British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   The Yes No vote (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/yes-no-vote-903509/)

GarryP Sep 19th 2017 11:00 pm

Re: The Yes No vote

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12341938)
Like I say, No rational reason! Smh.

There is a rational reason you can use, the Gillard reason. Marriage is a horrible destructive mess, therefore don't inflict it on any more people (eg against marriage entirely). However, in a spirit of not inflicting personal views onto others (something the no camp would do well to learn) it's still a "yes" vote with these two options. Should be a third "fix marriage first" option though.

Amazulu Sep 19th 2017 11:41 pm

'I'm not afraid to stand up for my beliefs': Teen party entertainer 'let go' for same-sex marriage view hits back

More intolerance and anti-free speech - although the woman behind this is just attention seeking

I would though

bcworld Sep 20th 2017 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12341993)
More intolerance and anti-free speech - although the woman behind this is just attention seeking

I would though

I don't agree with what happened there...but its not a whole lot different to what is being threatened here:

Married Sunday, fired Monday: Churches threaten to dismiss staff who wed same-sex partners

Amazulu Sep 20th 2017 12:09 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 12342002)
I don't agree with what happened there...but its not a whole lot different to what is being threatened here:

Married Sunday, fired Monday: Churches threaten to dismiss staff who wed same-sex partners

Like I said, it's on both sides

Turning a lot of people off anyway

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 20th 2017 12:28 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12341972)
There is a rational reason you can use, the Gillard reason. Marriage is a horrible destructive mess, therefore don't inflict it on any more people (eg against marriage entirely). However, in a spirit of not inflicting personal views onto others (something the no camp would do well to learn) it's still a "yes" vote with these two options. Should be a third "fix marriage first" option though.

You can't fix marriage, it's too easy to get into and out of. Commitment isn't necessary anymore

GarryP Sep 20th 2017 12:42 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12342015)
You can't fix marriage, it's too easy to get into and out of. Commitment isn't necessary anymore

Which means if it's temporary you treat it as a temporary contract, each party takes out what they put in, terms for breaking the contract are defined at the start to reflect this, etc.

You don't assume "till death us do part" and you don't even let those under 25 make such a commitment that you know they don't get.

In short, you understand what marriage is actually good for, and you change the structures to match that, rather than some understanding of "women as property" from 1800.

That's what I mean by fix.

Beoz Sep 20th 2017 3:12 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 12342002)

Interesting the last census had no religion at 30%

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]/mediareleasesbyReleaseDate/7E65A144540551D7CA258148000E2B85?OpenDocument

Should the rest of the religions state marriage can only be between a man and a woman, then the "yes" vote could be in trouble.

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 20th 2017 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12342066)
Interesting the last census had no religion at 30%

2016 Census: Religion

Should the rest of the religions state marriage can only be between a man and a woman, then the "yes" vote could be in trouble.

And that is the reason for the vote in the first place, so Turnbull and co can (in the event of a 'no') hold their hands up and say 'will of the people, nowt to do with me' whilst getting everything they want.

If you're against it, vote no. If you're for it, vote yes. If you think it's nothing to do with you, then vote yes.

old.sparkles Sep 20th 2017 4:14 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12342072)
And that is the reason for the vote in the first place, so Turnbull and co can (in the event of a 'no') hold their hands up and say 'will of the people, nowt to do with me' whilst getting everything they want.

If you're against it, vote no. If you're for it, vote yes. If you think it's nothing to do with you, then vote yes.

:goodpost:

Amazulu Sep 20th 2017 5:02 am

If you think it's nothing to do with you, then vote yes.

Or no

Or don't vote at all

Beoz Sep 20th 2017 5:09 am

People power at work.

quoll Sep 20th 2017 5:19 am

I'm a No. lots of reasons to say no imho http://speakupaustralia.com/

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 20th 2017 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12342101)
People power at work.

I'd agree with you if I didn't think Turnbull was a $120M slopey shouldered No merchant courting both sides. Free vote in parliament and spend that money where it's needed.

We all know he'll vote no, but he'd rather spend my tax on bullshit than risk his career by sticking to his (misguided in my opinion) principles. Prime example of a gutless twat

moneypenny20 Sep 20th 2017 5:35 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 12342104)
I'm a No. lots of reasons to say no imho Atomic - Speak Up Australia

Imho there was nothing in there that was either factual or that even made sense.

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 20th 2017 5:54 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 12342104)
I'm a No. lots of reasons to say no imho Atomic - Speak Up Australia

What is this, Facebook? That was utterly bereft of fact, just a massive waste of my time.

I especially liked the bits where it says 80% of gays don't want to get married anyway, so what??? Freedom is freedom to do or not do.

Gay marriage means gay divorce, awesome, but again it has zero to do with me.

The marriage equality instead of the previous Gay marriage, that saves the cost of a vote on transgender marriage in 20 years time, or gender fluid in 40. I'm inclined to thinkg the latter is bollocks anyway to be honest, and many transgender issues are the same, but what is the point in opposing 2 adults getting married?

You don't need to be a leftard snowflake to vote yes, just someone who recognizes their own lack of relevance in the matter.