British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   The Yes No vote (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/yes-no-vote-903509/)

moneypenny20 Oct 1st 2017 9:49 am

Re: The Yes No vote

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12349552)
It's not the song itself it's the fact that the yes campaign is getting a platform at the NRL grand final, and the no campaign isn't. I think this could do the yes campaign more harm than good.

It's like these huge companies putting their weight behind Yes. It's one person one vote, by boss doesn't speak on my behalf no matter which way he's voting so he can't stand up and say 'my company of 5000 people is voting yes' and not be full of shit.

We know how stubborn people can be when constantly being told they're ignorant or racist if they vote a certain way, and this is no different. I stand by my assertion that a no vote is born out of prejudice, however you want to dress it up. However, we're all guilty of some sort of prejudice aren't we? This whole thing is a bloody mess, if the idea was to bring the country together, then it's an abject failure. Just the fact that I get a say in the validity of someone elses adult, consentual relationship is ludicrous.

I don't see how it's going to harm the yes campaign. The No voters were always going to vote no regardless of what they say. People who were going to say yes and then apparently changing their minds because of the Yes campaign are simply liars. A US rapper, booked for an event months ago, singing his very popular hit is not going to make one iota of difference to someone who was 'undecided'. It's all complete and utter bullshit. If the No campaign hadn't made such an issue about Macklemore the vast majority of the viewers/attendees wouldn't have even been aware of the lyrics of the song.

Cory Bernardi lying on his robocall should however change people's minds from a no vote to a yes simply because he's a lying piece of homophobic shit. However even that is unlikely to make any difference.

scrubbedexpat098 Oct 1st 2017 10:36 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12350811)
I don't see how it's going to harm the yes campaign. The No voters were always going to vote no regardless of what they say. People who were going to say yes and then apparently changing their minds because of the Yes campaign are simply liars. A US rapper, booked for an event months ago, singing his very popular hit is not going to make one iota of difference to someone who was 'undecided'. It's all complete and utter bullshit. If the No campaign hadn't made such an issue about Macklemore the vast majority of the viewers/attendees wouldn't have even been aware of the lyrics of the song.

Cory Bernardi lying on his robocall should however change people's minds from a no vote to a yes simply because he's a lying piece of homophobic shit. However even that is unlikely to make any difference.

I tend to agree that everyone who's voting has made their minds up already, in fact I've already said it. What about the people that are neither here nor there on it though, and there are plenty.

I 100% agree with the yes campaigne's purpose but the execution (the text and jumping on this rappers song as some sort of campaign song stinks) , and the no campaign's credibility is benifitting from it. I voted yes for one simple reason, that I have no right to pass judgement on someone elses relationship, but that doesn't mean I have to like the way they're running their campaign.

Now you can agree with that or not, it's immaterial, but I know an awful lot of people who've been left with a bitter taste in their mouths because of this, and they're not all biggoted, stupid or even straight.

GarryP Oct 1st 2017 10:41 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12350811)
A US rapper, booked for an event months ago, singing his very popular hit is not going to make one iota of difference to someone who was 'undecided'. It's all complete and utter bullshit. If the No campaign hadn't made such an issue about Macklemore the vast majority of the viewers/attendees wouldn't have even been aware of the lyrics of the song.

Rap songs have lyrics?

I thought they had him 'sing' since the NRL couldn't get anyone good. If Bernardi had kept shtum most of the audience would have been having a wizz and recharging the beers.

old.sparkles Oct 1st 2017 10:59 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12350836)
I tend to agree that everyone who's voting has made their minds up already, in fact I've already said it. What about the people that are neither here nor there on it though, and there are plenty.

I 100% agree with the yes campaigne's purpose but the execution (the text and jumping on this rappers song as some sort of campaign song stinks) , and the no campaign's credibility is benifitting from it. I voted yes for one simple reason, that I have no right to pass judgement on someone elses relationship, but that doesn't mean I have to like the way they're running their campaign.

Now you can agree with that or not, it's immaterial, but I know an awful lot of people who've been left with a bitter taste in their mouths because of this, and they're not all biggoted, stupid or even straight.

I thought it was the No campaign that first jumped on to Same Love - first place I heard it for sure. If they had kept quiet, not sure anyone would have said anything.

As for the texts, I got one and I can't vote but my number will appear on a list somewhere. Certainly less annoying than the pizza texts I get which are about 1 a month, this has been a one off (so far anyway).

It says ' The Marriage Equality Survey forms have arrived! Help make history and vote YES for a fairer Australia.' and a link which I haven't clicked for the Vote Yes campaign.

I personally think the Yes campaign has run a more focussed campaign and tried to ignore some of the hate and misdirection going on from the No side, but I'll admit I'm biased in favour of a yes anyway even if I can't vote. And that's without being subjected to a robocall, but did get stuck listening to Eric Abetz on today's news :(

moneypenny20 Oct 1st 2017 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12350846)
I thought it was the No campaign that first jumped on to Same Love - first place I heard it for sure. If they had kept quiet, not sure anyone would have said anything.

As for the texts, I got one and I can't vote but my number will appear on a list somewhere. Certainly less annoying than the pizza texts I get which are about 1 a month, this has been a one off (so far anyway).

It says ' The Marriage Equality Survey forms have arrived! Help make history and vote YES for a fairer Australia.' and a link which I haven't clicked for the Vote Yes campaign.

I personally think the Yes campaign has run a more focussed campaign and tried to ignore some of the hate and misdirection going on from the No side, but I'll admit I'm biased in favour of a yes anyway even if I can't vote. And that's without being subjected to a robocall, but did get stuck listening to Eric Abetz on today's news :(

I thought it was just a random number generator thing. I didn't get one.

