Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are you clean and tidy in your home?

Are you clean and tidy in your home?

Old Jun 12th 2011, 7:30 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you clean and tidy in your home?

Originally Posted by DeadVim
We are somewhere in the middle, not spotless but not stinky either.

I am largely in charge of housework at the moment so it's in my interest to keep on top of it.

To this end I have just finished chucking out or archiving the mountain of PC gear I had kicking around.

Sometimes you have to ask yourself the question, "Will I really need a serial mouse in the future?".

i largely don't understand the need for everything to be completely spotless, so that the place looks like a show home. My house is reasonably tidy at the moment, but that may change, depending on what I'm doing. I'll just live with it if I'm doing something that needs it to be untidy for a while. I've never really understood people who spend hours each week with a toothbrush cleaning the tiles in the bathroom. It may be a reaction to my mother who is a clean freak - Everything had to be pristine!

I guess it may be harder when there's kids in the equation though, but I am largely of the opinion that there are better, more interesting things to be doing with my life than cleaning stuff. When I'm lying on my deathbed, I can pretty much guarantee that I won't be saying "I really wish I'd spent more time cleaning the bathroom grout..."

The same for ironing. Why does it all need to be done at once? My mum irons everything from bedsheets to underwear WHY??? I just grab a shirt from the cupboard, iron it, put it on, head to work/the pub. Job done. Time spent ironing, maybe 1-2 minutes...

S
Old Jun 12th 2011, 8:05 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
i largely don't understand the need for everything to be completely spotless, so that the place looks like a show home. My house is reasonably tidy at the moment, but that may change, depending on what I'm doing. I'll just live with it if I'm doing something that needs it to be untidy for a while. I've never really understood people who spend hours each week with a toothbrush cleaning the tiles in the bathroom. It may be a reaction to my mother who is a clean freak - Everything had to be pristine!

I guess it may be harder when there's kids in the equation though, but I am largely of the opinion that there are better, more interesting things to be doing with my life than cleaning stuff. When I'm lying on my deathbed, I can pretty much guarantee that I won't be saying "I really wish I'd spent more time cleaning the bathroom grout..."

The same for ironing. Why does it all need to be done at once? My mum irons everything from bedsheets to underwear WHY??? I just grab a shirt from the cupboard, iron it, put it on, head to work/the pub. Job done. Time spent ironing, maybe 1-2 minutes...

S
Yup to all that, I also avoid cooking stuff that takes longer to prepare than it does to eat, unless it lasts more than one meal. Fine hearty stuff not something drizzled in jus.

Having said that the place is wavering on the side of 'grotty' at the moment, will get into it once everyone gets back to work/school ... they don't call it a long weekend for nothing ...
Old Jun 12th 2011, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its the sort of thing a lot of us common people wear I'm afraid, but as the government provides it for free I'm not going to complain
I didn't realise you had supplied work clothes! The State government gives me fire -retardent clothes to work in structure fires...

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
you wear a shirt twice?
No.

Originally Posted by Seasider
My resident IT Geek (who loves The Big Bang Theory) only wears double cuffs. I don't iron shirts (I iron my own stuff about once a quarter, certainly don't do his) so they go to the laundry. It's a stretch on an IT Support Worker's salary but well worth the sacrifice
Good for him...double cuffs are rare in IT.

I am an IT geek and my taste in cheap shirts is legendary.

I would rather employ Man At Big W who can do the work efficiently than a show pony.
Actually, you know what Vim, I find that so many IT workers have similar Cvs I like to see one with a bit of flair. My current team is very dapper and really raises the standard. There's a bit of a comp to wear something different on Fridays now - the sports jackets are coming out.

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
S
Sometimes ironing say 3 shirts in a row gets it over and done with....before I had kids it was easier to one at a time...on demand if you like...now, really I need to do the lot in one go.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 8:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I didn't realise you had supplied work clothes! The State government gives me fire -retardent clothes to work in structure fires...

Govt kindly supplies me with two shirts and one rain jacket; by fair means or foul over the years I've managed to acquire a total of 9 shirts and 3 jackets, 8 + 2 of which are still in my possession (one of each was bartered in exchange for a couple of pints of cider )
Quick wash, hang them up, wearable again a few hours later, no need for this ironing stuff
Old Jun 12th 2011, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold

I mut admi I like a clean and tidy home and Iwouldn't say ours was dirty, but it's not great, but with 2 adults and 2 kids in a small 2 bed flat it's impossible to keep totally decluttered and tidy all the time. THe kids share a room and as there is basically only room for a storage unit and 2 beds they tend to have to bring their toys out into the living room to play. I'm sat here at the moment and my living room floor is a sea of littlest pet shops, intermingled with toast crumbs!!! Tonight they will be told to tiody their toys away as it is the end of the weekend and tomorrow i will hoover it all up. I'm over getting stressed about it, they are only little and need to play.

