to one major thing that happened in my life. I have had to put my demons to rest and I am at peace with myself now and that feeling of acceptance has changed everything for me. As Dorothy said and I agree, it has to come from within yourself.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

samnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
I dont think I will ever be fulfilled. If I ever got to that stage it would mean all my dreams and hopes would be over. I think you need to keep looking for more and more. I thought one I had children my life would be fulfilled, then it was once I got back to work my life would be fulfilled, then it was finding someone I wanted to be with for the rest of my life my life would be fulfilled, then emigrating to Australia my life would be fulfilled. Now I am heading for my next goal. What a boreing life it would be if I had reached fulfilment at this early stage, Ive got another 50 years I hope ahead of me to keep on reaching for better and better.
Sam x
Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by samnsam
I dont think I will ever be fulfilled. If I ever got to that stage it would mean all my dreams and hopes would be over. I think you need to keep looking for more and more. I thought one I had children my life would be fulfilled, then it was once I got back to work my life would be fulfilled, then it was finding someone I wanted to be with for the rest of my life my life would be fulfilled, then emigrating to Australia my life would be fulfilled. Now I am heading for my next goal. What a boreing life it would be if I had reached fulfilment at this early stage, Ive got another 50 years I hope ahead of me to keep on reaching for better and better.
Sam x
Nice answer Sam. And I agree.. if it was all as simple as just having and being....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.