Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are You Boycotting Gloria Jeans?

Are You Boycotting Gloria Jeans?

Old Jun 21st 2012, 10:51 am
  #61  
BE Forum Addict
 
lesleys's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Gold Coast Hinterland
Posts: 2,359
lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are You Boycotting Gloria Jeans?

Originally Posted by roaringmouse View Post
Maybe start here, and then search a bit more on the relevant topic.
Written by someone who wants to live on Mars

I worked for the Saudi Arabian national oil company for a good few years. I think the Saudi connection with the USA should not be underestimated.
lesleys is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2012, 11:45 am
  #62  
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,555
IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are You Boycotting Gloria Jeans?

How was the coffee?
Originally Posted by lesleys View Post
Written by someone who wants to live on Mars

I worked for the Saudi Arabian national oil company for a good few years. I think the Saudi connection with the USA should not be underestimated.
IvanM is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2012, 11:57 am
  #63  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
fish.01's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,039
fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are You Boycotting Gloria Jeans?

Originally Posted by roaringmouse View Post
Is it safe to say that everyone who is boycotting certain companies due to possible funding of certain religious groups doesn't drive, or use as a passenger, any vehicle that uses an oil based fuel?
You phrase that in a way that suggests you think people shouldn't do easy boycotting (coffee) if they don't do difficult boycotting (oil) as well? It must be all or nothing. Is that what you mean? Or do you object to the boycotting of christian groups?
fish.01 is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2012, 11:58 am
  #64  
BE Forum Addict
 
lesleys's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Gold Coast Hinterland
Posts: 2,359
lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are You Boycotting Gloria Jeans?

Originally Posted by IvanM View Post
How was the coffee?
Better than Gloria Jeans.

It was the sheep's eyes you had to watch out for
lesleys is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2012, 4:13 pm
  #65  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,396
roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are You Boycotting Gloria Jeans?

Originally Posted by fish.01 View Post
You phrase that in a way that suggests you think people shouldn't do easy boycotting (coffee) if they don't do difficult boycotting (oil) as well? It must be all or nothing. Is that what you mean? Or do you object to the boycotting of christian groups?
No, it's to do with being consistent in boycotting.

If someone chooses to boycott things due to perceived activities supported from their expenditure that they disagree with, then they could at least be consistent.

In your case it was the link to Mercy Ministries (something since closed down), which I remember being in the news and wouldn't disagree with you that there were some examples of bad treatment of people. Others boycotting the company seems to be due to them financially supporting ACL (as in the OP) - which is an organisation that I think both spends a disproportionate amount of time lobbying about gay marriage, and also does not represent all Christians in Australia by any stretch of the imagination.

The question to you: is supporting the spread of Islam fundamentalism, according to many articles, more palatable than supporting ACL which is merely a lobby organisation that doesn't actually "do" that much?
roaringmouse is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2012, 9:44 pm
  #66  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
fish.01's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,039
fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are You Boycotting Gloria Jeans?

Originally Posted by roaringmouse View Post
No, it's to do with being consistent in boycotting.

If someone chooses to boycott things due to perceived activities supported from their expenditure that they disagree with, then they could at least be consistent.

In your case it was the link to Mercy Ministries (something since closed down), which I remember being in the news and wouldn't disagree with you that there were some examples of bad treatment of people. Others boycotting the company seems to be due to them financially supporting ACL (as in the OP) - which is an organisation that I think both spends a disproportionate amount of time lobbying about gay marriage, and also does not represent all Christians in Australia by any stretch of the imagination.

The question to you: is supporting the spread of Islam fundamentalism, according to many articles, more palatable than supporting ACL which is merely a lobby organisation that doesn't actually "do" that much?

"If someone chooses to boycott things due to perceived activities supported from their expenditure that they disagree with, then they could at least be consistent."

Why? Why is some simple boycotting of immoral behaviour not commendable even if not consistent by performing difficult boycotting of all immoral behaviour. I don't understand the logic.

The only logic I can think of that would explain this stance is that you are Christian and annoyed by the boycotts and because of this discredit the boycotts with the argument that unless people equally boycott business that profits islamic faith groups they are not worth doing.

I could be wrong but I am trying to find the logic in your argument to reply to your questions.
fish.01 is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:55 am
  #67  
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,555
IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are You Boycotting Gloria Jeans?

It can put you off your long black when flossy is looking up out of the cup.
Originally Posted by lesleys View Post
Better than Gloria Jeans.

It was the sheep's eyes you had to watch out for
IvanM is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 1:04 am
  #68  
Crazy Cat Lady
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 65,493
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are You Boycotting Gloria Jeans?

Originally Posted by IvanM View Post
It can put you off your long black when flossy is looking up out of the cup.
You call your sheep Flossy?
moneypenny20 is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 1:27 am
  #69  
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,555
IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are You Boycotting Gloria Jeans?

Roasted is preferred.

How do you like it?