I try and keep on top of the bathrooms and kitchen before they get to the stage of needing a biohazard suit to enter them

So when i get to Oz next year and get my massive mcmansion with pool and 2 SUV's on the drive my house will be spotless and like a showhome

seriously though i am hoping we can at least rent a place with a room each for the kids and a bit more space for their stuff and ours so we are not all falling over each other like we are now
Old Jun 12th 2011, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Govt kindly supplies me with two shirts and one rain jacket; by fair means or foul over the years I've managed to acquire a total of 9 shirts and 3 jackets, 8 + 2 of which are still in my possession (one of each was bartered in exchange for a couple of pints of cider )
Quick wash, hang them up, wearable again a few hours later, no need for this ironing stuff
Know what you mean, I've acquired quite a few spares..could equip quite a few people in the family in the event of a bushfire
Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:17 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Yup to all that, I also avoid cooking stuff that takes longer to prepare than it does to eat, unless it lasts more than one meal. Fine hearty stuff not something drizzled in jus.

Having said that the place is wavering on the side of 'grotty' at the moment, will get into it once everyone gets back to work/school ... they don't call it a long weekend for nothing ...
typo?
Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

A miracle has occurred- yesterday my OH cooked lunch and dinner, AND bleached the bathroom ceiling, walls and floor which were mouldy.
(I can't balance well enough to stand on chairs to do ceilings.)

That meant I could wash, iron, hoover, clean toilets, sew, deal with the overflowing pool and relax with a glass of merlot. Watched The King's Speech and Toy Story 3 (with DD), so am feeling a bit refreshed today and ready to steam mop the bathroom and kitchen floors, and clean and dust the shelves.

No, I'm not OCD, the house needs an overhaul as we were both so busy in the garden last weekend that it got neglected. As it is raining, he can't paint outside, and we can't garden.

Going to see if he is awake enough to occupy us and reward him for his hard work yesterday.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:10 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Going to see if he is awake enough to occupy us and reward him for his hard work yesterday.
And if he's not awake?

Will you gently wake him?
Old Jun 12th 2011, 11:15 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I like living in a clean and tidy house.

However, I prefer to do other things with my time than cleaning and tidying the house, so it's generally a shithole.

Every so often (especially if guests are expected) I go on a splurge and the entire family are dragged into the madness.

We don't get drop in visitors here, thank God.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy

So do I and it might happen when the bloody teens, partner and dogs leave home

I can spend 2 hours picking up and cleaning and they can bomb it in 10 minutes just by walking in the door.

I have 2 rooms I dont let them into, clean tidy neat sane - bliss
Old Jun 13th 2011, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
And if he's not awake?

Will you gently wake him?
He was awake and has now been rewarded so much he is cooking lunch!!!
Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:03 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy

However, I prefer to do other things with my time than cleaning and tidying the house, so it's generally a shithole.

Every so often (especially if guests are expected) I go on a splurge and the entire family are dragged into the madness.

We don't get drop in visitors here, thank God.
I could have written this myself.

Though I haven't yet mastered the art of dragging the family into clean up madness... even when invited guests are coming... so I have to do it on my own.

We do get unannounced drop ins every now and again but we stop them at the door and don't let them in. I hate drop ins. Amazingly, some repeatedly do it.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I cant relax in mess, although I have some stuff I really need to part with, hasnt been out of the cupboard since we moved and charity would get better use of it so tomorrow I shall clear out anything I havent worn in 6 months or I havent looked at or I no longer love.

And next week I shall buy more clothes.
I can't relax in a messy room either. I try to let things get a bit messy as I think I have inherited the ex's OCD - so has my son and daughter. I make a huge effort to leave things but then it really gets me - so I rush around and clean - even now when I am working - on my way through for a coffee I pick up clothes, dishes etc, run round with the vac and dust..... wish I could relax a bit more tbh
Old Jun 14th 2011, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

I finally got a cleaner who comes once a week to give the place a good sort out. Worth her weight in gold. When i get in from work i give a quick hoover around where its needed . Sort laundry out and the dish washer but living in a house full of untidy males is a real pain.
My parents house belongs on aggie and kim and i cant stand a mess but as long as its tidy for the week end im ok with it.
Mandy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.