Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are you comfortable singing the Australian National Anthem

Are you comfortable singing the Australian National Anthem

Old Sep 29th 2016, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are you comfortable singing the Australian National Anthem

Just wondered if people are comfortable singing the Australian national anthem at big events. I think the first time I did it with gusto was when Australia first qualified for the World Cup back when El Tel was in charge of the Australian squad at a packed out for the first time for a football match at the MCG versus Iran..... I got the tingles with the whole kit and caboodle. So it took me 17 years to really get into it naturally... probably had sung it before but only as a courtesy.

That day actually made me feel very comfortable with the ever increasing Australian assimilation that was obviously happening to me. Since then I've had no self doubt about standing singing the Aus anthem at any prelude to a big event. Can even get out "girt by sea"

So how do you go with the Aus Anthem ?
Old Sep 29th 2016, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you comfortable singing the Australian National Anthem

I don't like the Australian anthem. It sounds more like a sales pitch than song to inspire Australians. I don't sing it but I do stand for it at events.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I don't like the Australian anthem. It sounds more like a sales pitch than song to inspire Australians. I don't sing it but I do stand for it at events.
Wow. We agree. Pick me up off the floor.

Its a rather uninspiring anthem. As much as I support Australia at sport, I cannot sing the anthem.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I would, but I would just change the word 'young' to 'old'.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 11:28 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been a great fan of an anthem, they all seem at bit jingoistic and 'company song' to me. Something from a past age designed to try and force a group mentality - usually directly opposed to how people actually think.

As for the australian one? Couldn't say I know the words at all - excepting that horrible "girt by sea" line that should really have been their clue they needed a rewrite.

Should replace it by "Always look on the bright side of life".
Old Sep 29th 2016, 11:53 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I belt it out with pride (as I did at the recent Wallabies v Argentina match - although I wasn't supporting them!) - as I do with the anthems of the other 2 countries that I'm involved with. And when I get my Irish passport, I'll belt out theirs

Granted, the Aussie anthem (as with the UK and RSA ones) is not very good - and the vast majority of anthems are the same - but that's not the point. It's about patriotism and pride and respect for your nation - and at a time when these values are under threat from the PC brigade - anthems have special significance

The only 2 anthems that I would say are good 'songs' are the US and French anthems

Last edited by Amazulu; Sep 29th 2016 at 11:56 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 12:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yes, I belt it out with pride (as I did at the recent Wallabies v Argentina match - although I wasn't supporting them!) - as I do with the anthems of the other 2 countries that I'm involved with. And when I get my Irish passport, I'll belt out theirs

Granted, the Aussie anthem (as with the UK and RSA ones) is not very good - and the vast majority of anthems are the same - but that's not the point. It's about patriotism and pride and respect for your nation - and at a time when these values are under threat from the PC brigade - anthems have special significance

The only 2 anthems that I would say are good 'songs' are the US and French anthems
French is a goody. I sing that just because I like melody.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

The Russian one is pretty good as well..... although the words are a bid iffy.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 12:59 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I sing Advance Australia Fair with pride. I'll do the same with God Save The Queen over here if the occasion arises. We used to sing it before every primary school assembly in the late 60's, so I already know the words

My son was chosen the sing the Oz national anthem at his school sports day, when he was 7. I was quite the proud mum as he stood at the microphone and began to sing in his pipey little voice -

Australians all let us rejoice
For we are one two free...

Old Sep 30th 2016, 2:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll stand but I won't sing, however I rarely sang the UK one because I don't sing in public (unless I'm in Woolies). I think they're both crap songs. Now if the UK had Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory as the NA I'd happily sing them (whilst having a quiet sob). If anyone told me I had to put my hand on my heart whilst singing I'd tell them to shove it.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 5:12 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I belt it out at The Gabba ...

"I tawt I tor a puddy cat a cweeping up on me ..."

It sets the tone nicely for the day ahead.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

IrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Same here but this one does,

Old Oct 1st 2016, 10:00 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

I like the French one too. The Italian one isn't bad either. Got to hear both at the Euro 2000 final which was awesome, especially for a neutral spectator.

As for the Yank one, I think the words are a bit funny, though not as bad as us blabbering about the Queen (can we please update the words to get rid of her?). Plus Americans appear to be heading towards orgasm territory quicker than during sex during their anthem ceremonies...
Old Oct 4th 2016, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I like singing the Spanish, San Marino, Bosnia/Herzegovina and Kosovo anthems.

I was pleased when we changed from the British anthem to our own it must be said and I do sing it with pride because it's our own and it is more about the people and the land than a ruling monarch.

The German anthem is a stirring one too.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 12:38 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

The Soviet (Russian) anthem is probably the best of the bunch. Really stirring, even for non-Russians.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.