British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   The Yes No vote (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/yes-no-vote-903509/)

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 19th 2017 5:05 am

The Yes No vote

What a waste of time and money, if they really want to gauge public opinion on it they should hold public meetings and use Hughie Green's old clapometer. I had my first no campaign leaflet delivered today, they reckon gay marriage will impact on schools, free speech and religion, and at the bottom it says 'vote no to protect your freedoms. I couldn't help thinking what a load of horse shit.

I voted yes

GarryP Sep 19th 2017 5:20 am

Re: The Yes No vote

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12341135)
What a waste of time and money, ...

I voted yes

I don't even have a voting form as yet.

If you are going to all this trouble to hold a vote .... sorry, survey, then why not include more key issues on the page? Wouldn't cost any more and you could ... survey ... things like euthanasia, GST on imports, coal subsidies, taxing Gina till she squeals, fibre NBN for all, dropping Abbott out of a plane without a parachute, banning corporate donations, federal ICAC, etc.

Where was the amendment for that when they were having the parliamentary vote on a vote?

moneypenny20 Sep 19th 2017 5:38 am

The whole thing is making me seriously ****ing angry. People saying they're voting no because their poor little sensibilities are hurt. No thought given to LGBTI folk who have been victimised to the point of suicide for years. There is no rational reason for voting no. People may have their reasons and they may well stick to them, they're not rational though. Haven't had any campaign bumpf, just the forms which have now been sent back.

Whole thing is a crock. :mad:

Amazulu Sep 19th 2017 6:17 am

Yes, the whole thing is a total waste of money and effort - we elect politicians to make decisions on out behalf and then vote them in or out if we agree or disagree. All I see is politicians hedging their bets and covering their backsides (yes, I know there's a joke in there but I will leave that to others). Make decisions and live or die by them

I've voted no (there's a surprise) but I'm seeing plenty of intolerance and hysteria from both sides - just look at the Woolworths boycott calls because the guy who ran it 11 years ago is promoting no - pathetic. I'm not going to boycott Qantas because the Leprechaun is promoting yes

I take exception to being called homophobic because I'm against gay marriage although tolerant of homosexuality. Wankers

Beoz Sep 19th 2017 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12341169)
Yes, the whole thing is a total waste of money and effort - we elect politicians to make decisions on out behalf and then vote them in or out if we agree or disagree. All I see is politicians hedging their bets and covering their backsides (yes, I know there's a joke in there but I will leave that to others). Make decisions and live or die by them

I've voted no (there's a surprise) but I'm seeing plenty of intolerance and hysteria from both sides - just look at the Woolworths boycott calls because the guy who ran it 11 years ago is promoting no - pathetic. I'm not going to boycott Qantas because the Leprechaun is promoting yes

I take exception to being called homophobic because I'm against gay marriage although tolerant of homosexuality. Wankers

Yep. The intolerance is disgraceful.

Personally I will be voting yes. I can't see any issues from any country which has allowed gay marriage.

I feel more for the children who don't get to grow up living with opposite sexes as parents, of course that goes for single parents too but that situation is unavoidable.

Since that is already legal in this country then onward and upwards with gay marriage. ............ and the weddings rock.

jad n rich Sep 19th 2017 12:09 pm

Most hypocritical comment yet, male who will be voting no, " because marriage is sacred, traditional, shouldn't be messed with".

Same male who screws around on his wife.

As for me, voting yes, but total waste of time and money.

Have an invite later in week to an event in QLD, Pauline Hanson will be there, could be some fine conversation opportunities there :lol:

Tom Sawyer Sep 19th 2017 12:18 pm

I don't really have a preference either way, but as I haven't heard a decent argument against the proposal, and not being religious....if I express an opinion....I'll be voting yes.

However, what really irks me is as others have said, we vote in a Government/Parliament to deal with these issues.So they have failed to carry out the basic task they were voted in to do, and waste a tonne of money in the process. I'd like to thank Abbot and his mob of history dwelling, religious zealot, dogma spouting "conservatives" for causing this situation that is nothing more than some spite aimed at Malcolm Turnbull for unseating him. I'd normally vote Liberal, but at the next election, I'm not so sure if I think I will still have to suffer him playing his sulky games. Maybe him and his mate Corey B should set up their own nasty party and get on with it and leave the rest of the Liberal's to reclaim the centre ground.

moneypenny20 Sep 19th 2017 12:24 pm

Well Turnbull has confirmed that if the 'no' vote is successful the issue will be dropped completely. If he was any sort of leader he should therefore confirm that if the 'yes' vote is successful, then it would automatically be sorted in Parliament. Instead he has said repeatedly that should 'yes' win, he still won't push it to Parliament.