If that's all it said it's most definitely more harmless and less invasive than Cory Bernardi robocall '“As a parent I am deeply concerned about how changing the marriage act will affect families and children. Changing the marriage act will limit the right of parents to object to radical gay sex education and gender ideology programs from being taught in schools. Books like The Gender Fairy, which is aimed at four-year-olds, will become commonplace in our schools.”

In the message, Senator Bernardi goes on to claim that allowing same-sex couples to marry would lead to more programs like “the controversial and misnamed Safe Schools program”, and would result in “removing gender from all areas of society”.
(Gay marriage: Cory Bernardi robo call to Australian homes with ‘vote no’ agenda)

The No crew can't complain about the Yes campaign when they're coming out with crap like that. I don't understand how he's allowed to make that statement when a) it's patently untrue and b) completely irrelevant to the actual question being asked in this dumb survey. I guess the only way they (No) think they can win is by completely muddying the waters so the basic question gets lost.

old.sparkles Oct 1st 2017 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12350897)

If that's all it said it's most definitely more harmless and less invasive than Cory Bernardi robocall '“As a parent I am deeply concerned about how changing the marriage act will affect families and children. Changing the marriage act will limit the right of parents to object to radical gay sex education and gender ideology programs from being taught in schools. Books like The Gender Fairy, which is aimed at four-year-olds, will become commonplace in our schools.”

In the message, Senator Bernardi goes on to claim that allowing same-sex couples to marry would lead to more programs like “the controversial and misnamed Safe Schools program”, and would result in “removing gender from all areas of society”.
(Gay marriage: Cory Bernardi robo call to Australian homes with ‘vote no’ agenda)

The No crew can't complain about the Yes campaign when they're coming out with crap like that. I don't understand how he's allowed to make that statement when a) it's patently untrue and b) completely irrelevant to the actual question being asked in this dumb survey. I guess the only way they (No) think they can win is by completely muddying the waters so the basic question gets lost.

Eric Abetz was saying similar on the news - a yes vote apparrantly means an end to religious freedom, an end to conscientious objection, etc

Pollyana Oct 1st 2017 12:46 pm

And now the ABS throws another curved ball into the mix. By now anyone entitled to vote should have received their voting papers, and if they haven't they can contact the ABS for a new one.
Friend of mine did just that on Friday. Born and bred Australian, Aussie parents etc, lived here all his life, voted in every election since he was able to sign up. The ABS told him that not only is he not registered to vote, but he has never been registered to vote. His details do not appear on any list of voters available to them, and they calmly informed him that if he has been voting in Aussie elections for the last 30 years then he has been doing so illegally.
Slightly stunned, he has now engaged the assistance of his Federal MP, if only to establish what shonky list the ABS is using.........

Lion in Winter Oct 1st 2017 8:32 pm

This was a better song anyway. :)

scrubbedexpat098 Oct 1st 2017 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12350897)

This is my point though, the yes campaign has no case to make, we know you're not going to change the minds of no voters, and people on the fence are only going to vote no if it's out of spite, so what exactly are they campaigning for? There is literally no need for a yes campaign.

If anyone wants to tell me the reasons I should be voting a certain way they can turn up on my doorstep and risk being told to piss off.

Sooner this is done and dusted the sooner we can all move on, we all knew the no campaign was going to be hateful and full of crap, they essentially would have been campaigning for yes at the same time for the fence sitters that could recognize that.

Amazulu Oct 2nd 2017 9:52 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12351237)
we all knew the no campaign was going to be hateful and full of crap, they essentially would have been campaigning for yes at the same time for the fence sitters that could recognize that.

I agree with this but there has been plenty of hate, intolerance and bullshit from the yes side too

I reckon that some of the antics from the yes campaign will have turned a lot of people off

GarryP Oct 2nd 2017 11:16 am

Suggestion is that 77% of people have already returned their forms (though if auspost have delivered them ....)

64.3% have returned with a yes vote, and 6% plan to return a yes vote = 70%

5.5% have returned with a no vote, and 5.7% plan to return a no vote = 11%

The rest either don't plan to bother, haven't got the form, or won't say (who well might be no). Say 18.5%

Which suggests that the vote is likely to be strong enough to overrule the Abbott types (80%:20%), and there's not much point continuing with adverts, robocalls, etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...-postal-survey

Lion in Winter Oct 2nd 2017 1:50 pm

Well done Australia.

This should really be a non-issue in 2017.

scrubbedexpat098 Oct 2nd 2017 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12351726)
Well done Australia.

This should really be a non-issue in 2017.

Every country has issues that others find mind boggling, I suppose it's a drawback of democracy if you want to look at it like that.

scrubbedexpat098 Oct 2nd 2017 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12351529)
I agree with this but there has been plenty of hate, intolerance and bullshit from the yes side too

I reckon that some of the antics from the yes campaign will have turned a lot of people off

I was disappointed that the yes campaign wasn't as quietly dignified as I'd expected. Enough minds were made up prior to the vote to secure a result.

moneypenny20 Oct 3rd 2017 12:03 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12352185)
I was disappointed that the yes campaign wasn't as quietly dignified as I'd expected. Enough minds were made up prior to the vote to secure a result.

You're joking right? People who have been abused and victimised for years, find themselves having to ask complete strangers if it's ok for them to be treated equally in every way and they shouldn't get a bit shirty about it? They should be dignified whilst complete strangers are encouraged to abuse and attack them and call them all manner of obscene names whilst watching the likes of Tony Abbott mouth off about them? Who, in the name of sanity, would stay dignified in that scenario?