British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   The Yes No vote (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/yes-no-vote-903509/)

Beoz Oct 7th 2017 9:05 pm

Re: The Yes No vote

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 12355446)
How is it anything other than bigoted to vote No? Bigoted means 'obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, and intolerant towards other people's beliefs and practices'. Synonyms for bigoted include 'prejudiced, biased, partial, one-sided, sectarian, discriminatory'. (Yes, we can all google :D )
How does any of that NOT describe someone who votes no simply because they don't want others to have the same marriage rights as they do?

Looks like you triggered me

So I will admit, I must be a bigot because I dislike religion, and its hypocritical values. I have tried to understand some of the values, especially topics like marriage between a man and a woman, but to me, it doesn't make sense.

Therefore I am unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, and intolerant towards other people's beliefs and practices

Maybe I am not the only bigot out there.

Amazulu Oct 8th 2017 4:16 am

I voted yes because i) I believe it is the right thing to do; ii) what people do within the context of a loving, legal relationship is absolutely nothing to do with me; iii) I believe that all should be treated equally in the eyes of the law; iv) even if i-iii didn't exist, then the No campaign, which has striven to make it about anything except marriage equality, would have infuriated me to vote yes instead of just raging about it on FB.

Please remember, those campaigners for marriage equality did not want a plebiscite or a survey or any of this. They wanted a parliamentary free vote on the issue. So of course, those who this affects, either directly or indirectly, are having to be passionate about this cause. They (or their loved ones) will finally be able to marry if they choose, with all the legal and social benefits that will bring. Do you really think they wouldn't campaign for something that will affect them?

Yes, the No campaign have done themselves no favours, but the Yes campaign have to be prominent otherwise fence sitters and the No campaign will declare that it obviously means nothing to them, so why bother giving it to them?

I know you're a Yes voter, as you've said most eloquently on this thread but that you'd have been fine if your children had voted No - I wouldn't. I would have respected their right to their own opinion, of course, and I probably wouldn't have said anything to them; but I would have been so disappointed that they'd been unable to see that this vote is nothing to do with heterosexual people, because it won't affect heterosexual people in any way.

How is it anything other than bigoted to vote No? Bigoted means 'obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, and intolerant towards other people's beliefs and practices'. Synonyms for bigoted include 'prejudiced, biased, partial, one-sided, sectarian, discriminatory'. (Yes, we can all google :D )
How does any of that NOT describe someone who votes no simply because they don't want others to have the same marriage rights as they do?

If the question had been 'Do you think that all legal relationships should be treated equally in the eyes of the law?', do you think that would have made any difference to the fence sitters? Because of course it would have made no difference to the fervent No campaigners.

Looks like you triggered me :p

This kind of intolerance is one of the reasons I've voted no

The whole yes/no campaign is pointless anyway - if people want it to be yes or no, I doubt that very few are going to be swayed by any argument

the troubadour Oct 8th 2017 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12342853)
That doesn't change the fact that he is a long time supporter of gay marriage.

You see he is a member of a political party which more often than not does the best for all in Australia economically. For these reasons, the majority of people remain happy under a Liberal government. They have jobs and money.

But the Liberals are a coalition of different beliefs. This is a good thing. It means we are not plagued by unionism, beat up the wealthy mentality, and bad economic management that we see from the consistent narrow views in the Labor party.

In this case, the views of gay marriage is far from consistent across the party. Mal's choice is to put that to the people. After all we live in a democracy. If you want communist leanings, Labor is there for you. If you want freedom and choices, the Liberals are there for you.

The vote is all yours.

He has been a long time supporter of gay marriage but so what? A lot of corporations have come out in support as well. Does not in any way threaten the bottom line and may even enhance 'the image' by appearing to be progressive.

Most will be fully aware of whom the Lib's are attuned to. So Social Democracy equates Communism in your eyes? Here's me thinking good government was in power to respond to all interests not just the interests of a few. Namely corporations, the rich while shafting others. Not forgetting selling out the country at the same time. Living standards are declining at a rapid rate of knots. It could be said that the ALP is not far behind in that either .

The plebiscite is a complete and utter joke. A complete waste of time and money. Something which I will not partake in after giving it consideration. Just signs of weak government and a very disliked PM from within and outside.

the troubadour Oct 8th 2017 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12356217)

The whole yes/no campaign is pointless anyway - if people want it to be yes or no, I doubt that very few are going to be swayed by any argument

You mean there was a chance you may have voted YES? Why do I find that difficult to believe?

the troubadour Oct 8th 2017 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12356069)
So I will admit, I must be a bigot because I dislike religion, and its hypocritical values. I have tried to understand some of the values, especially topics like marriage between a man and a woman, but to me, it doesn't make sense.

Therefore I am unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, and intolerant towards other people's beliefs and practices

Maybe I am not the only bigot out there.

And politics isn't as hypocritical? Religion one can choose to what degree they live their life by whatever philosophy they follow. No need to be hypocritical at all. Although being human fragilities will arise as in anything. Total hierocracy is another option. Not a forgone conclusion though.