The man is a spineless piece of shit.

carcajou Sep 19th 2017 1:13 pm

Yes supporter.

I cannot understand why this wasn't handled in Parliament. Would have been done and dusted quickly and saved the country this prolonged expense and nastiness.

I am appalled at the bigotry and intolerance from both sides and the amount of bullying and double standards going on.

Beoz Sep 19th 2017 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12341341)
Well Turnbull has confirmed that if the 'no' vote is successful the issue will be dropped completely. If he was any sort of leader he should therefore confirm that if the 'yes' vote is successful, then it would automatically be sorted in Parliament. Instead he has said repeatedly that should 'yes' win, he still won't push it to Parliament.

The man is a spineless piece of shit.

Spineless would be a man who didn't keep an election promise.

Feel free to vote for Bill Shorten.

moneypenny20 Sep 19th 2017 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12341392)
Spineless would be a man who didn't keep an election promise.

Feel free to vote for Bill Shorten.

Thanks for giving me permission to do what I've done for the past few elections. Very good of you.

DeadVim Sep 19th 2017 2:46 pm

I've voted Yes because 10 years down the track why shouldn't everyone be given the opportunity to be trapped in a loveless sexless relationship being maintained for the sake of the children and/or financial stability?

#loveislove

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 19th 2017 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 12341515)
I've voted Yes because 10 years down the track why shouldn't everyone be given the opportunity to be trapped in a loveless sexless relationship being maintained for the sake of the children and/or financial stability?

#loveislove

Haha, that's about what I said to my cousin, 'Don't see why you should get to be happy' haha

Dreamy Sep 19th 2017 10:03 pm

One comment I saw yesterday (paraphrasing because I've run out of eye bleach and don't dare venture back again)
'I'm not against gay people but if we let them get married it'll open the flood gates for muslims to do what they want'.

Erm... ok.

moneypenny20 Sep 19th 2017 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 12341904)
One comment I saw yesterday (paraphrasing because I've run out of eye bleach and don't dare venture back again)
'I'm not against gay people but if we let them get married it'll open the flood gates for muslims to do what they want'.

Erm... ok.

Like I say, No rational reason! Smh.

GarryP Sep 20th 2017 12:00 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12341938)
Like I say, No rational reason! Smh.

There is a rational reason you can use, the Gillard reason. Marriage is a horrible destructive mess, therefore don't inflict it on any more people (eg against marriage entirely). However, in a spirit of not inflicting personal views onto others (something the no camp would do well to learn) it's still a "yes" vote with these two options. Should be a third "fix marriage first" option though.

Amazulu Sep 20th 2017 12:41 am

'I'm not afraid to stand up for my beliefs': Teen party entertainer 'let go' for same-sex marriage view hits back

More intolerance and anti-free speech - although the woman behind this is just attention seeking

I would though

bcworld Sep 20th 2017 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12341993)
More intolerance and anti-free speech - although the woman behind this is just attention seeking

I would though

I don't agree with what happened there...but its not a whole lot different to what is being threatened here:

Married Sunday, fired Monday: Churches threaten to dismiss staff who wed same-sex partners

Amazulu Sep 20th 2017 1:09 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 12342002)
I don't agree with what happened there...but its not a whole lot different to what is being threatened here:

Married Sunday, fired Monday: Churches threaten to dismiss staff who wed same-sex partners

Like I said, it's on both sides

Turning a lot of people off anyway

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 20th 2017 1:28 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12341972)
There is a rational reason you can use, the Gillard reason. Marriage is a horrible destructive mess, therefore don't inflict it on any more people (eg against marriage entirely). However, in a spirit of not inflicting personal views onto others (something the no camp would do well to learn) it's still a "yes" vote with these two options. Should be a third "fix marriage first" option though.

You can't fix marriage, it's too easy to get into and out of. Commitment isn't necessary anymore

GarryP Sep 20th 2017 1:42 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12342015)
You can't fix marriage, it's too easy to get into and out of. Commitment isn't necessary anymore

Which means if it's temporary you treat it as a temporary contract, each party takes out what they put in, terms for breaking the contract are defined at the start to reflect this, etc.

You don't assume "till death us do part" and you don't even let those under 25 make such a commitment that you know they don't get.

