British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   The Yes No vote (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/yes-no-vote-903509/)

Beoz Sep 20th 2017 6:08 am

Re: The Yes No vote

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12342106)
I'd agree with you if I didn't think Turnbull was a $120M slopey shouldered No merchant courting both sides. Free vote in parliament and spend that money where it's needed.

We all know he'll vote no, but he'd rather spend my tax on bullshit than risk his career by sticking to his (misguided in my opinion) principles. Prime example of a gutless twat

He kept a promise. That's a big deal for a politician these days.

Look at Bill Shorten. He lies before he has a chance to keep a promise. Scumbag.

He is voting yes BTW. You will probably see him post it on the news just to keep the sceptics at bay.

Beoz Sep 20th 2017 6:10 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12342112)
You don't need to be a leftard snowflake to vote yes, just someone who recognizes their own lack of relevance in the matter.

Religion is relevance for many.

Religion is the pits but it matters to some. 70% in Australia according to the last census.

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 20th 2017 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12342116)
He kept a promise. That's a big deal for a politician these days.

Look at Bill Shorten. He lies before he has a chance to keep a promise. Scumbag.

He is voting yes BTW. You will probably see him post it on the news just to keep the sceptics at bay.

I know he's thrown his weight behind yes, but he knows he won't sway the staunch no voters that follow him, or indeed Shorten. That's what he's banking on.

Throwing his weight behind No would be political suicide and he knows it, it's so transparent it's frightening. I wish there was a video of him before his press conference, 'this'll keep the poofs happy'. This has nothing to do with left and right.

Beoz Sep 20th 2017 9:32 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12342125)
I know he's thrown his weight behind yes, but he knows he won't sway the staunch no voters that follow him, or indeed Shorten. That's what he's banking on.

Throwing his weight behind No would be political suicide and he knows it, it's so transparent it's frightening. I wish there was a video of him before his press conference, 'this'll keep the poofs happy'. This has nothing to do with left and right.

In July 2012, Turnbull was criticised for saying that civil unions should be accepted as a first step toward same-sex marriage in Australia. Turnbull supports same-sex marriage and a conscience vote for Coalition MPs on the issue. However, Tony Abbott did not allow a conscience vote on the issue. Turnbull said that countries that have allowed same-sex marriage, such as the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Norway, Canada and the United Kingdom first had civil unions

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Turnbull

Its not a new thing for Mal.

He also smokes weed and wants Australia to become a republic.

Its a good read. You might learn a few things about Mal.

bcworld Sep 20th 2017 9:49 am

I think everyone (nearly!) knows that Malcolm Turnbull supports marriage equality...and has done for a long time.

I can imagine he fears a yes vote though...it will basically tear the Coalition apart. There's so many scenarios where this plays out badly for him. The conservatives in his own party loathe him...they're just not going to quietly accept a yes win...especially if the result is close. I read the other day that Abbott's electorate is right up there with those that are likely to deliver a high yes vote...I can't see TA voting in parliament representing the views of the people of Warringah if that's the case.

It will go on and on and on and he'll be made to look completely inept having spent that $122m! All the while the next election is looming...

Beoz Sep 20th 2017 9:56 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 12342214)
I think everyone (nearly!) knows that Malcolm Turnbull supports marriage equality...and has done for a long time.

I can imagine he fears a yes vote though...it will basically tear the Coalition apart. There's so many scenarios where this plays out badly for him. The conservatives in his own party loathe him...they're just not going to quietly accept a yes win...especially if the result is close. I read the other day that Abbott's electorate is right up there with those that are likely to deliver a high yes vote...I can't see TA voting in parliament representing the views of the people of Warringah if that's the case.

It will go on and on and on and he'll be made to look completely inept having spent that $122m! All the while the next election is looming...

I think it will be a good thing for Mal. At the end of the day, voters vote for the front man. They are all pretty shallow.

TB's electorate is full of white young people from out of the area and established white bible bashers. It will be interesting for Warringah.

Pulaski Sep 20th 2017 10:13 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12341149)
.... There is no rational reason for voting no. People may have their reasons and they may well stick to them, they're not rational though. ....

Ah yes, the old "everyone who doesn't agree with me, isn't rational" argument. :rolleyes: I have sometimes been known to use it myself. :o

Beoz Sep 20th 2017 11:36 am

No way

https://www.unilad.co.uk/lgbt/gay-marriage-postal-vote-has-bumsex-on-the-barcode/

moneypenny20 Sep 20th 2017 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12342230)
Ah yes, the old "everyone who doesn't agree with me, isn't rational" argument. :rolleyes: I have sometimes been known to use it myself. :o

There you go, no need for sarky karma. :rolleyes: I stick by what I said. People are entitled to their opinions and if they want to vote no they can and will and do. However, with regards to the particular question posed in this moronic extortionately priced survey has nothing to do with anything other than Equality between adults living, working, paying taxes etc and loving in Australia. If you (not you obviously being as it's nothing to do with you at all but yes you're entitled to comment) vote no because you believe in 'Traditional Marriage' that's fine but it's not a rational reason for voting no to Equality. The same with every other reason that's been thrown around for voting no. All humans are often not rational over certain subjects. That doesn't make them irrational as you attempt to accuse me of saying.