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
You call your sheep Flossy?
IvanM is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 1:30 am
  #70  
Crazy Cat Lady
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 65,493
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are You Boycotting Gloria Jeans?

Originally Posted by IvanM View Post
Roasted is preferred.

How do you like it?
Slightly pink and garlicky.
moneypenny20 is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:24 am
  #71  
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,555
IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are You Boycotting Gloria Jeans?

First you need to get your fingers all over with a good rub before it gets put in the oven.
Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
Slightly pink and garlicky.
IvanM is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:35 am
  #72  
Crazy Cat Lady
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 65,493
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are You Boycotting Gloria Jeans?

Originally Posted by IvanM View Post
First you need to get your fingers all over with a good rub before it gets put in the oven.
And don't forget to poke the rosemary in every now and then.
moneypenny20 is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 7:28 am
  #73  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,396
roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are You Boycotting Gloria Jeans?

Originally Posted by fish.01 View Post
Why? Why is some simple boycotting of immoral behaviour not commendable even if not consistent by performing difficult boycotting of all immoral behaviour. I don't understand the logic.
I have not previously made any comment about whether or not boycotting a company is commendable, based on what they may or may not financially support.

What I have said is if someone chooses to boycott for a particular reason, then be consistent with boycotting for that reason.
Originally Posted by fish.01 View Post
The only logic I can think of that would explain this stance is that you are Christian and annoyed by the boycotts and because of this discredit the boycotts with the argument that unless people equally boycott business that profits islamic faith groups they are not worth doing.
Any specific religion or faith is irrelevant here, it's to do with what you consider to be against whatever your belief or moral structure is.

I really don't care about people either buying or not buying from Gloria Jeans, it's their choice and I have nothing to do with the company. I have been to a Gloria Jeans outlet maybe 5 times at the most over the 5 years I've been living in Australia. I also have nothing to do with Hillsong, the ACL, or the now defunct Mercy Ministries.

If I have a faith or religion, then it's nothing to do with my point of being consistent.
Originally Posted by fish.01 View Post
I could be wrong but I am trying to find the logic in your argument to reply to your questions.
The logic is quite simple in what I've said. If you choose to boycott because something is supported that you disagree with, then you should be consistent in doing so otherwise it's bordering on the hypocritical.

If you want to make a stand by boycotting for what you think is morally good then make a stand, and make the point - but be consistent in your boycotting otherwise you will be supporting things you think are morally bad. And also actually make the point to the company, as simply not being a customer doesn't make any point.

I personally think a simple boycott of not buying a cup of coffee from a certain shop doesn't really achieve that much at all in the numbers we're talking about, however you think it does.
roaringmouse is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 7:44 am
  #74  
Frequent Flyer Member
 
bcworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,994
bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are You Boycotting Gloria Jeans?

Originally Posted by roaringmouse View Post
What I have said is if someone chooses to boycott for a particular reason, then be consistent with boycotting for that reason.
You're just being silly now!

Of course people can readily & easily source their coffee from a different outlet.

Your example suggests that they are hypocrites for using products which may in some way fund islamic terrorists. A consumer can not walk into any petrol station and demand petrol sourced from Bass Strait oil as opposed to Saudi Arabian. They can't go to JB and ask for a laptop where the plastic keys are made from South China Sea oil as opposed to that sourced from Iran. In your example the consumer may never fly again...or they're a hypocrite. So be it.
bcworld is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 8:09 am
  #75  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
fish.01's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,039
fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are You Boycotting Gloria Jeans?

Originally Posted by roaringmouse View Post
I have not previously made any comment about whether or not boycotting a company is commendable, based on what they may or may not financially support.

What I have said is if someone chooses to boycott for a particular reason, then be consistent with boycotting for that reason.

Any specific religion or faith is irrelevant here, it's to do with what you consider to be against whatever your belief or moral structure is.

I really don't care about people either buying or not buying from Gloria Jeans, it's their choice and I have nothing to do with the company. I have been to a Gloria Jeans outlet maybe 5 times at the most over the 5 years I've been living in Australia. I also have nothing to do with Hillsong, the ACL, or the now defunct Mercy Ministries.

If I have a faith or religion, then it's nothing to do with my point of being consistent.

The logic is quite simple in what I've said. If you choose to boycott because something is supported that you disagree with, then you should be consistent in doing so otherwise it's bordering on the hypocritical.

If you want to make a stand by boycotting for what you think is morally good then make a stand, and make the point - but be consistent in your boycotting otherwise you will be supporting things you think are morally bad. And also actually make the point to the company, as simply not being a customer doesn't make any point.

I personally think a simple boycott of not buying a cup of coffee from a certain shop doesn't really achieve that much at all in the numbers we're talking about, however you think it does.
I'm sure you can see the difference between choosing a different company to make your coffee because you don't respect their founders values, and abandoning the use of all oil made by everyone. In case your real underlying point is that we should shun any companies run by Muslim extremists who try and sell us coffee like we do Christian one's then I agree. I'll be sure to keep a look out
fish.01 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.