In short, you understand what marriage is actually good for, and you change the structures to match that, rather than some understanding of "women as property" from 1800.

That's what I mean by fix.

Beoz Sep 20th 2017 4:12 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 12342002)

Interesting the last census had no religion at 30%

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]/mediareleasesbyReleaseDate/7E65A144540551D7CA258148000E2B85?OpenDocument

Should the rest of the religions state marriage can only be between a man and a woman, then the "yes" vote could be in trouble.

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 20th 2017 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12342066)
Interesting the last census had no religion at 30%

2016 Census: Religion

Should the rest of the religions state marriage can only be between a man and a woman, then the "yes" vote could be in trouble.

And that is the reason for the vote in the first place, so Turnbull and co can (in the event of a 'no') hold their hands up and say 'will of the people, nowt to do with me' whilst getting everything they want.

If you're against it, vote no. If you're for it, vote yes. If you think it's nothing to do with you, then vote yes.

old.sparkles Sep 20th 2017 5:14 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12342072)
And that is the reason for the vote in the first place, so Turnbull and co can (in the event of a 'no') hold their hands up and say 'will of the people, nowt to do with me' whilst getting everything they want.

If you're against it, vote no. If you're for it, vote yes. If you think it's nothing to do with you, then vote yes.

:goodpost:

Amazulu Sep 20th 2017 6:02 am

If you think it's nothing to do with you, then vote yes.

Or no

Or don't vote at all

Beoz Sep 20th 2017 6:09 am

People power at work.

quoll Sep 20th 2017 6:19 am

I'm a No. lots of reasons to say no imho http://speakupaustralia.com/

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 20th 2017 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12342101)
People power at work.

I'd agree with you if I didn't think Turnbull was a $120M slopey shouldered No merchant courting both sides. Free vote in parliament and spend that money where it's needed.

We all know he'll vote no, but he'd rather spend my tax on bullshit than risk his career by sticking to his (misguided in my opinion) principles. Prime example of a gutless twat

moneypenny20 Sep 20th 2017 6:35 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 12342104)
I'm a No. lots of reasons to say no imho Atomic - Speak Up Australia

Imho there was nothing in there that was either factual or that even made sense.

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 20th 2017 6:54 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 12342104)
I'm a No. lots of reasons to say no imho Atomic - Speak Up Australia

What is this, Facebook? That was utterly bereft of fact, just a massive waste of my time.

I especially liked the bits where it says 80% of gays don't want to get married anyway, so what??? Freedom is freedom to do or not do.

Gay marriage means gay divorce, awesome, but again it has zero to do with me.

The marriage equality instead of the previous Gay marriage, that saves the cost of a vote on transgender marriage in 20 years time, or gender fluid in 40. I'm inclined to thinkg the latter is bollocks anyway to be honest, and many transgender issues are the same, but what is the point in opposing 2 adults getting married?

You don't need to be a leftard snowflake to vote yes, just someone who recognizes their own lack of relevance in the matter.

Beoz Sep 20th 2017 7:08 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12342106)
I'd agree with you if I didn't think Turnbull was a $120M slopey shouldered No merchant courting both sides. Free vote in parliament and spend that money where it's needed.

We all know he'll vote no, but he'd rather spend my tax on bullshit than risk his career by sticking to his (misguided in my opinion) principles. Prime example of a gutless twat

He kept a promise. That's a big deal for a politician these days.

Look at Bill Shorten. He lies before he has a chance to keep a promise. Scumbag.

He is voting yes BTW. You will probably see him post it on the news just to keep the sceptics at bay.

Beoz Sep 20th 2017 7:10 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12342112)
You don't need to be a leftard snowflake to vote yes, just someone who recognizes their own lack of relevance in the matter.

Religion is relevance for many.

Religion is the pits but it matters to some. 70% in Australia according to the last census.

scrubbedexpat098 Sep 20th 2017 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12342116)
He kept a promise. That's a big deal for a politician these days.

Look at Bill Shorten. He lies before he has a chance to keep a promise. Scumbag.

He is voting yes BTW. You will probably see him post it on the news just to keep the sceptics at bay.

I know he's thrown his weight behind yes, but he knows he won't sway the staunch no voters that follow him, or indeed Shorten. That's what he's banking on.

Throwing his weight behind No would be political suicide and he knows it, it's so transparent it's frightening. I wish there was a video of him before his press conference, 'this'll keep the poofs happy'. This has nothing to do with left and right.