Nothing smart about being intolerant towards others believes. After all it was the Christian/Judeo tradition that shaped our European culture for good and bad.

No I'm sure there are other supporters of neo liberal politics out there, if happily in decline.

the troubadour Oct 8th 2017 5:57 am

While many of the young, may well be in favour, just how many I wonder will get round to posting their votes? Anything not on line these days may well defeat the best intentions of the Yes crowd.

One may expect this would favour older voters whom may be considered more conservative.

Amazulu Oct 8th 2017 6:04 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12356232)
You mean there was a chance you may have voted YES?

Never a chance

spouse of scouse Oct 8th 2017 6:33 am

I voted yes because i) I believe it is the right thing to do; ii) what people do within the context of a loving, legal relationship is absolutely nothing to do with me; iii) I believe that all should be treated equally in the eyes of the law; iv) even if i-iii didn't exist, then the No campaign, which has striven to make it about anything except marriage equality, would have infuriated me to vote yes instead of just raging about it on FB.

Please remember, those campaigners for marriage equality did not want a plebiscite or a survey or any of this. They wanted a parliamentary free vote on the issue. So of course, those who this affects, either directly or indirectly, are having to be passionate about this cause. They (or their loved ones) will finally be able to marry if they choose, with all the legal and social benefits that will bring. Do you really think they wouldn't campaign for something that will affect them?

Yes, the No campaign have done themselves no favours, but the Yes campaign have to be prominent otherwise fence sitters and the No campaign will declare that it obviously means nothing to them, so why bother giving it to them?

I know you're a Yes voter, as you've said most eloquently on this thread but that you'd have been fine if your children had voted No - I wouldn't. I would have respected their right to their own opinion, of course, and I probably wouldn't have said anything to them; but I would have been so disappointed that they'd been unable to see that this vote is nothing to do with heterosexual people, because it won't affect heterosexual people in any way.

If the question had been 'Do you think that all legal relationships should be treated equally in the eyes of the law?', do you think that would have made any difference to the fence sitters? Because of course it would have made no difference to the fervent No campaigners.

Looks like you triggered me :p

Great post Dreamy. I asked a 'no' voter why they were voting that way - what negative effect did they think gay marriage would have on them personally, or on Australia - no response. Of course people can vote whatever way they want to, but I have zero respect for people who deny same sex couples the legal right to marry.

moneypenny20 Oct 8th 2017 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12356217)

Bullshit.

Pollyana Oct 8th 2017 10:03 am

I went to a same-sex wedding back in the UK, one of the first after it became legal. The couple had already been together for around 6 years and are still good friends of mine.
Their marriage is probably stronger today than ever, they have had ups and downs as every couple does,but have overcome them. Their marriage has outlasted many 'straight' marriages that our friends had, including two of my own. They are simply two people, in love, in a committed long-term relationship.

They are one of the reasons that I didn't even have to think before voting Yes.

What right do any of us have to judge that two people, in love, in a committed long-term relationship, have any less right to be legally recognised as a couple, through marriage, just because they are both of the same sex.

Amazulu Oct 8th 2017 10:24 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12356320)
Bullshit.

CF=0

My opinion

Get over yourself

moneypenny20 Oct 8th 2017 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12356336)
CF=0

My opinion

Get over yourself

Absolutely nothing to get over. You had no intention of voting no as soon as you knew the stupid survey was going to happen. It had nothing to do with any perceived intolerance. Why you'd suggest that was a reason I have no clue.

Beoz Oct 8th 2017 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12356231)
Here's me thinking good government was in power to respond to all interests not just the interests of a few.

Yep. The better governments do that. That's why we are having a vote. That way you can find out who the "all" are, and who the "few" are.

Beoz Oct 8th 2017 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12356330)
I went to a same-sex wedding back in the UK, one of the first after it became legal. The couple had already been together for around 6 years and are still good friends of mine.
Their marriage is probably stronger today than ever, they have had ups and downs as every couple does,but have overcome them. Their marriage has outlasted many 'straight' marriages that our friends had, including two of my own. They are simply two people, in love, in a committed long-term relationship.

They are one of the reasons that I didn't even have to think before voting Yes.

What right do any of us have to judge that two people, in love, in a committed long-term relationship, have any less right to be legally recognised as a couple, through marriage, just because they are both of the same sex.

And?

I have been to 3 gay (sorry same sex) weddings.

Best weddings ever. I will vote yes. But that's my call.

Again, so what. Everyone can have their say.

You seem to be selling it.

the troubadour Oct 8th 2017 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12356538)
Yep. The better governments do that. That's why we are having a vote. That way you can find out who the "all" are, and who the "few" are.

Indecisive and ineffective governments follow such practices. We are not CH having referendums in order to formulate policy.

On matters that really matter, of course like the radical changes proposed in budget before last, to which the Lib's paid dearly in the election, no thoughts of giving a say was policy.