The Yes No vote

Old Sep 22nd 2017, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Yes No vote

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
It was my turn at Grammar school though, 2 of them. My crime?? I was the council house kid in a largely middle class environment.
You were bullied because of money? Is that really the reason?

Just asking - In my boys only school we had a number of very poor boys on sporting scholarships. There was never any bullying directed at them due to wealth. Maybe it was because they were good at sport.

Even so, rich or poor, wealth was never a source of it. It was usually over appearance. Fat, gingers, etc.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beoz

Just asking - In my boys only school we had a number of very poor boys on sporting scholarships. There was never any bullying directed at them due to wealth. Maybe it was because they were good at sport.

Even so, rich or poor, wealth was never a source of it. It was usually over appearance. Fat, gingers, etc.
I was there I know exactly what it was about, money and social standing. You know nothing on the subject quite obviously.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat098; Sep 22nd 2017 at 9:15 pm. Reason: misread Beoz's post
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I was there I know exactly what it was about, money and social standing. You know nothing on the subject quite obviously.
I do know nothing about your circumstance hence asking the question.

But on the topic, yes I know a little bit about wealth diversity within a boys private school.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

I do know nothing about your circumstance hence asking the question.

But on the topic, yes I know a little bit about wealth diversity within a boys private school.
Talking rubbish and taking a hot crumpet from behind. A+
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 11:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Mine was just a common-or-garden mixed comprehensive, and those who got bullied the most were the richest and the poorest. There was a small amount of picking on those who were 'different' but for consistent bullying it was those who turned up in a posh car with the best uniform money could buy, they suffered. And those who came in shoes with holes in, and hand-me-down uniforms, and never went on school trips - they got it even worse.
All down to money.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 9:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Mine was just a common-or-garden mixed comprehensive, and those who got bullied the most were the richest and the poorest. There was a small amount of picking on those who were 'different' but for consistent bullying it was those who turned up in a posh car with the best uniform money could buy, they suffered. And those who came in shoes with holes in, and hand-me-down uniforms, and never went on school trips - they got it even worse.
All down to money.
Yep

When you dig a bit deeper with your average bully, you usually find out what pathetic cases they really are. They feel inferior in their home lives and feel the need to lord it over someone else. It almost makes you feel sorry for them. Almost, but not quite.

Went to see Elton John last night, and hats off to him for not turning it into a massive vote yes fest, didn't go for a political rally. Course there were afew people holding up posters but there were always going to be. He was bloody briliant, and we only scored the tickets about an hour before the show. He played Mackay on Saturday, Wollongong last night, good on him, you city folk usually get all the good stuff
Old Sep 25th 2017, 4:51 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting how this has turned from a thread about Yes/No to other social issues. I think it actually tells a lot about the dliemma some are finding with how to decide and what/how/when it impacts them.
I am always ambivalent, if it doesn't bother me, I don't bother it. My only public complaint is the absolutely ridiculous TV ads about suggesting that changing legislation will force my kids to accept 'radical education' about gender issues. It is so pathetic and every time I see it I just want to grab the TV Actor and say "seriously? , just how desperate for work are you that you need to act out this pile of dung?". "he will be forced to wear a dress to school, he will be challenged on his identity" Seriously? You really believe that? I'm stuffed then, being made to play a donkey in the school nativity must have really done me for a kipper!!
I also agree that this 'survey' is just a political stunt and will count for nothing. Oh, apart from stirring up passions/arguments between friends/collegeagues....bit like Brexit really, although that at least had a definite outcome.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 5:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paddyo
Interesting how this has turned from a thread about Yes/No to other social issues. I think it actually tells a lot about the dliemma some are finding with how to decide and what/how/when it impacts them.
I am always ambivalent, if it doesn't bother me, I don't bother it. My only public complaint is the absolutely ridiculous TV ads about suggesting that changing legislation will force my kids to accept 'radical education' about gender issues. It is so pathetic and every time I see it I just want to grab the TV Actor and say "seriously? , just how desperate for work are you that you need to act out this pile of dung?". "he will be forced to wear a dress to school, he will be challenged on his identity" Seriously? You really believe that? I'm stuffed then, being made to play a donkey in the school nativity must have really done me for a kipper!!
I also agree that this 'survey' is just a political stunt and will count for nothing. Oh, apart from stirring up passions/arguments between friends/collegeagues....bit like Brexit really, although that at least had a definite outcome.
I've thought and thought, but I can't think of any rational reason for me to vote no. There's no argument I can see that can't be attributed to prejudice. The day when people will be defined by their actions and humanity rather than what they get up to in bed will be glorious indeed.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I've thought and thought, but I can't think of any rational reason for me to vote no. There's no argument I can see that can't be attributed to prejudice. The day when people will be defined by their actions and humanity rather than what they get up to in bed will be glorious indeed.
There's a factor you're missing, that's simply marriage as an institution and how it's changed over the years.