Beoz Sep 20th 2017 10:32 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12342125)
I know he's thrown his weight behind yes, but he knows he won't sway the staunch no voters that follow him, or indeed Shorten. That's what he's banking on.

Throwing his weight behind No would be political suicide and he knows it, it's so transparent it's frightening. I wish there was a video of him before his press conference, 'this'll keep the poofs happy'. This has nothing to do with left and right.

In July 2012, Turnbull was criticised for saying that civil unions should be accepted as a first step toward same-sex marriage in Australia. Turnbull supports same-sex marriage and a conscience vote for Coalition MPs on the issue. However, Tony Abbott did not allow a conscience vote on the issue. Turnbull said that countries that have allowed same-sex marriage, such as the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Norway, Canada and the United Kingdom first had civil unions

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Turnbull

Its not a new thing for Mal.

He also smokes weed and wants Australia to become a republic.

Its a good read. You might learn a few things about Mal.

bcworld Sep 20th 2017 10:49 am

I think everyone (nearly!) knows that Malcolm Turnbull supports marriage equality...and has done for a long time.

I can imagine he fears a yes vote though...it will basically tear the Coalition apart. There's so many scenarios where this plays out badly for him. The conservatives in his own party loathe him...they're just not going to quietly accept a yes win...especially if the result is close. I read the other day that Abbott's electorate is right up there with those that are likely to deliver a high yes vote...I can't see TA voting in parliament representing the views of the people of Warringah if that's the case.

It will go on and on and on and he'll be made to look completely inept having spent that $122m! All the while the next election is looming...

Beoz Sep 20th 2017 10:56 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 12342214)
I think everyone (nearly!) knows that Malcolm Turnbull supports marriage equality...and has done for a long time.

I can imagine he fears a yes vote though...it will basically tear the Coalition apart. There's so many scenarios where this plays out badly for him. The conservatives in his own party loathe him...they're just not going to quietly accept a yes win...especially if the result is close. I read the other day that Abbott's electorate is right up there with those that are likely to deliver a high yes vote...I can't see TA voting in parliament representing the views of the people of Warringah if that's the case.

It will go on and on and on and he'll be made to look completely inept having spent that $122m! All the while the next election is looming...

I think it will be a good thing for Mal. At the end of the day, voters vote for the front man. They are all pretty shallow.

TB's electorate is full of white young people from out of the area and established white bible bashers. It will be interesting for Warringah.

Pulaski Sep 20th 2017 11:13 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12341149)
.... There is no rational reason for voting no. People may have their reasons and they may well stick to them, they're not rational though. ....

Ah yes, the old "everyone who doesn't agree with me, isn't rational" argument. :rolleyes: I have sometimes been known to use it myself. :o

Beoz Sep 20th 2017 12:36 pm

No way

https://www.unilad.co.uk/lgbt/gay-marriage-postal-vote-has-bumsex-on-the-barcode/

moneypenny20 Sep 20th 2017 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12342230)
Ah yes, the old "everyone who doesn't agree with me, isn't rational" argument. :rolleyes: I have sometimes been known to use it myself. :o

There you go, no need for sarky karma. :rolleyes: I stick by what I said. People are entitled to their opinions and if they want to vote no they can and will and do. However, with regards to the particular question posed in this moronic extortionately priced survey has nothing to do with anything other than Equality between adults living, working, paying taxes etc and loving in Australia. If you (not you obviously being as it's nothing to do with you at all but yes you're entitled to comment) vote no because you believe in 'Traditional Marriage' that's fine but it's not a rational reason for voting no to Equality. The same with every other reason that's been thrown around for voting no. All humans are often not rational over certain subjects. That doesn't make them irrational as you attempt to accuse me of saying.

Pulaski Sep 20th 2017 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12342357)
.... That doesn't make them irrational as you attempt to accuse me of saying.

Now you sound like Mrs P, inferring something that wasn't there to be inferred. :rolleyes:

Rationality isn't necessarily an exclusive concept - you can have multiple beliefs/ arguments all of which are rational, e.g. there are rational arguments why a flat, bungalow, semi, or detached home is the right choice, and your "rational choice" doesn't exclude the possibility that someone else might make a different but equally rational choice.

But you are trying to claim the moral high ground by dismissing all arguments other than your own as "irrational", and that isn't, .... er, .... rational. :lol:

BTW we had the same vote here in NC a few years ago, and it was binding .... until a couple of years later the Supreme Court of the United States decided they knew better and overruled the outcome.