Pulaski Sep 20th 2017 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12342357)
.... That doesn't make them irrational as you attempt to accuse me of saying.

Now you sound like Mrs P, inferring something that wasn't there to be inferred. :rolleyes:

Rationality isn't necessarily an exclusive concept - you can have multiple beliefs/ arguments all of which are rational, e.g. there are rational arguments why a flat, bungalow, semi, or detached home is the right choice, and your "rational choice" doesn't exclude the possibility that someone else might make a different but equally rational choice.

But you are trying to claim the moral high ground by dismissing all arguments other than your own as "irrational", and that isn't, .... er, .... rational. :lol:

BTW we had the same vote here in NC a few years ago, and it was binding .... until a couple of years later the Supreme Court of the United States decided they knew better and overruled the outcome.

spouse of scouse Sep 20th 2017 12:46 pm

There you go, no need for sarky karma. :rolleyes: I stick by what I said. People are entitled to their opinions and if they want to vote no they can and will and do. However, with regards to the particular question posed in this moronic extortionately priced survey has nothing to do with anything other than Equality between adults living, working, paying taxes etc and loving in Australia. If you (not you obviously being as it's nothing to do with you at all but yes you're entitled to comment) vote no because you believe in 'Traditional Marriage' that's fine but it's not a rational reason for voting no to Equality. The same with every other reason that's ben thrown around for voting no. All humans are often not rational over certain subjects. That doesn't make them irrational as you attempt to accuse me of saying.

Great comment MP. Having a personal opinion that same sex marriage is wrong is one thing. Denying a whole section of Australian people equality is quite another. As for this stupid bloody plebiscite/vote/survey, it's one of the most blatant and cynical misuses of political power and taxpayer funds that I've seen in Oz.

Beoz Sep 20th 2017 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12342375)
Rationality isn't necessarily an exclusive concept - you can have multiple beliefs/ arguments all of which are rational, e.g. there are rational arguments why a flat, bungalow, semi, or detached home is the right choice, and your "rational choice" doesn't exclude the possibility that someone else might make a different but equally rational choice.

Just saying, Brexit is a better comparison IMHO. Just my choice :)

Beoz Sep 20th 2017 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12342378)
Denying a whole section of Australian people equality is quite another.

Damn religion hey. Its a rare thing, but I tend to agree with Garry on all matters related to religion and marriage. Both are just trouble.

I had no idea that marriage was such a sacred ideal to many members of the community, especially the religous types.

This thing is going to end in bloodshed, especially when the verdict is no.

Amazulu Sep 20th 2017 1:18 pm

There you go, no need for sarky karma. :rolleyes: I stick by what I said. People are entitled to their opinions and if they want to vote no they can and will and do. However, with regards to the particular question posed in this moronic extortionately priced survey has nothing to do with anything other than Equality between adults living, working, paying taxes etc and loving in Australia. If you (not you obviously being as it's nothing to do with you at all but yes you're entitled to comment) vote no because you believe in 'Traditional Marriage' that's fine but it's not a rational reason for voting no to Equality. The same with every other reason that's been thrown around for voting no. All humans are often not rational over certain subjects. That doesn't make them irrational as you attempt to accuse me of saying.

Believing in traditional marriage is not irrational in the context of this current debate. It is basically the status quo in Australia and until recently, much of the western world. You may not agree with this standpoint but it is a perfectly acceptable standpoint to have. It's no coincidence that the west got to where it is today by doing, largely, traditional shit - which is why we're head and shoulder above the rest of the world

There are (at least) 2 sides to every story

carcajou Sep 20th 2017 1:40 pm

"New Muslim Group Launches Campaign Against Same-Sex Marriage"

Nocookies | The Australian

I don't know how this will turn out but I fear Beoz is correct - the religious vote has been badly underestimated, and I think the left has wildly underestimated the social conservatism of the non-white vote.

While I still guess - and it is just a guess - that "yes" will win, I can easily envisage a scenario where the churches, mosques and other religious institutions prove highly effective at mobilizing their voters while the young urban millennials pose with their voting paper for a Facebook selfie, and then toss it in the bin.

If that happens and "no" wins in an upset - the aftermath of that is going to be brutal.