Simply marriage has now become a throwaway commodity.

My big issue has come to the fore on these boards before and it's caused real problems, That is split-ups and their glorification and revelling in them and the one-sided witch hunts on the errant partner... Takes two to Tango and it always has done. Especially those who manage to break up multiple times. It really is the cause of so many base problems in society today, that in my view it needs to be seriously looked at. I wont hold my breath, probably generations of degredation to go before society says enough is enough, but these things always turn around eventually.

I think marriage should be much much much harder for everyone to get into and almost impossible to get out of.

That's my own unique individual viewpoint and has very little if anything to do with the gay community.

Fix that, and I'll be happy for gays to get married under the reformed as it was in the past restored to high-status marriage.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But you were one who was disgusted by the intolerance of the stay camp during Brexit. Just because you can't see any reason for not voting yes, others may disagree, especially those who have devoted their lives to something weird like religion where their rule book says, "marriage is between a man and a woman".
Old Sep 25th 2017, 7:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
There's a factor you're missing, that's simply marriage as an institution and how it's changed over the years.

Simply marriage has now become a throwaway commodity.

My big issue has come to the fore on these boards before and it's caused real problems, That is split-ups and their glorification and revelling in them and the one-sided witch hunts on the errant partner... Takes two to Tango and it always has done. Especially those who manage to break up multiple times. It really is the cause of so many base problems in society today, that in my view it needs to be seriously looked at. I wont hold my breath, probably generations of degredation to go before society says enough is enough, but these things always turn around eventually.

I think marriage should be much much much harder for everyone to get into and almost impossible to get out of.

That's my own unique individual viewpoint and has very little if anything to do with the gay community.

Fix that, and I'll be happy for gays to get married under the reformed as it was in the past restored to high-status marriage.
The ease/difficulty of getting into marriage is irrelevant to this subject IMO. Marriage was forever years ago before people found out that they didn't HAVE to stick around in abusive or loveless relationships, now people don't stick around to see if things get any better.

From that viewpoint you could argue that the quality of long marriages has actually improved as they're more likely to have stayed together because they actually want to.

A marriage is only as meaningful and sacred as the couple make it, nothing about that will ever change, no matter who's allowed to join the club.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 7:15 am
Account Closed

But you were one who was disgusted by the intolerance of the stay camp during Brexit. Just because you can't see any reason for not voting yes, others may disagree, especially those who have devoted their lives to something weird like religion where their rule book says, "marriage is between a man and a woman".
Where have I stated disgust or intolerance towards no voters? All I said is that there's no reason I can see that can't be attributed to prejudice. Brexit affected everyone in Britain, same sex marriage affects the same sex couples who want to get married, very different.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Where have I stated disgust or intolerance towards no voters? All I said is that there's no reason I can see that can't be attributed to prejudice. Brexit affected everyone in Britain, same sex marriage affects the same sex couples who want to get married, very different.
Religion. Very prejudice but for some reason we as society find that type of stuff acceptable.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 11:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
T
There speaks a happily married man who has never caused or suffered terrible spousal abuse.

I don't understand why you think rules for any marriage need tightening up or whatever. Your marriage is yours. It can't be damaged, improved or changed because of anyone else's. No other marriage is like yours, mine isn't even if we'd said the same words at the same event when our marriages started. It's simply a contract between two individuals and how you manage that contract is also individual to you. One size does not fit all.

Not having a go, I just don't get why people think that there is only one correct way to do something, whatever that something may be.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

Religion. Very prejudice but for some reason we as society find that type of stuff acceptable.
I didn't specify the source of the prejudice as there are many, but prejudice they are no matter their source. Religion, ignorance, fear even all lead to the dreaded P word. There is no reason I can see that doesn't simply equate to 'well it just aint right is it?' and let's face it the only defence of that is 'well I'm entitled to my opinion'. That's true, but having that strong a negative opinion of something that doesn't affect you one bit, seems a bit selfish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.