Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:02 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Of course the usual knob ends twist and turn it as they always do
Yea, and you're well known for your non-partisan views ....

Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I think he was agreeing with you!
I was...
Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I was...
That's that one settled then!
Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dodge26
I do love the sun and look forward to it, I think it makes people generally happier,puts them in a good mood. I don't no the stats on it but I'm sure the summer was better years ago.
Maybe the summers appeared warmer because the winters were colder?I recall in the 60's most of winter would be white with thick snow.Last winter we had snow for a week!
Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:48 pm
Peace Frog

dodge26 will become famous soon enoughdodge26 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Maybe the summers appeared warmer because the winters were colder?I recall in the 60's most of winter would be white with thick snow.Last winter we had snow for a week!
Don't mind snow as long as we get the summer.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 1:57 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
If I had to nail my reasons for emigration it would be the lack of work in my trade and the weather. I am satisfied on both counts here but have had to make the trade with average beer and bad chocolate.
- there's plenty of stripogram jobs in Edinburgh - you obviously weren't that good k.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 2:25 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

LOL, it does crack me up a thread started 6 days ago based on the good ol British subject of WEATHER is now 15 pages long.

The UK has a pretty big difference in weather, Here today in Sussex it has been lovely, sunny, dry and not a breath of wind yet the rest of the country had from what I have heard been wet, windy and pretty misserable. We are only a little island in Europe.

However Australia is bleeding Huge, Suprising as it is the weather in QLD aint gonna be anywhere near comparible to that in TAS.

I can from experience state that many buildings in Aus are not equipped for winter however mild, in the same way British houses are. A little insulation and a heating system would not go a miss in many Australian homes. BRRRRRRR

my opinion only
Kala
Old Sep 1st 2009, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Well I've lived in the UK for 10 years now,and I can count on one hand the days I have had to spend indoors because of rain.OH and I are avid walkers and I have to say we spend an awful lot of time walking,including winter.
I agree, what is it with brits banging on about the weather, i lived in many parts of northern europe and the weather is deffinately not better than the UKs worse in many cases, only difference was the locals didnt moan and say they couldnt do anything because of it, a german saying goes " no such thing as bad weather just bad clothing" I dont remember as a kid ever thinking about if it was raining or not cold or hot summer or winter we played outside whatever, summer holidays spent on the south coast were always great fun cant remember the weather much but know we spent most of the time outside having fun. If youve got kids do what they do in northern europe, buy them a one piece waterproof jumpsuit/skisuit and a pair of wellies/skiboots and chuck them outside, kids dont care.
I have worked outside all my adult life and there are really not many days were it rains all day, normally just a few hours.

When you look at the bigger picture the UK has a very favourable climate, very mild and no extremes, Australia on the other hand has a very harsh climate in many areas, drought,bushfires,cyclones,flooding,earthquake are all prevailant in many parts of the country. To move to the other side of the world for a bit of sunshine is a very shallow reason imo.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 3:44 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by papilon
I agree, what is it with brits banging on about the weather, i lived in many parts of northern europe and the weather is deffinately not better than the UKs worse in many cases, only difference was the locals didnt moan and say they couldnt do anything because of it, a german saying goes " no such thing as bad weather just bad clothing" I dont remember as a kid ever thinking about if it was raining or not cold or hot summer or winter we played outside whatever, summer holidays spent on the south coast were always great fun cant remember the weather much but know we spent most of the time outside having fun. If youve got kids do what they do in northern europe, buy them a one piece waterproof jumpsuit/skisuit and a pair of wellies/skiboots and chuck them outside, kids dont care.
I have worked outside all my adult life and there are really not many days were it rains all day, normally just a few hours.

When you look at the bigger picture the UK has a very favourable climate, very mild and no extremes, Australia on the other hand has a very harsh climate in many areas, drought,bushfires,cyclones,flooding,earthquake are all prevailant in many parts of the country. To move to the other side of the world for a bit of sunshine is a very shallow reason imo.
I could be wrong but I'm guessing that very few people move to the other side of the world solely because it's sunny.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 4:07 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

I could be wrong but I'm guessing that very few people move to the other side of the world solely because it's sunny.
Yes, there are beaches also.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 4:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Yes, there are beaches also.
I had beaches in Scotland too....
Old Sep 1st 2009, 4:14 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

I had beaches in Scotland too....
Ok you got me. It must be just because it's sunny afterall.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dodge26
I do love the sun and look forward to it, I think it makes people generally happier,puts them in a good mood. I don't no the stats on it but I'm sure the summer was better years ago.
89 and 90 were cracking summers,being the hottest since the famous scorcher of 76.
Hang in there as there is always next year.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 4:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Ok you got me. It must be just because it's sunny afterall.
Don't be silly. There's parrots too. I came for the sun and lorikeets.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know.... I moved because it usually rained on Wednesdays.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.